Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> Needlework and Sewing
How to make a pillow sham

penguin

Post Tue, Dec 28 2021, 5:44 pm
I know how to do it with two overlapping pieces on the back.

However, here I thought I could just fold up the end and have an opening on the short side, but it didn't work. (I am not sure if I have any more fabric besides the extra long ends that should somehow be able to be made into an overlap?)

I tried googling but I'm getting the first type.

If you can explain it or maybe know of a tutorial I would much appreciate.

yo'ma

Post Wed, Dec 29 2021, 6:35 am
penguin wrote:
However, here I thought I could just fold up the end and have an opening on the short side, but it didn't work. (I am not sure if I have any more fabric besides the extra long ends that should somehow be able to be made into an overlap?)

I would love to try to help you, but I don’t understand.

Elfrida

Post Wed, Dec 29 2021, 7:23 am
When you sew it, one side needs to be folded over and sewn in, so you have a pocket that will hold the pillow in place.

One one side, say the upper side, you cut the fabric to the size you want, and hem the open edge. One the other side, cut the fabric four or five inches longer than you want, and hem that edge.

Pin the right sides of the fabric together. Take the extra fabric on the long side and fold it over so the two sides are the same size. You want this pocket to be on the inside when the item is finished, so you are making this pocket on the outside.

Sew round the other three edges, including the sides of the pocket. This area is subject to stress, so an extra row of stitching helps reinforce it.

Trim the edges, and turn right side out. There should be a pocket to contain the side of the pillow.

penguin

Post Wed, Dec 29 2021, 1:22 pm
Thanks, Elfrida. I definitely thought I understood how to do it, but it didn't work. I guess I will try pinning & see if it makes sense.

Elfrida

Post Wed, Dec 29 2021, 2:56 pm
To clarify, when you make the pocket, you are turning the fabric over itself. You are not folding it over to cover the other side. The right sides of the fabric are together, and when you fold the edge over to make a pocket, the right side of the fabric will be upwards.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> Needlework and Sewing