Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Judaism
Matza Break- out of town VENT

Ruchel

Post Mon, Apr 14 2008, 1:41 pm
We have just received something today: matzos. Matzos reduced to crumbles.

Indeed, this year, the shaliach decided to send the matza shmura by mail! He said they were so numerous he couldn't do like the other years, hire a few bochurim from the closest Chabad yeshiva and do it.

The shaliach thinks it was better than nothing and "enough". My husband told him he would make kneidlech, implying we would certainly not eat that as is.

Frum people will probably have bought other things, or deal with it and bear it if they're really poor. But when you are into kiruv, motivated to make people eat (at least some) matza on Pessach, you don't make them associate eating matza with eating yucky crumbles when the bread at the local bakery (or just right there in the kitchen, since we're talking non frum) is just so tempting and yummy.

I am posting this because really... it wouldn't fly in a heavily concentrated place! and hoping that if other shluchim had this idea they will see that matza breaks in the mail.

chaylizi

Post Mon, Apr 14 2008, 1:45 pm
there's nowhere that sells matzah in a store that you can get to by car? even if it's a little bit far? It is hard to get matzah even in larger out of town places. B"H every year we get more brands. Don't they make matzah that people in your city could import as a group? From england or switzerland or somewhere?

Ruchel

Post Mon, Apr 14 2008, 1:51 pm
BH, the frum and the traditional will take their car and go to Paris or big communities around it, and buy.

It's for the others I feel bad. I know the average secular guy will NOT make the effort. He could live much farther than I do - and need almost 2 hours to go, and the same back. I KNOW he won't. When he receives matza, I doubt he will not eat some, just like that. But crumbles will go to the birds...

Our main "problem" is that we are spread out. My town has one of the most active communities in the whole area, and it's let's say not so active..... we are also lucky, we have a synagogue for years and offices for as long as I remember. We recently had a community center made! and we received a Sefer Torah while all the other shuls around rent one from the rabbinate.

And so many towns with no shul, minyan, MAYBE, once a year for YK. All these very isolated Jews may not see another Jew than the bochur who brings the matza, by the way.

I'm so sad over these two missed opportunities, talking to another Jew, and having edible matza for the seder, for the isolated secular, many of them being on the very old side.

Raisin

Post Mon, Apr 14 2008, 2:11 pm
Ruchel we give out hand baked shmura matza, not by post (thanks for the tip) but I think almost everyone we give matza to buys regular machine matza. Even really secular people call us up asking how they can get matza.

Hopefully the 2 stores that sell it will not run out of matza b4 pesach. I just got a call from another city, where they order all their pesach supplies together and it gets shipped. one lady asked for 8 boxes of matza and was sent extra fine matza meal instead! Ans she insists on one particulour brand of matza!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics