Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Gemachs
Food pantry and how to get out of it?

amother
OP

Post Wed, Jan 12 2022, 4:12 pm
I signed up for a food pantry in my neighborhood. my husband has been unemployed for months, we never have enough at the end of the month etc...

I know this sounds like im being kofei tov, but the food pantry gives me the most random unhealthy junk that I cant even cook with. tons of cans of cooked carrots, beets, beans. old noodles. really random stuff. at this point I just want to stop getting them. what would be the best thing to tell the pantry owner?

when I signed up I thought it would be more like tomchei shabbos like actual produce, meat, milk eggs. I just dont know what they expect people to do with 10 cans of vegetables, turkey stuffing, hand soap, canned gefilte fish...

amother
Nemesia

Post Wed, Jan 12 2022, 4:16 pm
Say thank you but the food is not a good fit for my family. You’re not being kafoi tov at all. If it’s not useful domt take it.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Jan 12 2022, 4:17 pm
amother [ Nemesia ] wrote:
Say thank you but the food is not a good fit for my family. You’re not being kafoi tov at all. If it’s not useful domt take it.

its very nice they have volunteers drop off the food
but when we go through it I have to either trash most of it or try to find someone to give it to
and the cans they give are very random brands or hechshers.

can someone help me formulate a text to the pantry lady

amother
Mistyrose

Post Wed, Jan 12 2022, 4:24 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
its very nice they have volunteers drop off the food
but when we go through it I have to either trash most of it or try to find someone to give it to
and the cans they give are very random brands or hechshers.

can someone help me formulate a text to the pantry lady

Just say thank you, but you no longer wish to receive the food from the food pantry.

I believe food pantries in general only have shelf stable products, which is why you're getting canned food.

I hope your situation improves soon.

amother
Mistyrose

Post Wed, Jan 12 2022, 4:28 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
I signed up for a food pantry in my neighborhood. my husband has been unemployed for months, we never have enough at the end of the month etc...

I know this sounds like im being kofei tov, but the food pantry gives me the most random unhealthy junk that I cant even cook with. tons of cans of cooked carrots, beets, beans. old noodles. really random stuff. at this point I just want to stop getting them. what would be the best thing to tell the pantry owner?

when I signed up I thought it would be more like tomchei shabbos like actual produce, meat, milk eggs. I just dont know what they expect people to do with 10 cans of vegetables, turkey stuffing, hand soap, canned gefilte fish...

Canned carrots, beats, beans are not unhealthy. They're good in soups, and it disguises the canned veggies. Maybe it's worth trying before you get rid of them?

amother
Cerise

Post Wed, Jan 12 2022, 4:30 pm
Dear ____, thank you so much for the food you've been sending us. We are so grateful! B"H our situation has changed and we no longer require deliveries from your food pantry. May Hashem repay you for your kindness! Thank you again.

amother
Nemesia

Post Wed, Jan 12 2022, 4:32 pm
amother [ Mistyrose ] wrote:
Just say thank you, but you no longer wish to receive the food from the food pantry.

I believe food pantries in general only have shelf stable products, which is why you're getting canned food.

I hope your situation improves soon.
I agree that it’s probably best not to give a reason. Just thank you so much, I don’t want to receive food at this time.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Jan 12 2022, 4:32 pm
amother [ Mistyrose ] wrote:
Canned carrots, beats, beans are not unhealthy. They're good in soups, and it disguises the canned veggies. Maybe it's worth trying before you get rid of them?

bh ur right
they do give alot of unhealthy junk or non branned items like cheerios that arent exactly cheerios that my daughter wont eat TMI
I would just it rather goes to a family that needs it

bh my husband started a new job on sunday! so im hoping things will look up

Amarante

Post Wed, Jan 12 2022, 4:38 pm
I wouldn't worry - as others have posted just thank them and say that thankfully you don't need it anymore and are glad that their resources can be used for another needy family.

amother
Mistyrose

Post Wed, Jan 12 2022, 4:45 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
bh ur right
they do give alot of unhealthy junk or non branned items like cheerios that arent exactly cheerios that my daughter wont eat TMI
I would just it rather goes to a family that needs it

bh my husband started a new job on sunday! so im hoping things will look up

BH! That is wonderful.

I understand. My kids are also very picky about food and especially off brand Cheerios.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics