Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating
Chassidish move to Florida
  Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  Next

naturalmom5

Post Mon, Jan 17 2022, 5:27 pm
amother [ Gladiolus ] wrote:
looks like you havn't been in Tosh in a long time... Or you just dknow one type...
I live in Tosh and THERE ARE ALL TYPES (think non shaving...).
I know the family who moved to Florida and no, they did NOT change. They are still as neutral chasidish and refined as they were when living here.
As a matter of fact there are families that are even more open minded than them still living here...

Wow, interesting you should say that

I was going to comment yesterday that I know next to nothing about ‘ultra chasidish’
However I spent Shabbos many times in Tosh and I have friends who live in Oak and Vine, Lakewood ( not quite as drastic a move as Florida) and it’s night and day
In Tosh you feel Shabbos , in Oak and Vine , they are BP families that can’t afford BP and moved to Lakewood..
Granted, the last time I was in Tosh my son was 6, now he’s 25
I guess K Shemais HaRebbe (Mshulim Faivush zya) botul Shtetl Tosh min ha olam

BrachaBatya

Post Mon, Jan 17 2022, 10:23 pm
I am not familiar with Tosh. Would someone enlighten me? You aren't referring to Kiryas Tosh in Quebec, are you? Thanks for the scoop!

amother
Snow

Post Mon, Jan 17 2022, 10:40 pm
Tosh is an ultra Chassidish enclave in Boisbriand Quebec but with a very welcoming open door policy to anyone.
They are very friendly, warm people to insiders, outsiders and just about anyone.

amother
DarkCyan

Post Mon, Jan 17 2022, 10:47 pm
naturalmom5 wrote:
Wow, interesting you should say that

I was going to comment yesterday that I know next to nothing about ‘ultra chasidish’
However I spent Shabbos many times in Tosh and I have friends who live in Oak and Vine, Lakewood ( not quite as drastic a move as Florida) and it’s night and day
In Tosh you feel Shabbos , in Oak and Vine , they are BP families that can’t afford BP and moved to Lakewood..
Granted, the last time I was in Tosh my son was 6, now he’s 25
I guess K Shemais HaRebbe (Mshulim Faivush zya) botul Shtetl Tosh min ha olam

There were always some open minded people in Tosh, just like there are in every place, but putting the children in this kind of school is quite a leap to take.

amother
Snow

Post Mon, Jan 17 2022, 10:49 pm
I'm Chassidish from Monsey. I drive, my Boys are in Yeshivas and girls in school that are Litvish and Chassidish mixed. And even with that I think that Miami would be a culture shock for my kids. Even just the way the non Jews dress, ready for the beach. I can't imagine someone ultra Chassidish not having a culture shock.

amother
DarkKhaki

Post Mon, Jan 17 2022, 10:54 pm
amother [ Snow ] wrote:
I'm Chassidish from Monsey. I drive, my Boys are in Yeshivas and girls in school that are Litvish and Chassidish mixed. And even with that I think that Miami would be a culture shock for my kids. Even just the way the non Jews dress, ready for the beach. I can't imagine someone ultra Chassidish not having a culture shock.

Which school in monsey is chassidish/litvish?

amother
Honey

Post Mon, Jan 17 2022, 10:55 pm
amother [ DarkKhaki ] wrote:
Which school in monsey is chassidish/litvish?

Bais rochel? KBY?

amother
DarkKhaki

Post Mon, Jan 17 2022, 10:57 pm
KBY is Kesser Bais Yakov? Do they accept anyone chassidish? Or giving hard time like all the other schools?

amother
Gladiolus

Post Mon, Jan 17 2022, 11:56 pm
BrachaBatya wrote:
I am not familiar with Tosh. Would someone enlighten me? You aren't referring to Kiryas Tosh in Quebec, are you? Thanks for the scoop!

Yes, I actually live in Kiryas Tosh Quebec, and we are a much more diverse and open minded community than most ppl on this site suggest.
AMA Wink

amother
Honey

Post Tue, Jan 18 2022, 12:30 am
amother [ Gladiolus ] wrote:
Yes, I actually live in Kiryas Tosh Quebec, and we are a much more diverse and open minded community than most ppl on this site suggest.
AMA Wink

Why don’t you move to Florida? Brrrrrrrrr it’s colddddd!

amother
Chambray

Post Tue, Jan 18 2022, 1:11 am
amother [ Snow ] wrote:

Just want to chime in here.
I always think it's funny when I hear people say this. This is simply not true.

People in the residential areas of Miami do not walk around as if ready for the beach more than in any other non Jewish area.
Before we moved to Miami, we got lots of comments from people about how we could move to a place of "pritzus". And yet, I can tell you that a visitor to Miami, who is staying on Collins sees more pritzus in a day than I will see in 5 years. So when people tall about the pritzus, they are seeing it through a visitors perspective.

Yes, there is pritzus if you hang out on Collins or the boardwalk. But regular people live on regular streets and people dress the same as they do anywhere else.

I once went to Montreal for a simcha. I was walking on the streets on Friday afternoon and was shocked at the pritzus I saw on the street. And I couldn't help thinking that living in Miami, I don't see this kind of pritzus on 41st Street.

Sure, if you live in Monsey, BP, etc. where you only see frum jews, you won't see pritzus. But Miami is not any worse than any other community that has jews and non jews living together.

Op, one thing I want to ask you:, is it important to you that your kids learn in Yiddish? Every now and then chassidish people ask me about moving here. I ask them this question and that always makes them pause. Just realize that the schools are excellent, but they will not talk or learn in Yiddish.

amother
Royalblue

Post Tue, Jan 18 2022, 2:07 am
True, walking around in the residential parts of NMB you generally will not see immodest dress. But leave the residential area to go into a kosher grocery or restaurant, and yes, you very likely will see women wearing sleeveless, tank tops, or bared midriffs buying groceries at the local kosher shops or eating out in restaurants.

pause

Post Tue, Jan 18 2022, 8:47 am
amother [ Chambray ] wrote:

People in the residential areas of Miami do not walk around as if ready for the beach more than in any other non Jewish area.
Before we moved to Miami, we got lots of comments from people about how we could move to a place of "pritzus". And yet, I can tell you that a visitor to Miami, who is staying on Collins sees more pritzus in a day than I will see in 5 years. So when people tall about the pritzus, they are seeing it through a visitors perspective.

Yes, there is pritzus if you hang out on Collins or the boardwalk. But regular people live on regular streets and people dress the same as they do anywhere else.

I once went to Montreal for a simcha. I was walking on the streets on Friday afternoon and was shocked at the pritzus I saw on the street. And I couldn't help thinking that living in Miami, I don't see this kind of pritzus on 41st Street.

Sure, if you live in Monsey, BP, etc. where you only see frum jews, you won't see pritzus. But Miami is not any worse than any other community that has jews and non jews living together.

Op, one thing I want to ask you:, is it important to you that your kids learn in Yiddish? Every now and then chassidish people ask me about moving here. I ask them this question and that always makes them pause. Just realize that the schools are excellent, but they will not talk or learn in Yiddish.

Montreal is like NYC, a large metropolitan city which sees all kinds of pritzus year-round. In the summer it's the lack-of-dress kind of pritzus. Many frum yidden who live in Montreal, similar to those who live in NYC, go away for the summer to avoid being exposed to that.

I imagine Miami sees the same thing on a lesser scale since it's a less populated city.

amother
Seablue

Post Tue, Jan 18 2022, 9:08 am
amother [ Honey ] wrote:
Bais rochel? KBY?

Both are more or less fully chassidish by now. I wouldn't call them a mix of chassidish & litvish.

amother
Seablue

Post Tue, Jan 18 2022, 9:09 am
amother [ DarkKhaki ] wrote:
KBY is Kesser Bais Yakov? Do they accept anyone chassidish? Or giving hard time like all the other schools?

They're more chassidish than not but they give a hard time accepting. They're looking for a certain type.

singsong

Post Thu, Jan 20 2022, 1:38 pm
amother [ Royalblue ] wrote:
True, walking around in the residential parts of NMB you generally will not see immodest dress. But leave the residential area to go into a kosher grocery or restaurant, and yes, you very likely will see women wearing sleeveless, tank tops, or bared midriffs buying groceries at the local kosher shops or eating out in restaurants.

Let me put this down in the out-of-town, ahavas yisroel perspective: How amazing is it that there are people who do not dress tznius but hold the mitzvah of kosher in such high regard that they are willing to pay a premium for kosher food. IMO that is a beautiful thing to teach children and it's something the "in-town" kids miss out on.

amother
Blonde

Post Thu, Jan 20 2022, 2:18 pm
Im chassidish I send to Bais Rochel. I’m also a Bais Rochel graduate I definitely don’t think it’s more chassidish both of my daughters are a minority in their class. The majority is yeshivish.

amother
Royalblue

Post Thu, Jan 20 2022, 2:35 pm
singsong wrote:
Let me put this down in the out-of-town, ahavas yisroel perspective: How amazing is it that there are people who do not dress tznius but hold the mitzvah of kosher in such high regard that they are willing to pay a premium for kosher food. IMO that is a beautiful thing to teach children and it's something the "in-town" kids miss out on.

Sure, I think it's great. But you need to be prepared to handle that and understand your kids will be exposed to that. Not everyone is going to be ok with this fact of life about living in Miami, especially if they are coming from very insulated community where everyone generally is dressed modestly, frumwise, even if not to your specific standards.
And don't forget, it's year round not just in summer.

mizle10

Post Thu, Jan 20 2022, 10:31 pm
amother [ Chambray ] wrote:

You had me until you mentioned 41st street. You need to be blind not to see any pritzus on 41st.

amother
Orchid

Post Thu, Jan 20 2022, 11:04 pm
I live near the F train in Boro Park and we see plenty of untznius all summer long, people heading to the train. I've been in Miami several times and I don't think it's worse there than in Brooklyn on a hot summer day.
Page 4 of 9   Previous  1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating