Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> New York related Inquiries
Looking for A Doula
Previous  1  2  3  Next

tweety1

Post Wed, Dec 15 2021, 9:11 am
amother [ Aster ] wrote:
Again, I want to clarify, I wasn't talking about the Ringels. I'm sure they are amazing, I've heard great things about them. I wasn't referring to anyone mentioned here. I just know of a couple very experienced doulas who charge an arm and a leg, run in when the mother is about to push or miss the birth altogether and don't refund the hefty deposit. So all I'm telling OP is, don't be fooled, just because you're paying an exorbitant amount, that doesn't mean you're getting better service than with a doula with less experience. That's literally all I'm saying.

I agree with this point. I, in fact know somebody who used a very popular doula. Charged through the roof. Demanded full payment before birth and missed it. She decided the patient wasn't ready to go in. Patient ended up going in against her advice and delivered half hr later. She never got her money back.
Eta: I have to add it doesn't necessarily have to do with experience. This doula decided that she has some special training that some doulas don't have and therefore can charge this price.

amother
Aster

Post Wed, Dec 15 2021, 9:16 am
tweety1 wrote:
I agree with this point. I, in fact know somebody who used a very popular doula. Charged through the roof. Demanded full payment before birth and missed it. She decided the patient wasn't ready to go in. Patient ended up going in against her advice and delivered half hr later. She never got her money back.
Eta: I have to add it doesn't necessarily have to do with experience. This doula decided that she has some special training that some doulas don't have and therefore can charge this price.

I know who you are referring to. I know her personally and I would never use her. And this is my point! Training, experience, etc. don't necessarily mean anything when it come to expertise and compassion and doing a good job. So in a case like this, the extra money wasn't worth it.

tweety1

Post Wed, Dec 15 2021, 2:08 pm
amother [ Aster ] wrote:
I know who you are referring to. I know her personally and I would never use her. And this is my point! Training, experience, etc. don't necessarily mean anything when it come to expertise and compassion and doing a good job. So in a case like this, the extra money wasn't worth it.

Very true. Just because somebody has 30 yrs experience doesn't mean she's great and just because somebody only has 5 yrs experience doesn't mean she's not great. Anybody know Betsy from park slope midwifery? She's a classic example.

amother
Winterberry

Post Sun, Dec 19 2021, 11:04 am
Bump.
What's the price range for doulas?

amother
Aster

Post Sun, Dec 19 2021, 11:10 am
amother [ Winterberry ] wrote:
Bump.
What's the price range for doulas?

Did you read the thread?

amother
DarkPurple

Post Sun, Dec 19 2021, 11:19 am
I'm not chassidish. I used Irit Lang. She was amazing. Calm, open minded to whatever I needed (I had an epidural.) She is super experienced, but still passionate. She was very helpful before the birth and during, helped me figure out how to deal with the hospital staff who were putting pressure on me. I used her 6 years ago, so I don't know if she got married, moved, or what. 917-703-9558

amother
Winterberry

Post Sun, Dec 19 2021, 11:33 am
amother [ Aster ] wrote:
Did you read the thread?

Yes. Just wondering if there was a change (inflation!) in the last year or so.

amother
Aster

Post Sun, Dec 19 2021, 11:34 am
amother [ Winterberry ] wrote:
Yes. Just wondering if there was a change (inflation!) in the last year or so.

The thread is fresh, so I can't imagine anything changed since a few weeks ago. 😀

amother
Aqua

Post Tue, Jan 18 2022, 1:40 pm
Hi. Any other contacts for doulas?
I had one by a previous birth that never showed up and she kept my deposit...
Whatever.
I would prefer someone that is not so HI UP there
or someone that is plain old honest and nice.

THANK YOU

PLEASE REPLY AS SOON AS POSSIBLE.
I am very tight on time.
Thanks

amother
Aster

Post Tue, Jan 18 2022, 1:52 pm
amother [ Aqua ] wrote:
Hi. Any other contacts for doulas?
I had one by a previous birth that never showed up and she kept my deposit...
Whatever.
I would prefer someone that is not so HI UP there
or someone that is plain old honest and nice.

THANK YOU

PLEASE REPLY AS SOON AS POSSIBLE.
I am very tight on time.
Thanks

Recommending Chaya Bruck again because she is fantastic. Down to earth, honest, and simply there for the mother.

amother
Aqua

Post Tue, Jan 18 2022, 1:54 pm
Would you know Chaya Brucks price range?
THANKS A LOT

amother
Aster

Post Tue, Jan 18 2022, 1:56 pm
amother [ Aqua ] wrote:
Would you know Chaya Brucks price range?
THANKS A LOT

I believe it's around $500.

amother
Steelblue

Post Tue, Jan 18 2022, 2:18 pm
I used to be a doula. People are complaining about doulas keeping the deposit - typically a doula spends a good amount of time with the expectant couple beforehand, discussing their needs and preparing the family for the birth. Then she blocks off space around the due date (usually a couple weeks) to be available for the birth, which means she can’t go out of town, can’t stay up late (it’s not fair to be unrested if they call you), can’t have Shabbos guests, etc. She also can’t book another client due at the same time. And if she has an event at her kids’ school, she has to be on shpilkes knowing that she might have to leave in the middle. People maybe aren’t aware of all this. Doulas really aren’t getting rich, and being on call isn’t easy.

I once had a client who was really anxious beforehand so I came to her house twice to go over her birth plan and help her talk through her fears, plus she would call me numerous times with a question and end up on the phone for 45 minutes. That’s all normal and part of what I did. But just realize that that was easily 7 hours of time I gave this client before the birth. After the birth, she decided that since her birth had BH gone so quickly and smoothly (unlike her previous births), it was ridiculous for me to charge my full fee since she was only at the hospital for an hour and a half before the baby was born. 🤯 She offered to pay half of our agreed-upon fee.

Doula work isn’t like being a secretary, where you get paid only for the time you’re actually sitting at your desk! Doula work starts way before mom gets to the hospital! And if the birth went well, isn’t it possible that all the time your doula spent with you beforehand contributed to that? If you went in more confident and more prepared than you would have otherwise been, please recognize and appreciate that!

amother
Aqua

Post Tue, Jan 18 2022, 2:21 pm
I am not talking about such a doula at at all.
The doula did not speak to me or see me ONCE before I was already in labor.
So yes, keeping the deposit was NUTS.

amother
Aqua

Post Tue, Jan 18 2022, 2:22 pm
and she never came at all.
I just spoke to her on the phone for 6 minutes right after my water broke and that's it.

amother
Steelblue

Post Tue, Jan 18 2022, 2:23 pm
In that case, I agree!

amother
Steelblue

Post Tue, Jan 18 2022, 2:27 pm
I hope you find an amazing doula this time who gives you all the support and warmth you deserve, and that you have a beautiful healthy birth! B’shaah tova!

amother
Aqua

Post Wed, Jan 19 2022, 1:53 pm
BUMP.
If anyone has any other contacts?
PRESONAL EXPERIENCE ONLY PLEASE

amother
NeonBlue

Post Wed, Jan 19 2022, 2:09 pm
amother [ Aqua ] wrote:
BUMP.
If anyone has any other contacts?
PRESONAL EXPERIENCE ONLY PLEASE

I used leba ringel 3xs over 10 years. Would use her again in a heartbeat. They're not expensive comparatively.

amother
Snapdragon

Post Mon, Jan 24 2022, 4:28 pm
Bumping this because I need a doula desperately, the one I was working with hasn't responded to me and thank God I didn't give her a deposit or anything yet.
With regard to these
Chaylie Grossman and Miriam Wasserlauf
What are their fees and her phone number?

Irit Lang was recommended to me by a very experienced doula I reached out to who is taking a sabbatical now. Does she come to Brooklyn?

Thank you all!
Page 2 of 3 Previous  1  2  3  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> New York related Inquiries