Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
How do sensory girls deal with this???
Previous  1  2

amother
Nasturtium

Post Fri, Dec 17 2021, 8:43 am
STMommy wrote:
My sensory DD got her first period last night, put on a pad, and started hysterical crying because it felt so awful. We tried a thin pantiliner and a regular pad with wings and she hated them both. I feel so bad for her - having your period is one thing but to feel non-stop discomfort from the pad is another! Any ideas?

Ive always HATED pads because of how they felt, and I only recently discovered a trick that I so wish I wouldve known all my life!!!!
Get a really strong pair of black opaque tights, the type that really squeeze and lift the tush part as you wriggle into them. Put them on, and cut off the legs mid thigh or a bit higher-careful because they tend to roll away so youll make them shorter than you were thinking. You want to create a pair of very short shorts, but be careful to still leave all the strong tights part that is tight around the tush. If there is a control top by the stonach you can carefully snip that as its not needed, but careful that it doesnt open it all up.

Wearing these shorty shorts on top of the underwear has been a total game changer for me. The pad gets totally compressed against my body, doesnt wiggle an inch, and I basically cant feel it.

Hope this helps!

STMommy

Post Fri, Dec 17 2021, 10:40 am
TY again everyone. I ordered DD bike shorts, capri leggings, and disposable Rael. Will see what makes my daughter most comfortable.

amother
Silver

Post Sat, Dec 18 2021, 3:54 pm
Tight undies or biker shorts to keep it in place

amother
Blushpink

Post Sat, Dec 18 2021, 5:38 pm
Bambody Absorbent Boy Short: Period Protection Underwear for Women and Teens https://www.amazon.com/dp/B098.....8ZN99

I like this in tight fitting size to hold pad in place and for backup protection

STMommy

Post Fri, Apr 01 2022, 9:19 am
I am bumping up my own thread because now DD is refusing to wear a bra! She has been wearing undershirts but it's time for something more....and we've tried camisoles with built-in shelf bras and she hates them. What now?

singleagain

Post Fri, Apr 01 2022, 10:06 am
STMommy wrote:
I am bumping up my own thread because now DD is refusing to wear a bra! She has been wearing undershirts but it's time for something more....and we've tried camisoles with built-in shelf bras and she hates them. What now?

Can you take her to try different styles and materials?

amother
Peony

Post Fri, Apr 01 2022, 12:27 pm
I only like really stretchy sports bras.

amother
Salmon

Post Fri, Apr 01 2022, 12:43 pm
Hanes constant comfort pullover bra (comes in a 2 pack) is a step above training and the most comfortable I could find.

amother
Anemone

Post Fri, Apr 01 2022, 12:59 pm
I find it way more comfortable to wear the always infinity cotton pads. Probably reusable cotton pads from etsy would be better too.

amother
Bellflower

Post Fri, Apr 01 2022, 1:12 pm
STMommy wrote:

I totally relate. My Dd is like yours but thankfully hasn't started her period yet. I'm already storing ideas for when she does because I know she'll go insane.

For the bras, take her to a store and literally have her try on every single brand they have. for each one she should put her tshirt back on top and walk around for a minute to see how it feels. after about a thousand trys and then retrying and possibly retrying the entire store for a third time, she'll probably find one she can handle.

amother
Salmon

Post Fri, Apr 01 2022, 1:45 pm
amother [ Bellflower ] wrote:
I totally relate. My Dd is like yours but thankfully hasn't started her period yet. I'm already storing ideas for when she does because I know she'll go insane.

For the bras, take her to a store and literally have her try on every single brand they have. for each one she should put her tshirt back on top and walk around for a minute to see how it feels. after about a thousand trys and then retrying and possibly retrying the entire store for a third time, she'll probably find one she can handle.

That is the best way but definitely prepare a chocolate bar for after you survive. The hanes I wrote about worked for us but ymmv.

amother
Black

Post Fri, Apr 01 2022, 2:05 pm
I am extremely sensory about bras.
For years I’ve been wearing kindred bravely bras even after I wasn’t nursing - I would put paper tape over any part that bothered me.

I just started with a true and co bra and so far - BH.

amother
Sand

Post Sat, Apr 02 2022, 2:53 pm
mommy3b2c wrote:
Welcome for my world. Try short tight biker shorts. Those helped me a lot because it makes the pad move around less. No way her school can have a rule against biker shorts. The menstrual cup is also amazing. When I use that plus round the clock Advil, I can forget I even have it .

Agree with the tighter clothing. I used to have underwear that was slightly too small that I kept for when I had my period. I never felt the pad as much then.

For bras, I think you just need to take her to a store that has a good selection and try different ones on. See if she can identify what is good/bad in a bra to help tailor her selection. She might like padded vs non padded or different materials etc. But that's going to be hard on you.

amother
Yarrow

Post Sat, Apr 02 2022, 5:47 pm
For bras, try the company yellowberry. They have a website. They are made especially for preteens and teens and are very soft, wash well, and hold up. My dd with lots of sensory stuff wears them.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics