Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Fish
Trick to cooking soft &'melt in mouth' Salmon?
Previous  1  2

glad2bmom

Post Thu, Dec 10 2009, 10:21 pm
k thanx ra mom

saboni ,can u post ur recipy and about ur cooking directions, is it 4 filet fish or bigger pieces?
cause I like to fillet fish & then cut one whole side of fish in half I find it more moist

Hodu Lashem

Post Thu, Dec 10 2009, 10:27 pm
ra_mom: That recipe looks great! I think I will try it.

Also, thank you for other recipes you have posted on different threads. You are really one of the go-to pple on this site when it comes to recipes. Smile

ra_mom

Post Thu, Dec 10 2009, 10:31 pm
Thank you Hodu Lashem, that was really nice!

raizy@b

Post Sun, Feb 21 2010, 9:10 am
ra-mom

made the salmon for shabbas -was so nice and soft! TY!

Sewsew_mom

Post Sun, Feb 21 2010, 10:08 am
20 mnts uncovered and than cover for another 10-20 mnts on 350- always works on frozen or fresh... always is soft and yummy!!

ra_mom

Post Sun, Feb 21 2010, 2:50 pm
suri wrote:
ra-mom

made the salmon for shabbas -was so nice and soft! TY!

Thanks for letting me know! Smile

smile

Post Thu, Jun 03 2010, 3:59 am
Prepare fish sauce with no more then 2 cm of water in pot. cook for an hour. Salt Salmon, put in sauce after the hour is gone. Bring back to boil and switch off straight away. Cover and leave out overnight. Next morning take the salmon out.

Mevater

Post Tue, Apr 12 2022, 7:28 pm
ra_mom wrote:
My mother makes the best ever! soft, melt in your mouth salmon.
When I try doing it, it comes out good, but somehow my mother's comes out better Smile
Here's how she does it:

• 6 cups water (or enough to just cover salmon)
• 1 onion, sliced into rings
• 2 cloves garlic, cut open
• 2/3 cup sugar
• 1-1/2 Tbsp Kosher salt (less if using regular salt, about 1 Tbsp)
• 8 appetizer slices salmon filet
• extra sugar and salt, for seasoning

Season salmon generously with sugar and salt. Set aside.
In a very large pot, bring water to a boil; add onion, garlic, sugar and salt. Bring to another boil. Boil the seasoned water for 15 to 20 minutes.
Add salmon. Bring to another boil. Simmer for 12 minutes. Do not overcook; set timer.
Allow salmon to cool completely in pot. Remove carefully with gloved hands. Do not use a spatula, as salmon will fall apart.

(If you really don't want the salmon to fall apart, best to store it in refrigerator in the pot it was cooked in. Then used gloved hands to remove salmon from pot, when ready to serve.)

We usually make this a day or two day before we want to serve it, because it tastes even better after it has sat in the liquid, in the fridge.

1- I dont use garlic on Pesach, would that kill the flavor?

2- Is there a trick to avoiding thw white stuff on Salmon? I fgind that even if th salmon looks almost raw, if I leave it in a hot pan, it develops the white stuff even after I shut the flame.

Whats the fool proof way to avoid the white stuff if there is one? Salmon looks awful with white stuff on it, but who wants to eat raw salmon? Its tricky to get it just perfect.

tia

ra_mom

Post Tue, Apr 12 2022, 8:06 pm
Been doing it for as little as 9 minutes, close flame when it looks almost done & then let it sit.

Woman of Valor

Post Tue, Apr 12 2022, 9:49 pm
Question for those saying leave in the liquid it cooked in, wouldnt this make it continue cooking and get overdone?

debbie321

Post Tue, Apr 12 2022, 10:33 pm
I bake it " in papelle" which means in paper. Lay out a long peice of aluminum foil, then a large peice if parchmemt paper on top. Place salmon on parchment paper, spice( I usually do a spice rub, but amy topping works, )then wrap the parchment paper around it, and fold edges in2 each other, if need be. Then wrap and close aluminum foil.
Or, u can wrap in parchment paper, then out in a tin and cover with aluminum foil instead of wrapping. Bake 425 at least half hour( I sometimes leave in longer.)
This is guaranteed soft , flaky ( I left it in for 45 min yesterday, and it was so soft I cut open cuz I thought was raw. It wasnt. Just incredibly soft and moist.
Good luck!

Mevater

Post Tue, Apr 12 2022, 11:08 pm
debbie321 wrote:
I bake it " in papelle" which means in paper. Lay out a long peice of aluminum foil, then a large peice if parchmemt paper on top. Place salmon on parchment paper, spice( I usually do a spice rub, but amy topping works, )then wrap the parchment paper around it, and fold edges in2 each other, if need be. Then wrap and close aluminum foil.
Or, u can wrap in parchment paper, then out in a tin and cover with aluminum foil instead of wrapping. Bake 425 at least half hour( I sometimes leave in longer.)
This is guaranteed soft , flaky ( I left it in for 45 min yesterday, and it was so soft I cut open cuz I thought was raw. It wasnt. Just incredibly soft and moist.
Good luck!

Can it be served cold the next day or two?

debbie321

Post Tue, Apr 12 2022, 11:29 pm
Mevater wrote:
Can it be served cold the next day or two?

Yes! I usually make extra for leftovers. It will still be very soft ( but not the fresh out of the oven soft)

sumfr00

Post Wed, Apr 13 2022, 2:20 am
Betty crocker 10 minutes makes the juiciest most drlicious salmon

Elfrida

Post Wed, Apr 13 2022, 3:33 am
debbie321 wrote:
Good luck!

I sometimes prepare this before Yom Tov and leave it overnight, then put it to cook directly on the platta the next morning. Comes out fresh and perfect.

Of course, for Shabbos you would have to cook in advance.

ETA A while ago there was a fashion for preparing fish this way, maybe with an extra layer or two of foil, and then laying it on the top rack of the dishwasher and running a normal cycle. The heat cooked the salmon very gently and it normally came out soft and tasty. Not much good for Pesach, though.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics