Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Pesach
Self clean broke my oven
1  2  3  Next

amother
OP

Post Wed, Apr 20 2022, 5:38 pm
My oven is new and it is build in whirlpool with touch screen. After I self clean both ovens the bottom one is not working. I called a repair guy and he told me the self clean breaks the newer ovens. I wonder if whirlpool is going to charge me for the repair even though I don’t buy the extended warranty.

amother
NeonPink

Post Wed, Apr 20 2022, 5:47 pm
how old is the oven? if within a year, the repair should not cost you anything. Possibly even if it's older than that.

mammala120

Post Wed, Apr 20 2022, 6:11 pm
Frigidaire oven here
Same problem. Mine is 5 years old. After self clean oven foes not heat up. Unable to use it for Passover after all the scrubbing. No chemicals used. Only hand energy and scrubbers.

amother
Periwinkle

Post Wed, Apr 20 2022, 6:12 pm
My mother just had to get hers fixed for the third time in 3 years because of this. The repair guy told her the only solution is to never self clean the oven

ra_mom

Post Wed, Apr 20 2022, 6:13 pm
That's so frustrating!

amother
Purple

Post Wed, Apr 20 2022, 6:13 pm
I did that 2x. No longer self-clean

ra_mom

Post Wed, Apr 20 2022, 6:15 pm
Did this only happen to those ovens with touch screens? Or is any oven prone to this?

DustyDiamonds

Post Wed, Apr 20 2022, 7:02 pm
Same story. It was over a year when I got around to calling Whirlpool.

I just got another oven.

Town Appliance in Lakewood and my repairman both told me that this is common with Whirlpool ovens. Why do they have a self clean feature if it breaks the whole oven????

lovingmommy3417

Post Wed, Apr 20 2022, 7:28 pm
Yup. We never self clean because of this.

amother
Cadetblue

Post Wed, Apr 20 2022, 7:35 pm
For the future (I guess ask your Rabbi if okay and get specific directions) but I was told that I didn't have to run a full self clean cycle, just a little while and then stop it. That might prevent frying it completely.

amother
Periwinkle

Post Wed, Apr 20 2022, 7:38 pm
Quote:
Town Appliance in Lakewood and my repairman both told me that this is common with Whirlpool ovens. Why do they have a self clean feature if it breaks the whole oven????

I posted above my mother had this 3 times already. She has a GE. The repair guy told her it's across the board with all ovens nowadays, regardless of brand

amother
OP

Post Wed, Apr 20 2022, 8:26 pm
DustyDiamonds wrote:
Same story. It was over a year when I got around to calling Whirlpool.

I just got another oven.

Did whirlpool replaced your oven for free?

amother
OP

Post Wed, Apr 20 2022, 8:27 pm
ra_mom wrote:
Did this only happen to those ovens with touch screens? Or is any oven prone to this?

Yes mine is touch screen

mammala120

Post Wed, Apr 20 2022, 8:29 pm
mammala120 wrote:
Frigidaire oven here
Same problem. Mine is 5 years old. After self clean oven foes not heat up. Unable to use it for Passover after all the scrubbing. No chemicals used. Only hand energy and scrubbers.

Yes mine is also touch screen

watergirl

Post Wed, Apr 20 2022, 8:51 pm
Every oven repair man and store have always told me to never use the self clean. We do once a year, some years it breaks the oven.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Apr 20 2022, 9:23 pm
watergirl wrote:
Every oven repair man and store have always told me to never use the self clean. We do once a year, some years it breaks the oven.

I always used the self clean with my very old ovens. I got this new oven a year ago and it broke. I don’t understand why these very expensive ovens have a feature that breaks the oven??? Do you think I can call and ask them to fix it for free. I don’t have a warranty anymore.

amother
Lemonchiffon

Post Wed, Apr 20 2022, 9:59 pm
If you don’t use self clean, how do you kasher between milchig / fleishig, or for pesach?

amother
OP

Post Wed, Apr 20 2022, 10:19 pm
amother [ Lemonchiffon ] wrote:
If you don’t use self clean, how do you kasher between milchig / fleishig, or for pesach?

I think it’s allowed on 550

DustyDiamonds

Post Wed, Apr 20 2022, 10:25 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Did whirlpool replaced your oven for free?

No it was after a year when I called them.

Why in earth would they include a feature that breaks it?

It’s like advertising that a car has heated seats, but if you actually use that feature, half the time, your car will explode!!!!!

ra_mom

Post Wed, Apr 20 2022, 10:28 pm
amother [ Lemonchiffon ] wrote:

Look it up online. OU says put clean oven on 550 for 1 hour. Star K says 40 minutes.
Page 1 of 3 1  2  3  Next Recent Topics