Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Infants
What size to buy?

amother
OP

Post Tue, May 24 2022, 1:00 pm
If my baby is turning 1 end of december do I buy size 12 or 18 months winter clothing??
I would think 18 months because 12 months wouldnt take him through the winter but by 18 months old it will be getting nicer out already...
So then will I be buying 24m clothes in the summer for an 18 month old?

I know its in advance I am just so confused with sizing. Right now he is in 9 month clothing from frum stores when he is no where near 9 months old...and 6 months from stores like target...

At least baby clothes are 3 month difference, I feel like 6 months is a much bigger difference in size...like I dont understand 6-12 months clothes, when is that supposed to fit? Wont it be huge at 6 months

ra_mom

Post Tue, May 24 2022, 1:09 pm
Keep in mind that babies are in size 9 months much longer than size 3 and size 6 months. Their growth kind of stabilizes for a bit there.
There's no way to know now what this child's growth curve will be in December.
Generally they will be the next size for the winter, of what they were wearing in the summer, and partway through the winter at that age they'll go to the next size as well.
No guarantees.

amother
Ebony

Post Tue, May 24 2022, 1:11 pm
Why buy winter clothes 6 months in advance?

Different brands run differently. The brands we buy often (Janie and Jack, h&m) run large. Carters runs true to size. You’ll learn. Also different babies have different body types. My babies are very tall but not chubby.

stillnewlywed

Post Tue, May 24 2022, 1:16 pm
For my son with a November birthday, I had to buy 12 months for the start of the season (October) and then he needed to go to 18 months in the middle of the season (February)
It was only the following summer, before he turned 2, that he was able to stay in one size for the whole season.

hotpretzel

Post Tue, May 24 2022, 1:34 pm
I am not buying anything now for 6 months in advance, I am buying summer clothes now and the sizing is so confusing it got me wondering what about sizing for the winter...
I see I will probably have to also buy 2 sizes both 12 and 18 months for winter...just like I am buying 6 and 9 months for summer

amother
Ebony

Post Tue, May 24 2022, 1:41 pm
hotpretzel wrote:
I am not buying anything now for 6 months in advance, I am buying summer clothes now and the sizing is so confusing it got me wondering what about sizing for the winter...
I see I will probably have to also buy 2 sizes both 12 and 18 months for winter...just like I am buying 6 and 9 months for summer

The difference between the sizes are very small at this age. I’d just size up. (I had a December baby too)

ra_mom

Post Tue, May 24 2022, 1:42 pm
If he just started wearing size 9 months, and they fit but have room, they may just get him through the 3 month summer.

Zehava

Post Tue, May 24 2022, 1:45 pm
Every baby is different and every brand is different. An no they don’t always stay in 9 months longer because one brands 9 months is another brands 12 months.
I do a lot of comparing and measuring clothes to see which ones will fit now and which to give away or save for the next growth spurt. I wouldn’t buy for next winter. It’s impossible to know.

mushkamothers

Post Tue, May 24 2022, 2:25 pm
Frum baby clothing runs small. I stopped buying anything in advance even though I have 3 boys and "someone will end up wearing it". Get what you need now and that's it.

BrisketBoss

Post Tue, May 24 2022, 2:59 pm
It depends on your baby and the brand. If you really want to buy now, then my rule is when in doubt buy bigger. It will last longer. But maybe some mothers are finicky and want their baby's clothes to look more fitted. If that is the case here, definitely wait.

6-12 is the same size as 9-12 is the same size as 12. Baby sizes are weird, I know. The idea is that 6-12 will be suitable for an average 6 month old but with room to grow. I agree with what someone else said about the growth curve slowing down. Also remember that 'the average man doesn't exist.' Don't expect sizes to actually match your baby's growth.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics