Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Shavuos
Am I the only person who loves 3 day YT?
Previous  1  2  3  Next

Zehava

Post Mon, May 30 2022, 12:44 pm
Love it! Mostly since we won’t be in the Hell’s Kitchen that is the city in June. And my kids are old enough to play outside with friends. It was really rough in a small apt with little kids.

Simple1

Post Mon, May 30 2022, 1:13 pm
I would enjoy it if I was in the right neighborhood. Our family didn't click with the neighbors for some reason and we don't have much family nearby, so it's 3 days of trying to entertain ourselves.

PinkFridge

Post Mon, May 30 2022, 1:24 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Food art.
Make little Har Sinai cakes. Decorate with green frosting and flower sprinkles.
Make Torahs out of fruit leather and pretzels
Make flower out of pineapple and watermelon and cookies cutters and decorate with berries like Edible Arrangements. Just make sure you eat them that day (after you show them off).

Creativity is key.

Is it all three day yamim tovim or this one?
I heard a line, on Pesach you can eat where you want but not what you want. On Succos you can eat what you want but not where you want. On Shavuos you can eat what AND where you want. So the cooking is easier. And there isn't the cleaning like for Pesach. There's a lot that makes this more relaxing in some ways.

steak4me

Post Mon, May 30 2022, 1:30 pm
As someone who’s childhood yamim tovim were just nightmares, I love it! It’s so calm, such good food and just quality time with my husband kids and even neighbors

amother
NeonGreen

Post Mon, May 30 2022, 1:32 pm
I love 3 day YT!
I find it so much harder to have 2 day YTs and then Shabbos a few days later/before.
Take a look at the calendar for Rosh Hashana/Yom Kippur/Sukkos coming up. Prep for Shabbos, clean up from Shabbos, immediately prep for YT, clean up from YT, Prep for Shabbos again, clean up from Shabbos again, immediatley prep for YT again.......... Whew

s1

Post Mon, May 30 2022, 1:57 pm
Another vote for loves it!

amother
Rainbow

Post Mon, May 30 2022, 2:05 pm
I generally love it, but I like it better when it's Sukkos than Shavuos. I don't like how late everything is and how it's way too hot outside for me. For those reasons, I much prefer Shavuos when it falls out in May rather than June.

gootlfriends

Post Mon, May 30 2022, 2:10 pm
My husband loves it. I need to get some books on Friday for me and my kids, then it will be ok. I dont cook on Yom tov but I hate cleaning up.

amother
NeonPurple

Post Mon, May 30 2022, 3:02 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Can you invite company for meals? Also get a great book and maybe a board game for the 2 of you to play.

We both have physical limitations ( not obvious) which make it hard for us to have company. It is difficult to see people get together and not be included. In the past we bought take out and invited people, but very few invited back. It’s a lot of work and physical pain with limited reciprocity.

amother
Outerspace

Post Mon, May 30 2022, 3:03 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
I 💗 3 day YT. Am I a strange anomaly?

Me too

effess

Post Mon, May 30 2022, 3:08 pm
I love it
Always did
But none of my friends and acquaintances understand me.
They all think I’m weird.

I don’t make myself crazy with cooking too much variety-I keep things very simple and plentiful.
The structure of the Shul/meal/friends/(rest time if needed), keep your self busy at home, Keeps the kids in a somewhat predictable routine.
I’m in my late 40’s so we have the spectrum of ages and stages.
I invite guest but not for every meal, giving us quiet moments too.
No phones to distract. The kids and me mainly play, talk and read. We take walks.
My husband aloves to have the extra catching up on learning time.
To me, it’s a taste of moshiach!

Don’t get me wrong, my kids fight plenty, but I still love 3 day yt.

amother
OP

Post Mon, May 30 2022, 3:08 pm
amother [ NeonPurple ] wrote:
We both have physical limitations ( not obvious) which make it hard for us to have company. It is difficult to see people get together and not be included. In the past we bought take out and invited people, but very few invited back. It’s a lot of work and physical pain with limited reciprocity.

I wish I could invite you!!!
FYI, for every 5 invites I host I get invited back only like 2 times. While I don’t invite to get in invited back, it is frustrating (and a little insulting).

amother
Moccasin

Post Mon, May 30 2022, 7:51 pm
I do enjoy that my Rov said I can wash my hair taking precautions with sechita etc. Otherwise the itching drove me crazy. I also wash up the areas that need it.

I do not love having makeup that won't stay on as I don't like how I look when it all comes off. I just spend $50 at Sephora for eye primer and two long lasting eye liners (one says 36 hour!!!! One says 24! ! So I hope if I layer them...)

I also stocked up on some new books I hope to have time to read. And I am by no means doing all the cooking myself.

I hope to have someone willing to take out the garbage (some family members are very machmir which drives me NUTS!)

So, those who enjoy the 3 days, please provide some survival tips!

amother
Purple

Post Mon, May 30 2022, 8:07 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
I 💗 3 day YT. Am I a strange anomaly?

Yes

amother
Aconite

Post Mon, May 30 2022, 8:09 pm
amother [ Topaz ] wrote:
I would, if I didn't get so sweaty. By the time the second day is over I am counting the hours until I can shower.

We hold that on YT (unless it's Shabbos) we can shower with certain limitations. Do you not hold that?

amother
DarkViolet

Post Mon, May 30 2022, 8:14 pm
I feel gross physically because I eat too much no matter my best efforts, and I don't exercise. And no daily shower. Plus, I have to focus mental energy on not thinking about my loonng to-do list waiting for me oy. Other than that...

amother
Moccasin

Post Mon, May 30 2022, 8:21 pm
One thing that I found helps with the full problem - I told my kids strictly. We will start with either a soup or a fruit or a salad. Then main. NO two courses before the main.

Also I don't eat meat so that saves a lot. I usually only get fleishig one or two meals at most. I have very good fish instead, and lots of pareve sides.

NewYorkgal31

Post Mon, May 30 2022, 8:45 pm
amother [ Fuchsia ] wrote:
I enjoy the time to relax and read and spend time with family. But not being able to out on makeup really, really bothers. I feel half dressed without it. I don't like wearing long lasting makeup and having stuff on my face for 3 days straight. So I basically have a bare face (I do put on some eyeliner and mascara)

They have some amazing shabbous makeup out their/ was a total game changer for me.

amother
Lightgreen

Post Mon, May 30 2022, 8:51 pm
It's a really great opportunity to unplug and spend time with real people, those who matter most, our family.
I'm looking forward to the quiet from digital tech.

Not showering is very hard for me but it's my choice to make a shower the focal point of my yomtov or not. Hopefully if I concentrate on the wonderful aspects of yomtov, I will enjoy it instead of resent it.

amother
Fuchsia

Post Mon, May 30 2022, 9:14 pm
NewYorkgal31 wrote:
They have some amazing shabbous makeup out their/ was a total game changer for me.

I know but it's expensive. I just can't see myself spending so much on makeup that I will only use a few times a year.
Page 2 of 3 Previous  1  2  3  Next Recent Topics