Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Dairy & Pareve Meals
Can anyone help me with these mexican dishes?

greeneyes

Post Tue, May 13 2008, 10:01 am
I'd love to learn how to make the following:

burritos
enchiladas
quesadillas

I don't recall ever eating any of these, but I think my DH (& I!) would appreciate them.

I'm the type that needs exact step by step instructions, so if anyone could help me out with any of the above that would be marvelous! Very Happy

TIA

mom7270

Post Tue, May 13 2008, 10:47 am
me too!!!! I would love to know how to do those dishes... suggestions anyone???

BeershevaBubby

Post Tue, May 13 2008, 11:18 am
For burritos, I broil chicken cutlets seasoned with black pepper, garlic powder and paprika.

Then slice into strips and sautee with green peppers and onions. Season with garlic powder and if you want some spice, chili powder.

I buy ready-made flour or corn tortillas and steam heat them so they fold easily. I buy salsa and assemble...

I make a great mock-meat enchilada casserole which I posted here:http://imamother.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=37849

As for quesadillas, I tend to make them with cheese, tuna and either hot peppers or salsa... mix it all together, schmear onto a tortilla, cover with a second tortilla and bake until the cheese melts.

SouthernShalom

Post Tue, May 13 2008, 11:36 am
That is practically all we eat arround here...

Enchiladas are so fast and easy. Usually I use leftover beans that I have made from scratch but canned ones work just as well. Anykind will work.

You can use either flour or corn tortillas to make enchilladas. For corn just fry the tortillas one at a time in a small amount of grease. You just want them to cook a little. You don't want to cook them too much or you won't be able to roll them.

After you cook the tortillas just spoon a line of beans down the center and I like to put in a small amount of cheese. Roll it up, you dont have to fold in the edges like you would on a burrito.

You make enough of these to fill a caserole dish. Then you top them with red sauce ( I buy the canned stuff but you could probably find a recipe online). Then you sprinkle on some cheese.

Pop all of this in the oven or the microwave and heat until warm and the cheese is melted.

You do the same if you are using flour tortillas but don't fry them first. Just take them out of the package and fill them.

You can do all kinds of variations on this. You could top with salsa instead of red sauce. You could add corn into the tortillas.

Also instead of rolling them up you can just layer everything flat in the caserole dish and cut it to serve.

SouthernShalom

Post Tue, May 13 2008, 11:42 am
We do vegetarian burritos.

You need :

beans
cheese
salsa!!
sour cream
lettuce
anything else that sound yummy to you

Take some flour toritillas and heat them with a little butter in a skillet. Make a stack of them on a plate (buttered sides together so your hands don't get messy). I put all of the other ingredients out in dishes so everyone can make their own "customized" burritos assembly style. Just place whatever you like in the middle and roll them up tucking in one side so the fillings won't fall into your lap. Wink

mamacita

Post Tue, May 13 2008, 11:59 am
Here's my famous cheese enchilada recipe (here in Israel I've subsituted lafa for the tortillas, what can you do?)

sauce: (each to taste)
tomato paste
diced tomatoes
diced chili peppers
minced garlic
paprika
chili powder

Simmer sauce in a pot until bubbly

Heat tortillas in a pan until warm (helps them roll without breaking). Put spoonful of cheese down center and roll. Top with sauce making sure to at least wet every part of the tortillas. Sprinkle extra cheese on top. Bake until cheese is melty.

You can also layer the tortillas like lasagna instead of rolling.

Serve with refried beans, salad, and mexican rice

SouthernShalom

Post Tue, May 13 2008, 11:59 am
Another favorite....Fish Tacos...It's good I promise!

Any kind of white fish: cod, pollack,whiting

Use the corn tortillas and fry them like I said before
Bread and fry some fish (or use left overs Very Happy )
Cut the fish into strips, sprinkle with lemon or lime
roll the strips in the tortillas along with some cheese, salsa, lettuce, sour cream, whatever you like.

SouthernShalom

Post Tue, May 13 2008, 12:01 pm
What is lafa ? You can make homemade tortillas. I haven't ever done it but I hear it is pretty simple.

BeershevaBubby

Post Tue, May 13 2008, 12:06 pm
The problem is finding a tortilla press in this country and so far I haven't had any luck.

There are several companies which make flour tortillas (mamacita, go to Rami Levy) and I buy those.

And a Lafa is... think oversized, pocketless pita.

Amital

Post Tue, May 13 2008, 12:12 pm
For flour tortillas, you don't need a tortilla press, you just roll them out. But they are not as thin as machine made ones. However, since we don't have the kosher option here, we do these, and my family prefers them! I do find that they are tougher to roll into enchiladas, but burritos, tacos, and quesadillas come out great. Plus, while I'm making them, whoever is around comes in for a fresh off the frying pan tortilla with a little melted butter and cinnamon and sugar. Mmmm...

(I make corn tortillas, too, and you do need a tortilla press or at least a makeshift one. Plus yo need masa harina to make them, which is ground corn with lime--not the citrus fruit.)

Squash

Post Tue, May 13 2008, 1:37 pm
I would love to try some of these recipes.

anyone know where I can get corn tortillas in good ole boro park? we're trying to limit the flour.

BeershevaBubby

Post Tue, May 13 2008, 1:41 pm
Ortega I believe is OU. You can find them in any supermarket.

chaylizi

Post Tue, May 13 2008, 1:43 pm
YESHASettler wrote:
Ortega I believe is OU. You can find them in any supermarket.

it is. I love their taco spice packets!

Squash

Post Tue, May 13 2008, 1:45 pm
thanks yesha. I guess I'll go to pathmark sometime soon.

GramaNewYork

Post Tue, May 13 2008, 1:48 pm
Chicken fajitas are delish also Smile I use Tofuti sour cream and serve them with guacamole and margaritas.

SouthernShalom

Post Tue, May 13 2008, 1:49 pm
We are making Aliyah this summer. Boy are we in trouble shock
I guess I should buy a tortilla press and bring it huh? Maybe I should go into business LOL

greeneyes

Post Wed, May 14 2008, 10:58 am
Thanks so much! Can't wait to try these. Very Happy

atlastamom

Post Wed, May 14 2008, 9:15 pm
you got me in the mood of these enchiladas my mother used to make, now I'm gonna make them tomorrow for lunch!
put tortilla chips on the bottom of a baking dish,
soak, then cook pinto beans and mash them with a pkg of taco seasoning
put that on top of the tortilla chips
pour salsa over that
sprinkle with cheese
bake
really good and easy!

ArthurDent

Post Wed, May 14 2008, 10:00 pm
Oh my gosh, I just got a quesadilla recipe that I LOVE LOVE LOVE!

Sauce:
1/4 cup mayonaise
2 tsp minced jalapeno peppers
3/4 tsp sugar
1/2 tsp cumin
1/2 tsp paprika
1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
1/4 tsp garlic powder
a dash of salt

Mix all together to make the sauce.

In a skillet over medium heat, melt butter or margarine and lay a tortilla in it. On one half of the tortilla, spread the sauce. On the other half, sprinkle shredded cheese (I use a mozz & cheddar mix, but you can use what you like). And place toppings on top. (I often use sliced zucchini which I've steamed in the microwave using a Ziploc steam bag, Morning Star Farms parve Chicken strips also heated in microwave, and sliced mushrooms which I grilled in oven or sauteed; don't use tomatoes inside, I tried and they were too watery). You can sprinkle with a little more cheese, then fold the tortilla in half. Once one side browns and cheese is melted, flip it and brown on the other side.

remove from skillet and slice into wedges. The sauce should be enough to make 3-4 quesadillas.

SOOOOOO YUMMY! You can omit the jalapenos if you don't like spicy. Let me know if you try it.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Dairy & Pareve Meals