Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Finances
Cost of burial plot and burial services

amother
OP

Post Sun, Jun 19 2022, 7:25 pm
Trying to plan for the future (hopefully far off but best to be prepared any way)
Please state location and how much it costs.

So far I have a quote for a little over 13k for a place in Israel, not Yerushalayim, which includes customs and transportation from airport if coming from outside Israel.

Curious how that compares to burial in America or other places in Israel.

amother
Geranium

Post Sun, Jun 19 2022, 8:17 pm
That sounds very cheap and totally off a plot in ny costs around $17,000 without matzeva

amother
OP

Post Sun, Jun 19 2022, 8:24 pm
The 13k would be as part of a group purchasing in bulk, forgot to mention.
Matzeiva not included.

Do you know where in NY it costs 17,000? Maybe it varies, I can't imagine everyone pays that much. You need to save as much for a funeral as for a wedding. Why is nobody talking about this? What do most people do?

amother
Geranium

Post Sun, Jun 19 2022, 8:27 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
The 13k would be as part of a group purchasing in bulk, forgot to mention.
Matzeiva not included.

Do you know where in NY it costs 17,000? Maybe it varies, I can't imagine everyone pays that much. You need to save as much for a funeral as for a wedding. Why is nobody talking about this? What do most people do?

Monsey NY main cemetery not one belonging to a kehilla and I agree no one talks about this it’s a fortune.

amother
Puce

Post Sun, Jun 19 2022, 8:58 pm
My sister had to buy one for her infant son, it was cheaper for them to bulk buy for herself and her husband as well. Way over $20,000 for 3 plots not inc. matzeivas bought through the kehilla in a NY cemetery.

shabbatiscoming

Post Sun, Jun 19 2022, 11:26 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Trying to plan for the future (hopefully far off but best to be prepared any way)
Please state location and how much it costs.

So far I have a quote for a little over 13k for a place in Israel, not Yerushalayim, which includes customs and transportation from airport if coming from outside Israel.

Curious how that compares to burial in America or other places in Israel.
In israel you will pay big sums, no matter where, if you arent a citizen living here.
Its free for people to be buried in the municipal cemetery where one lived.

salt

Post Mon, Jun 20 2022, 1:57 am
shabbatiscoming wrote:
In israel you will pay big sums, no matter where, if you arent a citizen living here.
Its free for people to be buried in the municipal cemetery where one lived.

We can add that to the list of things that are cheaper in Israel, together with tuition and healthcare.

shabbatiscoming

Post Mon, Jun 20 2022, 2:44 am
salt wrote:
We can add that to the list of things that are cheaper in Israel, together with tuition and healthcare.
Right. But this one is only if you are a citizen AND live in a specific municipality, then its free there. If you want to be buried elsewhere than your local municipality, it will cost.

Rappel

Post Mon, Jun 20 2022, 2:49 am
salt wrote:

I didn't know that. For some reason, I'm giggling.

"Not only is it cheaper to live in Israel, it's cheaper to die here too!"

Not exactly something that makes it on the aliyah posters. XD

amother
cornflower

Post Mon, Jun 20 2022, 2:54 am
Rappel wrote:
I didn't know that. For some reason, I'm giggling.

"Not only is it cheaper to live in Israel, it's cheaper to die here too!"

Not exactly something that makes it on the aliyah posters. XD

lol, definitely not something for the NBN fliers- but just think about how many of our ancestors wished they could be buried in EY! Some would go so far as to journey by boat while still alive just to have the zchus to die and be buried here, no small matter!!

shabbatiscoming

Post Mon, Jun 20 2022, 2:56 am
amother [ cornflower ] wrote:
lol, definitely not something for the NBN fliers- but just think about how many of our ancestors wished they could be buried in EY! Some would go so far as to journey by boat while still alive just to have the zchus to die and be buried here, no small matter!!
There are so many people who still do that, live their lives elsewhere and then end their lives being buried here. Its been going on forever and will continue. If one has the money, it will never stop Smile
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics