Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Vacation and Traveling
Iso hike near Monticello

amother
OP

Post Sun, Jul 05 2020, 7:05 am
Can anyone please recommend an interesting hike near Monticello with phone reception and clear markers? We hiked Neversink River Unique hike, it had a beautiful creek and it was right near by, but we had to to go all the way back when we got close to the end because we couldn't find any more markers, plus no cell service-it was really scary! so never that again! We also did Minnewaska a few times (it has a really nice waterfall hike plus the ice caves). Within about half an hour of Monticello with a stream or waterful would be great! thanks!!

amother
OP

Post Mon, Jul 18 2022, 2:43 pm
Bump- I'd really appreciate any recommendations! Tia!

amother
Acacia

Post Tue, Jul 19 2022, 3:06 am
Sorry I don't have a recommendation but can you please share more about Minnewaska? What and where are the ice caves? What hike do you recommend? I googled it and it's huge and has a lot of different hikes so I would love to hear which one you did that was great. Personally I'm looking for something family friendly - my kids aren't so little but not experienced hikers either.

amother
Acacia

Post Tue, Jul 19 2022, 3:07 am
It has THIS many trails: https://parks.ny.gov/documents.....p.pdf

amother
OP

Post Tue, Jul 19 2022, 7:41 am
amother [ Acacia ] wrote:
Sorry I don't have a recommendation but can you please share more about Minnewaska? What and where are the ice caves? What hike do you recommend? I googled it and it's huge and has a lot of different hikes so I would love to hear which one you did that was great. Personally I'm looking for something family friendly - my kids aren't so little but not experienced hikers either.

https://www.njhiking.com/sams-.....oint/

Here's some information, I would do Sam's point and the ice caves, Sam's point has amazing views and the ice caves were a lot of fun, just note I saw in the website that you have to reserve parking online on weekends/ holidays, also, if you decide to hike all the way to the falls, it's stunning, but just be careful because you basically end up at the edge of a cliff, It was a a great hike, I hope you enjoy!

amother
Acacia

Post Tue, Jul 19 2022, 12:23 pm
Hm... that website seems to feel that the ice caves and the waterfall get a little blah in the summer. Has anyone gone at this time of year and can report whether it's worth a trip? Seems like a somewhat long hike for us with little experience (7 miles if you want both the cave and the falls) so I'm only choosing that route if there's something to see. Otherwise I'd look for a shorter route and just enjoy the mountains.

amother
Gold

Post Tue, Jul 19 2022, 12:30 pm
I just did a hike around Hanofee Park lake in Liberty with my husband. It takes around an hour but you need to be in shape - it’s really a hike with markers and mud/logs/bridges. The markers aren’t perfectly clear so we got lost at one point but we just kept hugging the lake (made sure we could see it at all times) and then we got back on the trail. I enjoyed it. The hike is called the Hanofee Park Fit Path. I’m not sure about the cell phone reception but I think there should be because the first third of the hike is near a day camp (day camp is in the woods).

doctorima

Post Tue, Jul 19 2022, 12:47 pm
amother [ Acacia ] wrote:
Hm... that website seems to feel that the ice caves and the waterfall get a little blah in the summer. Has anyone gone at this time of year and can report whether it's worth a trip? Seems like a somewhat long hike for us with little experience (7 miles if you want both the cave and the falls) so I'm only choosing that route if there's something to see. Otherwise I'd look for a shorter route and just enjoy the mountains.

The falls may taper off if it's been dry lately, but the ice caves only get more enjoyable when it's hot outside. I've done the ice caves twice, once stopping there and once continuing to the falls, both times in the summer. When we went the falls were flowing nicely and were very pretty.

Maybe you could find someone there to ask about their current status (I vaguely recall someone collecting a fee when you park or enter), or go to the ice caves first and then see how you're feeling about continuing or calling it a day.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics