Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Toddlers
Putting two toddlers to sleep in the same room.

LO

Post Mon, Jul 18 2022, 9:56 pm
Hi all! Please help me out with this....Smile I have an almost 5 yr old boy and a 2 1/2 yr old boy. Right now, my evening routine is to put the 2 1/2 yr old to sleep in his room with a noise machine. The two boys are officially supposed to be sharing a room but I feel like I can't put the 5 yr old to sleep there for two reasons. One, if I put him in while the 2 1/2 yr old is still awake, neither one will go to sleep, so that would push off the 5 yr old's bed time....And two, the 5 yr old will make noise while I am putting him to sleep and wake up the 2 1/2 yr old. So I end up putting the 5 yr old to sleep in my room, and a lot of the time just keep him there for the night. It's obviously not a great solution but I don't know how to transition into them both sleeping in the same room....I would personally leave it until the 2 1/2 yr old is a bit of a stronger sleeper, but it really bothers my husband so it needs to change...

If you have dealt with this, can you please help me? Thanks!

BrisketBoss

Post Mon, Jul 18 2022, 10:32 pm
First I'm curious, have you tried this before or are the 'this will happen' statements speculation?

LO

Post Mon, Jul 18 2022, 10:50 pm
I know that the few times when I actually did transfer him to his room once he was sleeping, the 2 1/2 yr old inevitably woke up (not at the moment, but later), started screaming, and the 5 yr old ended up in my bed again....Smile I have never tried to actually PUT them to sleep together, but I think it would take forever if it would even work...I sit with my 5 yr old when I put him to sleep (working on the computer, usually), and it still can take him al most an hour to wind down and fall asleep.

Aurora

Post Mon, Jul 18 2022, 10:52 pm
Mine share a room. It took forever when they started, but now they're used to it. And the smaller one is so sad without his older brother.

We usually put the older one to bed when the smaller one is all tucked in and sleepy, but not actually sleeping. I'm convinced the little one waits up just to see his brother come in.

mushkamothers

Post Tue, Jul 19 2022, 12:25 am
Mine are the same ages and share a bunkbed and have the same bedtime... some nights we sit there til they fall asleep (if husband is on duty), if I do bedtime then I leave them to fall asleep and yes they may chat a little.

amother
Sand

Post Tue, Jul 19 2022, 12:29 am
My toddlers share a room. I put them in together from day one, and they got used to it. At first they were jumping around and talking, and it gradually got less and less. By now, they sometimes talk for afew minutes but usually go to sleep nicely. It's the best arrangement. If you put them to sleep separately and transfer one, they'll never get used to being able to go to sleep in the same room.

giftedmom

Post Tue, Jul 19 2022, 12:48 am
It’s an adjustment but they’ll get used to it

LO

Post Tue, Jul 19 2022, 7:11 am
So is there a way to transition or do I just do cold turkey? and be prepared to sit there for a long time each night?

amother
Turquoise

Post Tue, Jul 19 2022, 9:10 am
LO wrote:
So is there a way to transition or do I just do cold turkey? and be prepared to sit there for a long time each night?

The transition IS sitting there for a while each night helping them both get used to the idea.

Some nights the older one had a harder time with the younger ones noise, some nights the younger one had a hard time with the older ones noise.
By now, whoever is more tired just falls asleep, the one who needs tlc takes longer to fall asleep, but it doesn't disturb the other child's sleep.

It's usually one or the other, rarely are they asleep quickly together Smile

amother
Sand

Post Tue, Jul 19 2022, 9:12 am
LO wrote:

Don't sit there at all! It just makes it take longer for them to fall asleep. Put them to bed, say shema, leave the room. Stay in the area so you hear what's going on. It's going to take afew days for them to get used to it.

LO

Post Tue, Jul 19 2022, 10:07 am
OK, sounds good, will try it. Smile Thanks!

amother
Navyblue

Post Tue, Jul 19 2022, 10:13 am
I have an 18 month old and a 3 year old who sleep in the same oom with a noise machine. The 3 year old does make noise but the younger one doesnt wake up if hes out cold.
I also thought what youre thinking when I started putting thm together but bh it works

momandteacher

Post Tue, Jul 19 2022, 1:22 pm
I'm in almost exactly the same situation now. I can't put them to bed together, because one or both get too hyper, no matter how tired they had been just moments before. For now, my imperfect solution has been to have the older one play in a different part of the house until the younger one is asleep. Yes, it does push off his bedtime by as much as a half hour, but I don't know what else to do.

LO

Post Tue, Jul 19 2022, 1:27 pm
I may do that for now, I am just too scared for them to take forever to fall asleep....Don't have that kind of patience by the time bedtime comes Smile

amother
Sand

Post Tue, Jul 19 2022, 1:32 pm
momandteacher wrote:
I'm in almost exactly the same situation now. I can't put them to bed together, because one or both get too hyper, no matter how tired they had been just moments before. For now, my imperfect solution has been to have the older one play in a different part of the house until the younger one is asleep. Yes, it does push off his bedtime by as much as a half hour, but I don't know what else to do.

They'll be hyper at first but with time, they will learn to settle down and go to sleep. You have to let them learn.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics