Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Shopping
Juicing

amother
OP

Post Wed, Aug 03 2022, 7:31 pm
Hi I have started a new diet im juicing fruits and vegatable also eating a lot of salad... one the things what im juicing is celery.. buying a sleeve celery a head of lettuce ect... im soaping brushing washing and checking it myself... to expensive for the ready checked one.... spoke to my friend told her what im doing she said how can you trust by checking it yourself I said why not? what are you people do?

amother
Chocolate

Post Wed, Aug 03 2022, 7:33 pm
Peel the top layer of each stalk and wash well
We can’t go crazy. Hashem gave us fruits and veggies to eat. He didn’t create microscopes along with them.

amother
Junglegreen

Post Wed, Aug 03 2022, 7:44 pm
Fruits and veggies for juicing don't need to be checked. Just washes according to most kashrus agencies.
For salads, follow the thrip cloth method as explained by the OU, CRC, star k etc..
I check a large 1 pound box at a time.

amother
Glitter

Post Wed, Aug 03 2022, 8:48 pm
How long does your friend think ready checked produce has been out on the market? I promise you that for over 5000 years our ancestors have been eating produce that they checked themselves. And every one of them was frummer than we are. Just follow a guide to make sure you know what you can clean and what's too infested, and how to check it. Enjoy!

amother
White

Post Wed, Aug 03 2022, 9:12 pm
amother [ Junglegreen ] wrote:
Fruits and veggies for juicing don't need to be checked. Just washes according to most kashrus agencies.
For salads, follow the thrip cloth method as explained by the OU, CRC, star k etc..
I check a large 1 pound box at a time.

Would you mind please linking to thrip cloth method?

Thank you

amother
Bergamot

Post Wed, Aug 03 2022, 9:18 pm
Just wash it, juice it, and then strain it until you have a clear juice. No checking required. You'd see bugs in liquid if they were there.

MiracleMama

Post Wed, Aug 03 2022, 9:23 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
Hi I have started a new diet im juicing fruits and vegatable also eating a lot of salad... one the things what im juicing is celery.. buying a sleeve celery a head of lettuce ect... im soaping brushing washing and checking it myself... to expensive for the ready checked one.... spoke to my friend told her what im doing she said how can you trust by checking it yourself I said why not? what are you people do?

First of all, in what way am I less competent than the guy checking it in a restaurant or grocery store? Why shouldn't I trust myself?

Second, any bugs going through a juicer - well, you may not want to drink bug juice, which is a good reason to still wash and check, but it's not a kashrut issue.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Aug 03 2022, 10:08 pm
what about the lettuce??

amother
Cornsilk

Post Wed, Aug 03 2022, 10:49 pm
amother [ OP ] wrote:
what about the lettuce??

I check lettuce all the time. So did our ancesters. They did not use thrip cloth, light boxes or magnifying glasses. They washed and checked with their naked eye.
You can use the thrip cloth method of you want, but it's way more than you have to.

Microscopic organisms do not pose any issue. That's not Torah.

Ever heard of religious OCD?

amother
Junglegreen

Post Thu, Aug 04 2022, 4:50 am
amother [ Cornsilk ] wrote:
I check lettuce all the time. So did our ancesters. They did not use thrip cloth, light boxes or magnifying glasses. They washed and checked with their naked eye.
You can use the thrip cloth method of you want, but it's way more than you have to.

Microscopic organisms do not pose any issue. That's not Torah.

Ever heard of religious OCD?

I find the thrip cloth way easier and faster than checking each leaf. I can check a ton at a time in a large bowl and not strain my neck to pick each leaf up to light.
https://www.crcweb.org/vegetab.....ew%20(2017).php

amother
Blonde

Post Thu, Aug 04 2022, 4:55 am
amother [ OP ] wrote:

I didnt read the whole thread, but isnt the Halacha that for juicing you dont have to check, because nothing is "nikur" after juicing?

amother
OP

Post Thu, Aug 04 2022, 5:13 am
the link doesnt open, can you please check it thank you
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics