Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Our Challenging Children (gifted, ADHD, sensitive, defiant)
Overnight Trip

amother
OP

Post Fri, Aug 05 2022, 5:10 pm
Ds, is having a overnight trip coming up.
I was hoping he won't agree to go since he's usually anxious and wants to be with me all the time. Im worried since he's lacking hygiene skills, not so socially ok (social awareness)

But he seems to very excited about it and wants to go. I don't want him to know my concerns, and happy he wants to feel part of his class, but don't know if it's ok to send him.

How do I deal with this?

amother
Eggshell

Post Fri, Aug 05 2022, 5:25 pm
I'm assuming he's young 9-12. In that case I would speak to a responsible adult who is going on the trip and make sure they keep an extra eye on him. Tell them some of the things your son might struggle with throughout the time they are away so he should know what to look out for.
You can also get a schedule of the trip in advance and go over it with your son so he knows what to expect and when and how to navigate certain transitions. Get him a watch so he can keep track of time. , Make sure to use the bathroom before going on the bus, he can find a buddy to do the activities with. You can troubleshoot in advance. He can decide where to store his wet clothing, What do do if he gets lost, what to do if someone cuts the line, what to do if he loses his slippers, what to do if he can't find plates or cutlery during supper, make sure he knows his counselors names ( he may not have picked it up even if he's been going to camp a while already) and that he can go to then and ask for help if he needs.

amother
OP

Post Fri, Aug 05 2022, 6:24 pm
Thanks for your input!
Makes a lot of sense, and I'm calmer that it's more doable iyh!!

amother
Firethorn

Post Fri, Aug 05 2022, 7:28 pm
Plenty boys of that age have little to no hygiene or social skills.
Your job as a mom is to keep teaching. No need to hold him back from regular activities that everyone his age is doing.

amother
Jetblack

Post Sat, Aug 06 2022, 11:53 pm
Let him go worry free
What kind of hygiene problems are u worried about for one night?
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> Our Challenging Children (gifted, ADHD, sensitive, defiant)