Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Meat
Meat: Defrost, Cook, Freeze, and Defrost?

smalka

Post Sun, Aug 14 2022, 9:05 am
I'd like to do some advanced cooking soon for the upcoming Yamim Tovim.
What are your thoughts about defrosting uncooked meat [and/or chicken], cooking it, freezing it, and then defrosting to be eaten on a Shabbat or Yom Tov?
Is there a detectable degrading of the meat, I.e. does it taste off?

Amarante

Post Sun, Aug 14 2022, 9:32 am
That is fine in terms of food safety.

The end result will depend on the meat and the recipe because some meats freeze and reheat better and some recipes actually are better when reheated so they don't degrade in quality when frozen and reheated.

Any kind of braise, stew or soup is generally absolutely fine. In my experience (or opinion) fish and white meat (chicken breasts) don't freeze and reheat well nor do certain cuts of beef which are intended to be eaten as steaks because you don't reheat a steak after cooking for best results.

dankbar

Post Sun, Aug 14 2022, 10:12 am
Some foods are better if you prepare raw & then
slip into oven before Yom tov or before serving, like chicken bottoms with cornflakes crumbs, chicken rollups with pastrami inside. Schnitzel prepared ready to fry or bake.

Roasts you can cook in advance. Then you reheat sliced with the sauce or if it's plain pickled cooked, I reheat sliced with oil, paprika and onion slices on hot plate before meal.

Minute steak is OK to freeze & reheat cooked or baked.
Chicken bottoms in a gravy baked or cooked is OK to freeze.

Then knishes or turnovers, deli roll are better if prepare with raw dough & freeze and later bake.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics