Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Infants
Baby led weaning NEW QUESTION
1  2  3  4  5  Next

amother
OP

Post Tue, Aug 16 2022, 4:26 pm
Has anyone been successful and can share guidelines/ tips?

amother
Lemon

Post Tue, Aug 16 2022, 4:31 pm
Feed baby whatever you are eating. Cut it into finger length strips. Have lot's of patience and don't run to help them. It will take time for them to master it, but it's ok just let them play and figure it out. Sometimes they can't get it into their mouths, sometimes they spit it out. Gagging as in coughing or clearing their throat is totally fine. It's a natural reflex that they have to quickly clear their throat to prevent choking. If they gag just watch them and you'll see it will be fine.

The only things they can't have are really hard things like nuts, and round balls. Anything that is small and ball shaped should be smushed or cut.

amother
PlumPink

Post Tue, Aug 16 2022, 4:34 pm
So I don't think I'm doing exactly what baby led weaning is, but I do try to give him whatever we're eating for dinner. Soup, rice, broccoli, potatoes etc. He eats most foods himself and foods like yogurt I give him. He isn't a picky eater so far so I guess it's working...

amother
OP

Post Tue, Aug 16 2022, 4:37 pm
What did you give as first first foods?

amother
OP

Post Tue, Aug 16 2022, 4:38 pm
Any bibs/ utensils to recommend?

BrisketBoss

Post Tue, Aug 16 2022, 4:38 pm
amother OP wrote:

Salmon, rice, and potatoes. That's what we were having.

"First foods" is not a BLW concept.

BrisketBoss

Post Tue, Aug 16 2022, 4:40 pm
amother OP wrote:
Any bibs/ utensils to recommend?

Any of those pocket bibs. So useful.

And I like the Take and Toss utensils. They're very cheap and simple, but they do the job. Many children prefer them over expensive baby brands.

DVOM

Post Tue, Aug 16 2022, 5:41 pm
We've had so much success with this, bh!

We started blw with my now 1 year old when she was 4 months old. It was so much fun watching her explore new foods!

amother
Oatmeal

Post Tue, Aug 16 2022, 8:43 pm
I've done this with three out of my five kids. Wish I'd done it with the first two.

For early foods, I prefer soft but solid foods cut into french fry shape/size. So sweet potato sticks are usually the first food I try. I also make ground beef and ground turkey/chicken into finger-shapes and bake them like little meatloafs. Since they're not getting the iron-fortified baby food, I really like to get meat into them early.

Sliced soft pears or summer fruits are good, and bananas/melons if they don't get too frustrated with them. A tip if these things keep slipping out of their hands -- you can actually buy the baby cereal stuff just for coating slippery foods so that they're easier for your child to hold!

Toasted whole grain bread (soft bread is easier to clump together and become a choking hazard, so I like to toast it first) and healthier crackers are good. If you spread peanut butter or something on them, make sure it's a really thin layer.

Cooked veggies like green beans, carrots, things like that are good. You can melt cheese on rice cakes or just give them a slice to try.

These are all for the really early days when they're just starting out. With time, you can give them almost anything you're eating, other than blended soups or yogurts or applesauce (until they can use a spoon -- I don't spoonfeed, but I'll use loaded spoons once they get a bit better at eating) or choking hazards like hotdogs or whole nuts or whole grapes. Everything else is fair game, but I find it's so much easier and less stressful at the beginning if I use some of the foods listed above.

I hope I was able to help! I find BLW so much easier than traditional weaning was with my first two. I initially started it because my third child hated purees, but now I just find it so much more enjoyable for me, for baby, and for the rest of the family. So much less stressful.

dovebird

Post Tue, Aug 16 2022, 8:53 pm
amother OP wrote:

Follow solid starts on Instagram. She has a website and app that will tell you exactly how and when to serve every food.

amother
Steel

Post Tue, Aug 16 2022, 9:48 pm
Absolutely loved it with my son, now doing it with my daughter. I followed @babyledweanteam on Instagram, she explains how to do it and gives ideas of different meals and how to serve it safely. I truly believe this is what has contributed to my children being non picky.
I basically sever modified versions of whatever I’m already making (So easy!)
For example if I’m roasting vegetables, I’ll cut some that are good for a baby to hold (like strips) and I’ll season it differently (less sodium) and serve it that way. If I’m making chicken soup, I’ll take out the chicken and serve it shredded with some of the soft veggies and load it on a spoon for her. The options are endless. Baby can basically eat most things, just check babyledweanteam to make sure it’s safe to serve, and always watch while baby is eating in whether is puréed or solid (remember, choking is silent)

amother
RosePink

Post Wed, Aug 17 2022, 8:57 pm
what do I do if my baby is picky with foods? I try to offer him chicken but he won't eat it.

I've been doing blw, just based on things I've heard about it.

Also does blw align with DOR?

amother
cornflower

Post Wed, Aug 17 2022, 9:04 pm
amother RosePink wrote:
what do I do if my baby is picky with foods? I try to offer him chicken but he won't eat it.

Most babies don't like all foods. You just keep putting a little on the plate, and put other foods too. Sometimes after 20 tries they decide it's tasty.

amother
Lemon

Post Wed, Aug 17 2022, 9:05 pm
amother RosePink wrote:

Offer a few choices of foods. It's ok if they have preferences. I would reintroduce the food a few weeks later.

amother
RosePink

Post Wed, Aug 17 2022, 9:07 pm
amother cornflower wrote:
Most babies don't like all foods. You just keep putting a little on the plate, and put other foods too. Sometimes after 20 tries they decide it's tasty.

I hear, ok. But if I make for dinner chicken, rice and vegies and he only eats the rice then I feel like he's still hungry...

Also what are ideas for lunch? I give him basically bread because I don't have the energy to prepare a meal but are there easy things that can give him variety?

amother
RosePink

Post Wed, Aug 17 2022, 9:07 pm
amother Lemon wrote:
Offer a few choices of foods. It's ok if they have preferences. I would reintroduce the food a few weeks later.

You'd offer a few choices of proteins?

amother
RosePink

Post Wed, Aug 17 2022, 9:10 pm
Also I don't understand all the things that say that you eat together. I can't eat together even if I put the foods down I still need to supervise, see if he wants more of a certain food, needs water... He needs my attention then.

amother
Lemon

amother RosePink wrote:
You'd offer a few choices of proteins?

No not in one meal. I would give a protein, veggie, fruit and carb. I did rotate proteins and tried to offer different ones each day. I did omelettes cut in strips, meatballs, different types of chicken…

amother
cornflower

amother RosePink wrote:
I hear, ok. But if I make for dinner chicken, rice and vegies and he only eats the rice then I feel like he's still hungry...

Also what are ideas for lunch? I give him basically bread because I don't have the energy to prepare a meal but are there easy things that can give him variety?

No, that's normal. If you think he's hungry later obviously offer something else. But if you only serve him what he already likes he'll be a very restricted eater and won't have the opportunity to expand his palate.

For lunch I would give fruits, veg, fish sticks, pieces of cheese and crackers, pita with chumus, soup.

amother
Lemon

Post Wed, Aug 17 2022, 9:11 pm
amother RosePink wrote:
Also I don't understand all the things that say that you eat together. I can't eat together even if I put the foods down I still need to supervise, see if he wants more of a certain food, needs water... He needs my attention then.

I sat next to the baby. I would prepare a plate of seconds and water on the table so that I can quickly pass it when needed.
Page 1 of 5 1  2  3  4  5  Next Recent Topics