Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children
DIYS boys haircuts

gzl

Post Tue, Aug 16 2022, 3:55 pm
My boys are in desperate need of haircuts, I used to take them to a barber, but he keeps going up with the price and I couldn't afford even the old price.
So I am thinking of doing it myself
Where do I start ? and where can I watch videos on how to do the payos,
Also they now have huge fringes and I want to reduce it , how do I make sure it looks normal

devoh

Post Tue, Aug 16 2022, 4:03 pm
Following this similar thoughts

amother
Currant

Post Tue, Aug 16 2022, 4:04 pm
I started giving my brothers haircuts when I was probably a teenager. Mostly my older brothers cause then they could get haircuts whenever they wanted. I also cut my boys' hair now - I think the only paid haircut they get is for their Bar Mitzvah.
- Start with a cheap machine. A basic whal is good - just make sure it comes with a scissors.
- Read the instructions very well!! You can learn a lot from it.
- Practice putting in the different combs and taking them out.
- Watch a few online demos.
- You need to know what # you boys want.
- Practice on your youngest one first.
- If they have peyos behind their ears make sure they take them out so you don't clip them by accident.
- I don't cut the front with a machine - so it's a takes a little time to learn how to cut the front.
- It's really not hard!!
Good Luck!

amother
Currant

Post Tue, Aug 16 2022, 4:07 pm
Some of the benefits
- save $$ - the machine will probably cost the price of 2 haircuts!
- takes much less time then traveling and waiting
- it's fun
- I also buy a cheap machine and replace every couple of years. I don't want an expensive machine that might just get dropped and broken.

gzl

Post Tue, Aug 16 2022, 4:42 pm
amother Currant wrote:
I started giving my brothers haircuts when I was probably a teenager. Mostly my older brothers cause then they could get haircuts whenever they wanted. I also cut my boys' hair now - I think the only paid haircut they get is for their Bar Mitzvah.
- Start with a cheap machine. A basic whal is good - just make sure it comes with a scissors.
- Read the instructions very well!! You can learn a lot from it.
- Practice putting in the different combs and taking them out.
- Watch a few online demos.
- You need to know what # you boys want.
- Practice on your youngest one first.
- If they have peyos behind their ears make sure they take them out so you don't clip them by accident.
- I don't cut the front with a machine - so it's a takes a little time to learn how to cut the front.
- It's really not hard!!
Good Luck!

Thanks a lot.
It sounds so complicated.
I tried watching some videos online but am scared I will mess it up.
I think they used to get a number 3 or 4 and am thinking to do it shorter.

imamommy7

Post Tue, Aug 16 2022, 5:21 pm
I started doing my boys’ haircuts with the beginning of COVID and still do it now. I use the Wahl machine and do the whole head on #2 besides for the payos (they have behind the ears so I just cut those a little with scissors) and front/bangs (I do it with scissors also). Their haircuts are very basic (no fading with different #s, etc) but BH my boys have not been complaining and no one comments so it can’t be that bad 😃

gzl

Post Wed, Aug 17 2022, 7:55 pm
So proud of myself , gave my boys haircuts and it came out pretty neat.
Wish I would have done it a long time ago

amother
Whitewash

Post Wed, Aug 17 2022, 8:05 pm
gzl wrote:
So proud of myself , gave my boys haircuts and it came out pretty neat.
Wish I would have done it a long time ago

Good for you!

My son is just a little over 3 and did not need many haircuts yet.
I waited forever at barber last week and paid $14. I told dh never again! Either he takes him to shul (it's cheaper there) or we learn to do it at home.

2 issues
I'm afraid of doing the payos/shuir
Ds jumps and shrugs his shoulders making it really scary

miami85

Post Wed, Aug 17 2022, 8:08 pm
We have been cutting our boys' hair for years now. We watched a few youtube videos.

In a nutshell we have a trimmer that came with a whole hair-cutting kit. I use a 3 blade all the way around, then do neckline, wet the bangs and sideburns and use the scissors to trim the bangs, payos and around the ears.

amother
Seafoam

Post Wed, Aug 17 2022, 8:21 pm
Depending on how many boys you have, it might be worth it to buy the more expensive machine.
I found that the cheap ones(like wahl) overheated after 2-3 haircuts. It's really more convenient to do all at the same time. I do my husband too.
Start with bigger number and then go shorter the first time so you know which length you like.
I don't like bangs so I give over the top. Usually 2 in the back and 4 on top. Very important to finish the back with straight lines(no comb)
Practice on your youngest boy first! You really can't go wrong unless comb falls off during haircut and you get a bold spot!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children