Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Toddlers
DS is dropping naps & we're sleep deprived

luvsfun

Post Thu, May 15 2008, 8:36 pm
So... ds is basically starting to drop his day time naps & im just wondering what everyone does on shabbos afternoon in such a case. Does only one of you nap? none of you, or do you take turns?

NotInNJMommy

Post Thu, May 15 2008, 9:00 pm
Taking turns....or actually bc shabbos is so late, I nap at the END of shabbos after the kids are in bed...

curlytop

Post Thu, May 15 2008, 9:07 pm
how old is your son? mine is 2 yrs and a month and he keeps waking up in middle of the night and we're wondering if he is ready to cut out his nap. We arent!!
The only reason I think that might not be the reason is because he goes to sleep nicely at night, just waking up a million times in the middle of the night...

Helani

Post Thu, May 15 2008, 9:11 pm
Usually we take turns. Once in a while we manage to send the older two out on a playdate while the baby sleeps and then we get a nap in at the same time.

luvsfun

Post Thu, May 15 2008, 9:21 pm
this past shabbos was the first time we had the issue...offically I was supposed to nap first, but somehow dh went in first... by the time my turn came, I couldnt fall asleep, but later I put ds in at 8 & fell asleep after

Mommy3.5

Post Thu, May 15 2008, 10:10 pm
we make our kids take a chill in their rooms, especially on a long shabbat. Sometimes they fall asleep, sometimes they don't, but either way they have to have a quiet afternoon.

chocolate moose

Post Fri, May 16 2008, 10:46 am
I taught the kids to play quietly in their rooms. can you take him to a friend ?

Twizzlers

Post Fri, May 16 2008, 11:54 am
curlytop, maybe put some toys in his crib? my 20 month old also wakes up a few times a nite, but he just plays with his toys, talks to himself, and then goes back to sleep. no crying, or calling mommy or whatever...just does his thing, and thats it.

curlytop

Post Tue, May 20 2008, 12:05 am
Thats interesting about the toys, he wakes up in middle of the night to play?? Cant see my son putting himself to sleep again. Anyways, on Thursday we decided enough was enough already, and took away both his bottle and paci, he is over 2 and doesnt need it, he was waking up for refills and to find his paci.
The weekend was a toughy... he refused to nap all weekend, but slept through the night a little better... we also let him scream it out a little... Monday at the babysitter she managed to get him to nap for 2 hours, I dont know how she is a miracle worker... so we will see what happens tonight, whether it was really the bottle/paci or that he didnt need a nap...
Will keep you posted

Tamiri

Post Tue, May 20 2008, 1:39 am
curlytop wrote:
Monday at the babysitter she managed to get him to nap for 2 hours, I dont know how she is a miracle worker...

Probably, I would guess, because she did not take "no" for an answer when she told him it's time for a nap. She probably made sure he was good and timed, well fed and then when it was time, put him in and said "stay". If he cried she probably did not let up and allow him out of bed.
In short, she let him know who was boss and that he has to follow what she says!
You can probably do that too, as long as you don't feel sorry for him when he refuses to nap.
I learned this lesson the hard way with my own son.

curlytop

Post Wed, May 21 2008, 12:46 am
I know she does tell him who is boss for some reason I think he believes her more than me... when I asked her today how he napped, she said "we managed"... Id rather not know what that means... she really is a great babysitter so I trust her fully

Akeres Habayis

Post Thu, May 22 2008, 7:35 am
curlytop dd is 17months and is also doing the same thing.
her morning nap is pretty much gone(she goes to a metapelet) when she comes home at 1she is very tired,I give her a snack,nurse and then she takes a nap till 3.but just like your ds,she goes to bed nicely,but wakes in the middle of the nap,screaming like tarzan for someone to take her out.she use to climb out of the crib so I put the playpen in front she would just end up there.last night I did the biggest no no ever,I just brought her to my room and she nurse/suckled till the morning.I was desperate,and I'm all for crying it out,when I know everything is ok,but since she knows how to climb out of the crib I get nervous thinking she fell or something(that's how her screams sound).
waiting for advice.should I just ignore the screaming,and hope she didnt get out of the crib or playpen,but I guess if she did she would be in my room Confused
btw
I might take a nap,but dh watches her for me,if she doesnt go to sleep

raizy

Post Fri, May 23 2008, 1:20 am
my two yr old needs his nap but fights it like crazy. but then goes to sleep for 3 hrs straight. he knows how to jump out off the crib. if he doesnt nap at the proper hr then he will just crash later on like 4:30

Maya

Post Fri, May 23 2008, 1:37 am
My 2-year-old son stopped taking naps in playgroup during the week, but does nap on the weekends when he's home.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics