Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Fashion and Beauty -> Sheitels & Tichels
How much do shaitel machers make per wig sold

amother
OP

Post Wed, Sep 14 2022, 12:58 pm
If she had me write out the check straight to the company does that mean she didn't make any money? She acted as If she done me a huge favor but I still paid A LOT

amother
Chestnut

Post Wed, Sep 14 2022, 1:03 pm
amother OP wrote:
If she had me write out the check straight to the company does that mean she didn't make any money? She acted as If she done me a huge favor but I still paid A LOT

Of course she made money (I hope) but she probably owes the company for more than just your wig. So your check goes towards her balance.
She made it sound like she's doing you a huge favor with what? The price she quoted you? The fact that she took a check?

amother
OP

Post Wed, Sep 14 2022, 1:05 pm
The fact that she was selling it at "cost price" she normally charges 300-500 more

amother
Snowdrop

Post Wed, Sep 14 2022, 1:19 pm
So maybe she did do you a big favor. Thank her!

Sheitels are expensive. A savings of 300-500 is nothing to sneeze at and I would be happy keep that in my pocket.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Sep 14 2022, 1:23 pm
I'm sure she did but my point is did she make money?

amother
Antiquewhite

Post Wed, Sep 14 2022, 1:27 pm
amother OP wrote:
The fact that she was selling it at "cost price" she normally charges 300-500 more

If she said she sold to you at cost, she sold it for what it costs her. So no, she did not make any money on your sale. And if she cut for free (because it was included in the sale), she actually lost money.

amother
Clear

Post Wed, Sep 14 2022, 1:29 pm
amother OP wrote:

Of course she did you a huge favor!
They make money, but not such a huge amount.

amother
Snowdrop

Post Wed, Sep 14 2022, 1:30 pm
Op what's the real issue here?
You think she is lying to you? Made money?
You sound angry. Why?
She says she sold you a wig at cost and you sound angry? You think she is tricking you or something?
You wrote a check directly to the manufacturer and not to the sheitel macher. That could help being DLKZ.
If you do not trust her then don't buy from her again.
She is probably mystified by your reaction to what sounds like a nice gesture.

lamplighter

Post Wed, Sep 14 2022, 4:05 pm
If she sold it to you at cost, she lost money actually.

Yes shaitel machers make $300-500+ on a shaitel.

Amarante

Post Wed, Sep 14 2022, 5:01 pm
Did she say you were getting it at cost or just that you were getting a good deal.

Having you write a check to the company makes no sense unless she is attempting to avoid having that payment show in he books.

But frankly I am not understanding how that transaction would work. Most wholesales have accounts with their distributors and so they expect payment from the entity that have their account with. If you order through a designer (for example) you pay the designer and they order it for you because the company has no "account" with an individual.

But the bottom line is why should you care? Presumably you checked pricing for the kind of wig you bought and so you knew whether you were getting a good price for it. How much the SM on each transaction is irrelevant. I used sell vintage items in the early days of EBAY and so the price I charged reflected the fair market value of what I was selling - if I got something for very cheap I made more but sometimes I had to pay more for something and made less. And of course I also had inventory that didn't sell at all or I had to sell at a huge discount.

amother
Chestnut

Post Wed, Sep 14 2022, 5:20 pm
amother OP wrote:
I'm sure she did but my point is did she make money?

Why do you need to know?

amother
Linen

Post Wed, Sep 14 2022, 5:31 pm
My sister is a shaitel macher. She was charging $1,000 on top of cost price per each wig already five years ago. They make way more than 300-500 per wig. If she made you feel like she was doing you a HUGE favor, she was probably a jerk. Just my take. She should be making you feel great about yourself. And no one makes only $300 on a wig. She was bullsh*tting you big time.

amother
OP

Post Wed, Sep 14 2022, 5:37 pm
Thank you that was really validating! Bc I feel so stupid asking her to fix things etc bc she did this whole show how she's not making any money and it's for a zechus etc...

amother
Wandflower

Post Wed, Sep 14 2022, 5:39 pm
amother Linen wrote:
My sister is a shaitel macher. She was charging $1,000 on top of cost price per each wig already five years ago. They make way more than 300-500 per wig. If she made you feel like she was doing you a HUGE favor, she was probably a jerk. Just my take. She should be making you feel great about yourself. And no one makes only $300 on a wig. She was bullsh*tting you big time.

I know firsthand from a friend who used to be the sole importer of a particular sheitel brand.
The sheitel machers made MORE profit than she did. We are talking here about way way more than $500 and that was three to four years ago.

amother
Tomato

Post Wed, Sep 14 2022, 5:40 pm
amother Linen wrote:

Way to spread misinformation. SOME Sm make 1000+ markup. But it obviously depends on which wigs they sell, price and varies alott

amother
Snowdrop

Post Wed, Sep 14 2022, 5:54 pm
Exactly! Some might do this but certainly does not mean everyone does! Op if you don't like her just find a different SM who you trust to go to. Please now above all times do not jump to conclusions.

amother
Hyssop

Post Wed, Sep 14 2022, 6:24 pm
I had someone tell me that. It was not true. (I did my research unfortunately after the fact). She then did not stand behind the product, was nasty when I asked for assistance, and let’s just say That I never went to her again.

Unless she is family, why is she selling to you at cost. If someone said that to me, I would be very skeptical, because why. She doesn’t owe me anything so why is she doing me a “special favor” Maybe skepticism is what happens as you age.

amother
Snowdrop

Post Wed, Sep 14 2022, 6:28 pm
skepticism can be healthy...before the fact.
like if I don't trust the offer then I don't buy it
if I choose to buy it I do so knowing it might not the case but still worth it
not after to bash an offer that might (or might not) be legit

maybe there is more to the story

sv9506

Post Thu, Sep 15 2022, 12:02 am
Maybe she considers cost - what she paid for the wig plus what she charges for a cut - so she is considering that she didn't make a profit because you just paid for the wig and for her time/cut. But who knows how much her cut is lol!

amother
PlumPink

Post Thu, Sep 15 2022, 12:04 am
amother OP wrote:
Thank you that was really validating! Bc I feel so stupid asking her to fix things etc bc she did this whole show how she's not making any money and it's for a zechus etc...

Anyone who is really doing tzedaka would do it properly and not make you feel like a shnorrer. It's one of the halachos of tzedaka to keep the kavod of the recipient in mind. She is definitely making money and by begrudging you the discount she is not getting the mitzva either.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Fashion and Beauty -> Sheitels & Tichels