Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Shopping
What did you get yourself for Yom tov?
Previous  1  2  3

LovesHashem

Post Fri, Sep 16 2022, 5:30 am
amother Oleander wrote:
Nothing. I didn’t grow up with this concept and my husband didn’t either. I buy myself what I need when I need it.

I learned it's the halacha.
But it doesn't need to be big. Just something that will make you happy and make your yuntiv exciting. If that's a new book, slippers, or just some some fake but trendy earrings from target.

amother
Sand

Post Fri, Sep 16 2022, 7:53 am
For the Ima that bought an expensive knife, I also saw on Kosher.com that it is a chassidishe minhag to buy a knife for Rosh Hashanah.

I have not heard of that before. (Not surprising since I am not chasidish.) I will not be buying a knife.
I did buy the Eishes Chayil Yomim Noraim Treasury and so far it looks good.

amother
Leaf

Post Fri, Sep 16 2022, 8:25 am
I’ll get a few books from the library. Maybe the ami. New reading material makes me happy.

amother
DarkGray

Post Fri, Sep 16 2022, 8:31 am
Some new crisp white tablecloths.
Nothing fancy, but with a nice thread detail running through. After trying out different colour schemes, there is nothing like a crisp white tablecloths.

I don't generally buy myself clothes specifically for yomtov. I do much better buying myself stuff throughout the year without the pressure of having to find something by a certain deadline. This way I ways have something reasonably new without the pressure.

I haven't bought or received any decent jewellery in years. Gotta get to work on my husband for that...

amother
Oleander

Post Fri, Sep 16 2022, 8:36 am
amother Carnation wrote:
This one actually has a real source. There's a mitzvah of simchas yontif (for succos at least) and the gemara says for women that means new clothes.

I'm finally not nursing or in maternity for the first time in almost 2 years so I bought a new YT dress (target) and robe (Amazon) to restock my very empty closet

Gemara was written by men lol. New clothes don’t give me much happiness. I’m good.

mizle10

Post Fri, Sep 16 2022, 8:44 am
amother Oleander wrote:
Gemara was written by men lol. New clothes don’t give me much happiness. I’m good.

What's that supposed to mean?

It's brought down a man is supposed to buy something for his wife and children to enhance simchas YT. I don't remember what is says for women but I remember hearing it says nuts for the children which is obviously no longer a treat but it's just telling us to get something to make them happy.

amother
Oleander

Post Fri, Sep 16 2022, 8:47 am
mizle10 wrote:
What's that supposed to mean?

It's brought down a man is supposed to buy something for his wife and children to enhance simchas YT. I don't remember what is says for women but I remember hearing it says nuts for the children which is obviously no longer a treat but it's just telling us to get something to make them happy.

Gifts are not my love language so this just doesn’t resonate. It’s not something I would appreciate.

amother
Coral

Post Fri, Sep 16 2022, 8:58 am
amother Oleander wrote:

I still do it because I think it's a good minhag and I have trained myself deliberately to do it. I'm not much into fashion or style, but wearing a new dress or piece of jewelry still adds to the spirit of YT a d can make it a bit more festive. So, I either time my clothes shopping specifically and buy before YT, or I save and reserve an item which I've bought earlier in the year. It doesn't have to be expensive. I'm totally fine with Shein dresses and fake jewelry. Afterwards, they usually continue their life in my YT/simcha supply or get transferred to the Shabbat department.

mizle10

Post Fri, Sep 16 2022, 9:05 am
amother Oleander wrote:
Gifts are not my love language so this just doesn’t resonate. It’s not something I would appreciate.

It has nothing to do with love! Does curling up on the couch with a new book make you happy? Do you enjoy a good chocolate truffle in the morning? A box of macaroons for an evening treat? An hour of cleaning help on YT to clean up after the meal? Something small to bring you an extra little bit of joy on YT.

Me personally, I'll take shoes every time Wink

amother
Snow

Post Fri, Sep 16 2022, 9:06 am
I am currently in my 8th month, so not really buying stuff, but I did buy one robe, which hopefully I will be able to wear after as well. It’s not maternity, but it is stretchy, so hopefully I won’t stretch it out too much by wearing it when pregnant.
I know the stores are going to be crazy, but I’m hoping to take my girls shopping on Sunday, and I guess my boys too? Two shifts, definitely….
I bought myself a bunch of new books also.

LovesHashem

Post Fri, Sep 16 2022, 9:07 am
amother Oleander wrote:

I learned it was anything that will enhance your yuntiv.

amother
Mistyrose

Post Fri, Sep 16 2022, 9:08 am
I want to get my sheitels professionally set.
I'm not buying myself y"t clothes that will fit me for another three months. I'll make do with what I have.

amother
Petunia

Post Fri, Sep 16 2022, 9:14 am
a pack of cookies

amother
Burgundy

Post Fri, Sep 16 2022, 11:26 am
New house slippers

chocolate moose

Post Sun, Sep 18 2022, 1:05 pm
a brisket and I had a sheital redone. dh is getting a new machzor.
Page 3 of 3 Previous  1  2  3 Recent Topics