Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> Reading Room
S/o frum romance
Previous  1  2

WitchKitty

Post Thu, Sep 29 2022, 3:47 am
Marcus Lehman's books.

amother
Molasses

Post Thu, Sep 29 2022, 9:55 am
There's a few not mainstream romantic books. I remember one about a widow with children finding love again, there was also a detective one, one called brother can you sell me a million, or something like that. And a few others that I read over the years and liked. Faye Kellerman's books are technically jewish and have a jewish protagonist. But I wouldn't call them frum.

amother
Rainbow

Post Fri, Nov 04 2022, 3:30 pm
Quote:
Another vote for Sun Inside Rain does anyone know who M Basara is and if she ever wrote another book? I must have read it 4 times already and can read it again today.

I've decided that M Basara is Rachel Pomerantz. Anyone else see the parallels in their writings?

PinkFridge

Post Fri, Nov 04 2022, 4:57 pm
amother Rainbow wrote:
Quote:
Another vote for Sun Inside Rain does anyone know who M Basara is and if she ever wrote another book? I must have read it 4 times already and can read it again today.

I've decided that M Basara is Rachel Pomerantz. Anyone else see the parallels in their writings?

I thought so too but she has a teen story book and the acknowledgments made me think otherwise.

amother
DarkGray

Post Fri, Nov 04 2022, 5:55 pm
amother Rainbow wrote:
Quote:

No way, the writing styles are very different.
Also, I've read interviews of both and they have led very different lives.
Rachel Pomerantz has stated straight out what her real name is, btw, she's totally open about it. I remember reading some poetry by her in the Jewish Observer (under her real name) years and years ago, when I was a teen. Like, 30 years ago. It was about being a foster mother--kind of like the story of her first book.
M. Bassara wrote another, sort of YA book. She also has written for other publications under a different psuedonym. I think she's mentioned writing for Hamodia. Said she got her first published piece in the now defunct Horizons magazine.
Haven't read all the replies here, but has anyone mentioned Exiles of Crocodile Island? That could be classified as frum (historical) romance, I think.

amother
Anemone

Post Sat, Nov 05 2022, 7:19 pm
The Outside World- Tova Mirvis

amother
Smokey

Post Sat, Nov 05 2022, 7:35 pm
amother Steelblue wrote:
That serial that someone was posting here is fabulous!! Damsel in distress or something
But it hasn't been updated in a while.

Can you link it please?

kenz

Post Sat, Nov 05 2022, 8:37 pm
amother Rainbow wrote:
Quote:

She is not. Both excellent, very different writers.

mommy9

Post Sat, Nov 05 2022, 9:30 pm
shabbatiscoming wrote:
South African Journeys is my favorite frum novel. I didnt know the author wrote another book Smile

She also wrote scattered blossoms and Full Circle. She is my favourite author and I read a lot.

mommy9

Post Sat, Nov 05 2022, 9:32 pm
amother Rainbow wrote:
Quote:

Same here

amother
DarkGray

Post Sat, Nov 05 2022, 10:36 pm
mommy9 wrote:
Same here

Two different people.

I've read several interviews/personal essays of Rachel Pomerantz (and she used to have a website, don't know if it's still up) and she's very open about her real name, American background, family, job (she's retired now, but worked as a professor and then director of a math program at an Israeli college). M. Bassara is more anonymous but years ago after the success of her first book, she gave an interview to Horizons magazine. I don't remember all the details but she is from South Africa and she was a bit involved in the fight against apartheid. You could read between the lines about her private life to figure some other stuff out about her personal life but I don't feel it is right to put it out here as she obviously prefers her privacy but suffice it to say, it is very very different than Rachel Pomerantz.

And their writing styles are so different, it surprise me to hear people say they are similar. I always thought the Rachel Pomerantz books made so much sense that they were written by a mathmetician. Very logically connected plots and plot points, etc. The humor in the dialogue is very math professor type--dry wit type. (She said btw that a lot of the anti-woman college/professional bias she writes about in the A Time to Rend, A Time to Sew book, she personally experienced and that that book was probably the most biographical, although Wildflower has some stuff, too.)

amother
Whitewash

Post Sat, Nov 05 2022, 10:45 pm
I always wondered if M Bassara was a giyoret. The name looks like a contraction of Bas Sarah. Both she and Rachel Pomerantz wrote about baalei teshuva, but the style of writing is very different.

amother
Khaki

Post Sat, Nov 05 2022, 10:55 pm
amother Smokey wrote:
Can you link it please?

It’s a great read. Whenever she updated the story was such a treat!
https://www.imamother.com/foru.....42938

amother
DarkGray

Post Sat, Nov 05 2022, 11:03 pm
amother Whitewash wrote:
I always wondered if M Bassara was a giyoret. The name looks like a contraction of Bas Sarah. Both she and Rachel Pomerantz wrote about baalei teshuva, but the style of writing is very different.

Well...she's been pretty open about it, so I'll say that Rachel Pomerantz is a giyores. Her husband is a born Jew. They were heavily influenced by the Bostoner Rebbe when they were in college as I recall. Either Harvard or Yale, I don't remember which one.

amother
Cyan

Post Sat, Nov 05 2022, 11:05 pm
Following

lylac

Post Sat, Nov 05 2022, 11:34 pm
Libby lazewniks deception

sara_s

Post Sun, Nov 06 2022, 3:53 am
mommy9 wrote:
She also wrote scattered blossoms and Full Circle. She is my favourite author and I read a lot.

Gita Gordon also wrote Flashback which is my favorite novel of hers, it's a historical novel with romance intertwined
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> Reading Room