Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Finances
Sick to my stomach - grocery spending this month
Previous  1  2

Bnei Berak 10

Post Mon, Oct 03 2022, 12:18 pm
Produce in season only
Individual snacks: there is no reason for this except convenience.
More family sit down meals and cut out frequent snacking. It ruins the appetite.
Industrial snack like chips etc is junk and expensive.

amother
Bergamot

Post Mon, Oct 03 2022, 12:29 pm
following!

amother
Lily

Post Mon, Oct 03 2022, 12:40 pm
amother OP wrote:
This is helpful, I was told instacart prices are always more plus the tips. So Costco prices will exactly match the one in the stores? I really don't have time in my week to go to multiple stores. I try doing target for cheaper stuff or Amazon Fresh.

Disclaimer - I use Instacart for almost all of my shopping but I don't need to save money.

Instacart is always more expensive than shopping in the store in person. I have their annual membership so there is no "delivery fee" but there is a service fee which can be quite high as it is calculated as a percentage of your order so sometimes my service fee is $12 or even $15 if I have a large order.

Also you really need to tip your shopper at least 15% - I tip them 20%. These people are independent contractors and are NOT paid by the store and are paid very minimally by Instacart - not even minimum wage not to mention cost of their car and gas. They go to the store - pick the items - stand on line - load the groceries in their cart and then drive to your home and drop the bags off. I would never never never use a service and cheat the workers by not tipping them appropriately.

Most stores - including Costco - charge more than the store prices. You can check the policy on each store's page but almost all charge a premium surcharge on every item. This amount is set by the store and not Instacart because technically Instacart is just the platform for the stores - think of it as an internet mall and the stores set their own prices.

Some stores do charge in-store prices. In my city this would be Ralphs which is a Kroger store and Walmart. The rest of the markets that I would normally shop at do charge more for each item - and significantly more. My neighbor is a Costco member and sometimes he will ask if I can use something and I will ask for some fruit and maybe coffee and when I compare prices on just a few items the cost through Instacart can be $15 or more versus what the cost is in the store.

amother
Scarlet

Post Mon, Oct 03 2022, 1:08 pm
Family of 5 and a small baby
Went shopping twice so far
First time my total was 900$
Last night was $400

librarygirl

Post Mon, Oct 03 2022, 2:36 pm
Agree that same-day Costco through instacart is well more expensive than going to the store. Items can be 1-2 dollars more each, plus a respectable tip can easily add $40 per order.

amother
Electricblue

Post Mon, Oct 03 2022, 2:49 pm
Prices are high, Lots of vacation for kids, More meals and snacks needed. This is part of life. This is the season of the Chaggim. Alot of food and eating. The bigger the kids get, the more they eat. Ask any parent with teenagers, and kids past the age of 8. The smaller kids need less.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics