Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women
Working Erev Yom Kippur
Previous  1  2  3  4

amother
Brickred

Post Tue, Oct 04 2022, 8:38 am

amother
OP

Post Tue, Oct 04 2022, 8:40 am
amother Brickred wrote:

Wow! That's tough!!
Hatzlacha!!

amother
Chartreuse

Post Tue, Oct 04 2022, 8:54 am
In some communities (mine), erev yk is widely regarded as a yt. Most similar to Purim. The Seudas are not only to prep for the fast gut to celebrate a yt and are done with full pompous and ceremony.

If need be, people work on Purim as well. @watergirl many ppl have time to lounge Purim also. There is time to technically do all the mitzvos Hayom and work. However it’s sad and difficult for those of use that need to do that.

This year I’m not working erev yk but my husband has to, and he has a commute. We are grateful for his job and sad that he has to work on such a holy day. That he can’t be a part of our families beautiful seudas and had to rush davening and couldn’t prepare like a Mentchen or be bent hard by his father.

It is no tragedy, and bh for work and health and yt , but it’s still difficult, annoying and a bit sad.

watergirl

Post Tue, Oct 04 2022, 8:55 am
fleetwood wrote:
You do realize that we need to eat the meal before the zman. We also need to shower and get dressed for shul. Some of us need to travel somewhere for the meal ( like myself,). It's quite wrong of you to downplay how difficult it is for us to work today.

Yes I realize. I do it myself too, minus the travel. Food, shower, dressed, clean up after... I'm also a frum mother. I can't travel, considering I work. You do what you have to do when you have no choice. I did not say it was easy. I said this is how I do it to make it easier for me. I have to work until 3:30 and won't be home until 4, so this is how I do it so it is as easy as it can be for me. If I was home though, and I had a fridge full of shabbos food, I would still not be making even more. We eat what we have.

4g01o

Post Tue, Oct 04 2022, 9:02 am
watergirl wrote:
Yes I realize. I do it myself too, minus the travel. Food, shower, dressed, clean up after... I'm also a frum mother. I can't travel, considering I work. You do what you have to do when you have no choice. I did not say it was easy. I said this is how I do it to make it easier for me. I have to work until 3:30 and won't be home until 4, so this is how I do it so it is as easy as it can be for me. If I was home though, and I had a fridge full of shabbos food, I would still not be making even more. We eat what we have.

If I absolutely had to then I'd make it work too. But I'd find it extremely difficult, especially with a baby.

It's 5pm here now, Yom Kippur starts before 6.30 I think...
We're just finishing showering, we're done visiting the parents, the food is getting hot. I managed to mop the floors bh. But I have a double load of laundry to fold and put away after Yom Tov because I've not had a second to do it and I've not worked today, or relaxed much. Besides for coming on here Smile

We're all calm because I'm calm because we're running on time bh.

watergirl

Post Tue, Oct 04 2022, 9:08 am
Fab4 wrote:
If I absolutely had to then I'd make it work too. But I'd find it extremely difficult, especially with a baby.

It's 5pm here now, Yom Kippur starts before 6.30 I think...
We're just finishing showering, we're done visiting the parents, the food is getting hot. I managed to mop the floors bh. But I have a double load of laundry to fold and put away after Yom Tov because I've not had a second to do it and I've not worked today, or relaxed much. Besides for coming on here Smile

We're all calm because I'm calm because we're running on time bh.

I think it’s a matter of expectations. I’m not mopping, but I will sweep my floors. I’m not visiting parents (it never occurred to me to visit them erev YK honestly).

We all do our best, whatever that looks like for each of us.

4g01o

Post Tue, Oct 04 2022, 9:08 am
Those on the pill, reminder to take it just before you light.

Gmar chasima tova to all.
And an easy fast!

4g01o

Post Tue, Oct 04 2022, 9:12 am
watergirl wrote:
I think it’s a matter of expectations. I’m not mopping, but I will sweep my floors. I’m not visiting parents (it never occurred to me to visit them erev YK honestly).

We all do our best, whatever that looks like for each of us.

You're absolutely right.
I didn't get to clean my toilets but we'll survive.

Tomorrow it'll look like a bombs hit us here anyway! Lol.
My kids just do what they want whilst I mostly stay put on the couch

vandm

Post Tue, Oct 04 2022, 12:16 pm
all day and in the office until 4 pm ish

chestnut

Post Tue, Oct 04 2022, 1:44 pm
Yup. Got home at 4
Page 4 of 4 Previous  1  2  3  4 Recent Topics