Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Lakewood, Toms River & Jackson related Inquiries
When does a February 2020 girl start school?
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Thu, Oct 06 2022, 8:15 am
This year older twos (turns three in February). Next year three year old (turns 4 in February). Next year 4 year old (turns 5 in February). She starts the next year?

amother
Seagreen

Post Thu, Oct 06 2022, 8:46 am
Some schools take for kindergarten (4 turning 5) but not all if she doesn’t have an older sibling. If you know where you want to send and they have a kindergarten, it’s worth filling out the application but not fully necessary until the following year for pre1a

amother
Amethyst

Post Thu, Oct 06 2022, 8:48 am
In Lakewood she will start when she’s 5 turning 6, for primary.

mha3484

Post Thu, Oct 06 2022, 10:43 am
My daughter is a year and change older (2019 birthday). She will start what we call Kindergarten when she is 5 turning 6 which is the 24-25 school year.

amother
Rose

Post Thu, Oct 06 2022, 10:48 am
mha3484 wrote:
My daughter is a year and change older (2019 birthday). She will start what we call Kindergarten when she is 5 turning 6 which is the 24-25 school year.

I think she means lakewood since it's in that section

mha3484

Post Thu, Oct 06 2022, 10:49 am
I think our cut off dates are not far apart based on past discussions. Its a difference of maybe two months I think.

amother
Rose

Post Thu, Oct 06 2022, 10:50 am
My daughter is jan 2020 so same age. I'm sending to a school with kindergarten ( my older kids are there ) so she'll start when she's 4 turning 5. Primary is the next year 5 turning 6. So you need to apply the sukkos that she's 4.

amother
Navy

Post Thu, Oct 06 2022, 12:23 pm
Can someone help me with my daughter?
She’s December ‘19, so she’s turning 3 soon.
Currently she’s in a group with kids who turn 3 July- December (don’t know what it’s called).

What group am I looking for for next year, and when does she start primary?

amother
Seagreen

Post Thu, Oct 06 2022, 12:44 pm
amother Navy wrote:
Currently she’s in a group with kids who turn 3 July- December (don’t know what it’s called).

She’s younger 3s but shes right at the cutoff so depending on her development and whether you want her to be the oldest or the youngest, you could send her to older 3s or kindergarten next year.

amother
Navy

Post Thu, Oct 06 2022, 1:04 pm
amother Seagreen wrote:
She’s younger 3s but shes right at the cutoff so depending on her development and whether you want her to be the oldest or the youngest, you could send her to older 3s or kindergarten next year.

Thanks.
I have another daughter a year younger (turning 2), but she’s February (2021).
So which age group would she be in next year?

Chayalle

Post Thu, Oct 06 2022, 1:14 pm
amother Navy wrote:

I have a sibling who was born at the end of December, who says she wishes she had been kept back (it wasn't a "thing" back then). She was very social and outgoing, but she says there were things she struggled with, that she thinks would've been easier a year later.

amother
Navy

Post Thu, Oct 06 2022, 1:21 pm
Chayalle wrote:
I have a sibling who was born at the end of December, who says she wishes she had been kept back (it wasn't a "thing" back then). She was very social and outgoing, but she says there were things she struggled with, that she thinks would've been easier a year later.

That’s interesting to hear.
I’ll discuss it with her current morah (wish this conversation didn’t have to take place so soon when I feel like she’s just getting to know her 😕).
If “leaving her back” would mean older 3’s for next year, will that mean that she and my younger daughter will be ready for primary the same year? That obviously won’t work.

amother
Seagreen

Post Thu, Oct 06 2022, 1:48 pm
amother Navy wrote:
Thanks.
I have another daughter a year younger (turning 2), but she’s February (2021).
So which age group would she be in next year?

The cutoff is January so she’d be older 2s next year. With that info, I’d recommend sending your older one to kindergarten next year so that there’s a grade between them rather than them being back to back. It’ll help decrease competitiveness

mha3484

Post Thu, Oct 06 2022, 1:52 pm
amother Seagreen wrote:
The cutoff is January so she’d be older 2s next year. With that info, I’d recommend sending your older one to kindergarten next year so that there’s a grade between them rather than them being back to back. It’ll help decrease competitiveness

I agree with this. I have two boys two school years apart and the older one struggles more school wise. He is also much more shy. I am very happy they have a cushion of a full school year between them because the younger one seems to have much more come easily to him socially and academically and I can see it causing issues if they were closer together.

Chayalle

Post Thu, Oct 06 2022, 2:03 pm
amother Navy wrote:
That’s interesting to hear.
I’ll discuss it with her current morah (wish this conversation didn’t have to take place so soon when I feel like she’s just getting to know her 😕).
If “leaving her back” would mean older 3’s for next year, will that mean that she and my younger daughter will be ready for primary the same year? That obviously won’t work.

Speaking to the Morah is a great idea. But you're right - it's so soon. I think you could apply to school for her, and make a decision later in the year. Often a school will hold your slot for you for the coming year. (I have a relative whose child got into BF primary when someone decided to keep their child back and a slot opened up. This was when school already started!)

I also hear you about the issues of two sisters close in age. That's something to take into consideration, but you have to do what's best for each child....I've heard of siblings being in different schools....

amother
Navy

Post Thu, Oct 06 2022, 2:26 pm
Thanks for all that advice.
I think of myself as a new mom of two babies so this is all pretty overwhelming for me 🙈.
Definitely not looking to send her to school for kindergarten if it’s not necessary, although maybe that would change for my younger daughter since she’ll have an older sister.

amother
PlumPink

Post Thu, Oct 06 2022, 3:08 pm
Alot of schools the cut of for applications is end of December. February means she'll be one of the older birthdays in her class. Now most ppl hold back. For sure for boys schools they would rather not take even end of year birthdays, October, Nov, and Dec.

amother
Amethyst

Post Thu, Oct 06 2022, 3:40 pm
amother Navy wrote:

Right now she is in younger 3s. You would want to sign her up for older 3s for next year. There are very few schools that will accept an oldest child with a December birthday —I personally don’t know of any at all but of course I don’t know all schools —so if you do decide to send to 4 year olds keep in mind she will likely be repeating 4 year olds, which can be harder on the kids than going from younger 3 to older 3.

amother
Navy

Post Thu, Oct 06 2022, 6:13 pm
amother Amethyst wrote:
Right now she is in younger 3s. You would want to sign her up for older 3s for next year. There are very few schools that will accept an oldest child with a December birthday —I personally don’t know of any at all but of course I don’t know all schools —so if you do decide to send to 4 year olds keep in mind she will likely be repeating 4 year olds, which can be harder on the kids than going from younger 3 to older 3.

Thanks for your input.
What do you mean by repeating 4 year olds?
Schools wouldn’t take a kid with a December birthday for Primary if she’s the oldest, or just for kindergarten?

amother
Amethyst

Post Thu, Oct 06 2022, 8:37 pm
amother Navy wrote:
Thanks for your input.
What do you mean by repeating 4 year olds?
Schools wouldn’t take a kid with a December birthday for Primary if she’s the oldest, or just for kindergarten?

Repeating 4 year olds meaning going to another 4 year old group after they’ve done 4 year olds once. It’s hard on the kid when the rest of their class will be going to school the next year. As opposed to going from younger 3 to older 3 because the kids really don’t know the difference at that point.

Schools really don’t take oldest girls for primary if they’ll be turning 5 in December. They will tell you to wait a year. Unless you have an in with a school in town and they agree to take.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Lakewood, Toms River & Jackson related Inquiries