Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Pregnancy & Childbirth -> Baby Names
Yeshaya or Yeshayahu?

amother
OP

Post Sun, Oct 16 2022, 12:17 am
I am a bit confused. My husband and I were discussing boys names over shabbos and I fell in love with the name yeshaya with a nickname of shaya. After shabbos when I Googled more about the name it seems yeshaya is already a nickname and the navi was yeshayahu? I know I should know this very obvious information from Tanach but I'm confused. Is it yeshaya hanavi... yeshayahu hanavi and is shaya even a nickname for this name or just for Yishai?

LovesHashem

Post Sun, Oct 16 2022, 12:49 am
Yeshayahu Hanavi was the name.

Ema of 5

Post Sun, Oct 16 2022, 1:25 am
amother OP wrote:
I am a bit confused. My husband and I were discussing boys names over shabbos and I fell in love with the name yeshaya with a nickname of shaya. After shabbos when I Googled more about the name it seems yeshaya is already a nickname and the navi was yeshayahu? I know I should know this very obvious information from Tanach but I'm confused. Is it yeshaya hanavi... yeshayahu hanavi and is shaya even a nickname for this name or just for Yishai?

Yeshaya and yeshayahu are the same name. Yishai is a different name.
Yermiya= yermiyahu
Chizkiya= chizkiyahu
Yeshaya= yeshayahu

mummy85

Post Sun, Oct 16 2022, 1:27 am
Ask your rav. we were told Yeshaya. I know others who use yeshayahu

amother
Catmint

Post Sun, Oct 16 2022, 1:31 am
Yeshaya is a different form of Yeshayahu, but not a nickname. It's one of many instances in the Torah where a letter was added (or letters) to a name, or changed in simple ways like that.
If you're naming for someone, find out if his name was Yeshaya or Yeshayahu. They're both full names, you can nickname both of them Shaya.

amother
Beige

Post Sun, Oct 16 2022, 2:53 am
Shaya is the nickname for Yeshaya and/or Yeshayahu.

(Yishai is a completely different name).

Bshaah tova.

amother
Coffee

Post Sun, Oct 16 2022, 3:43 am
We used Yeshaya as that is a name. We named after a relative with the name Yeshaya.
Both are correct, just different forms of the same name.

Rappel

Post Sun, Oct 16 2022, 5:18 am
The "Hu" at the end of many biblical names is an honorific. So either should be fine

amother
Pansy

Post Sun, Oct 16 2022, 7:33 am
I heard a psak (twice, but within the same extended family) that because yeshayahu died tragically, babies should be named yeshayahu because it's the full, actual name - but called yeshaya or shaya.

amother
OP

Post Sun, Oct 16 2022, 8:00 am
amother Pansy wrote:
I heard a psak (twice, but within the same extended family) that because yeshayahu died tragically, babies should be named yeshayahu because it's the full, actual name - but called yeshaya or shaya.

Oy, we aren't naming after anyone it's just a preference for the name but I don't want to name after someone who died a tragic early loss :/.

amother
OP

Post Sun, Oct 16 2022, 10:42 am
I really want to connect with this name. Can anyone share some aspiring anecdotes about him as a Navi?

BetsyTacy

Post Sun, Oct 16 2022, 11:30 am
amother OP wrote:
I really want to connect with this name. Can anyone share some aspiring anecdotes about him as a Navi?

He was not a navi who is famous for his "symbolic acts" or visions like say Yirmiyahu or Yechezkel--he prophecized earlier. He has some sad prophecies about the churban, but is most famous for his prophecies of nechama--like the ones we read for the haftoros after tisha baav (such as nachamu nachamu ami).
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Pregnancy & Childbirth -> Baby Names