Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Toddlers
Do u have a school decided yet for your dc?

flowerpower

Post Thu, Feb 28 2008, 10:21 am
we dont have one yet-dh wants one, I want another.....

chocolate moose

Post Thu, Feb 28 2008, 10:02 pm
dc ?

flowerpower

Post Fri, Feb 29 2008, 11:32 am
dear child!!!!

Ruchel

Post Sat, Mar 01 2008, 1:57 pm
oh we agreed on kindergarten before we were even married… because it’s simple, there is only one that is not extra far. It’s still probably 45 mins to go and 45 mins back, but if we don’t move before dd is 3, that’s where she’ll go. A Chabad gan. She’ll probably be among the frummest kids, except the shluchim’s children of course, but from the reputation and pictures they seem to maintain high standards so it could be ok. It’s only kindergarten anyway.

Primary school… if we haven’t moved, she’ll go to the primary school that goes with the gan above. But dh is not thrilled that she’ll still be among the frummest at this age, and also that it’s Chabad. But it’s better than all the frum people sending to public when they don’t find exactly what they want imho.

If we move, we have found a great place (from gan to hs). It’s Orthodox (not charedi) with a Litvish hashkafa (so dh is happy), the standards are high, the chol is very “monitored” but excellent (among the top 10 schools in France, not Jewish schools but all!). Many different types of students, from traditional (non shomer mitzvos) to ultra Orthodox, but that’s everywhere. If you want a “frum only” school, you have only a few, very very charedi schools, some with “no tv” or “sheitel” policies (!!!). Not for me, unless we realize the others aren’t serious enough or bad influences. Then maybe I would “sacrifice” if the “frum only” schools have a decent chol.

But up to now, we have chosen in advance. There is also a machmir MO school with GREAT chol and kodesh, but it’s too expensive and dh doesn’t want to hear from it lol
Not that I’m so interested, but they definitely have good points…

As you can see schooling is a huge question in France. Public or Jewish, Orthodox or ultra Orthodox, or the few MO schools, and all the other questions revolving around it.

manhattanmom

Post Thu, May 29 2008, 8:13 pm
If we stay in the neighborhood we're in now, we'll send him to the neighborhood school.
If I lived in a place like Brooklyn, I'd have no idea at this point....

NotInNJMommy

Post Thu, May 29 2008, 8:16 pm
well, there is 1 only preschool, and another preschool/grade school. We'd prefer to just send him tot he preschool/grade school so we don't have to change, but it will depend on schedule/funds/potty training (one will take in diapers, the other won't)

amother

Post Thu, May 29 2008, 8:27 pm
Be grateful that you have a choice of where to send your child. I live in Lakewood and I still don't have a place for my child and that's because I can't get in anywhere. B"h it's your choice.

flowerpower

Post Thu, May 29 2008, 8:29 pm
Why cant you get into a preschool in Lakewood? There are a few options and its only preschool.

SingALong

Post Thu, May 29 2008, 9:59 pm
im also from lakewood and I am still waiting to hear an answer from my DD school whether or not I am in. I can still send her to a private playgroup next year if she doesn't get in but I prefer to get her into school already.

to answer flower power's question:
lakewood has many schools but even more kids. schools are exploding with students, there is just not enough slots for everyone. one year, the situation was so bad that about 100 kids were without school placements. so a psak was put out that no school is allowed to open until every child has a place. B"H for that because before that there were kids without schools or parents driving their kids into brooklyn.
new schools keep opening up so hopefully things will get easier.

chaylizi

Post Thu, May 29 2008, 10:04 pm
there are only two schools here & I made the decision 2 years ago when dd was 3. now she's 5 & she's going into pre 1a. After that she'll change buildings, but go to the same school's elementary school. every kid has a place here.

louche

Post Fri, May 30 2008, 8:00 am
Harvard.

But economic realities being what they are, the local public college it will be.

Pre-college, we basically have no choice. There's one local school, not our "bag" in many ways, but I refuse to have my kids travel an hour and a half each way (when traffic conditions are good) to go to the "other" school, which wouldn't be our "bag" in other ways.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics