Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women -> Teachers' Room
Student making noises
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Mon, Oct 24 2022, 2:24 am
I have a student this year who is smart, hs a fun personality, has major distraction and impulse issues…and just sits there making noises. Drives me nuts. Doing things his hands doesn’t help. Family is new to the school and the administration wants to get parents to get him an evaluation but for right now I need to deal with it. I can’t teach with all the noise he makes! Any ideas?
(2nd grade)

amother
Peachpuff

Post Mon, Oct 24 2022, 2:29 am
Get the evaluation he probably can’t control it. Maybe move him to the back where you will hear him less. But you’ll have to deal with it.

amother
OP

Post Mon, Oct 24 2022, 2:31 am
It’s going to take a while.
And it’s a small classroom.
I know he can’t help it (although it can be hard to remember because he does have other behavioral problems), but it’s very hard teaching like this. I’m wondering if anyone has ever found a solution (even temporary).
I also can’t put him near the other students because they’ll go nuts.

smss

Post Mon, Oct 24 2022, 2:34 am
It's hard. I had the same thing one year. And yeah drives the other students crazy too. Honestly never found a great solution, I hope you do!

mushkamothers

Post Mon, Oct 24 2022, 2:35 am
Let him chew gum?

amother
OP

Post Mon, Oct 24 2022, 2:36 am
Even if he got a diagnosis how would that help me practically? What tips would be given to me then so why can’t I do those now?

amother
OP

Post Mon, Oct 24 2022, 2:37 am
mushkamothers wrote:
Let him chew gum?

Interesting idea, I doubt the principal would let. He also has impulse control issues in other areas so I really wouldn’t put it past him to play with it.

amother
Dandelion

Post Mon, Oct 24 2022, 7:29 am
amother OP wrote:
Even if he got a diagnosis how would that help me practically? What tips would be given to me then so why can’t I do those now?

You need to create a behavior plan if you want it to stop.

amother
Tiffanyblue

Post Mon, Oct 24 2022, 8:17 am
Is he repeating the same noises? It might be tics.

amother
Slateblue

Post Mon, Oct 24 2022, 8:19 am
Does he get help outside school, ot etc? Can it be for sensory regulation? I know a child with pandas who made noises and they were classified as vocal tics and cleared up with pandas treatment.
It is very challenging but remember he doesn't want to be annoying even more than it's difficult to tolerate. It's not easy being a child in school with challenges. I would also recommend keeping a close eye on it that it doesn't cause social issues

amother
NeonPink

Post Mon, Oct 24 2022, 8:24 am
Evaluation ASAP.

Could be sensory needs, a tic (as we don't know what you mean by “making noises”), ADHD or a myriad of other things.

Sounds like he needs OT pronto.

You are helping this child for life.

Bhatzlacha.

srbmom

Post Mon, Oct 24 2022, 8:27 am
He needs some sensory stimulation.
Either chewing gum, other chewing toys, fidget toys that don't make noise...
https://www.amazon.com/Necklac.....r=8-4
https://www.amazon.com/Boxgear.....r=8-9

They also make things for their chair that may help, but I'm not sure you want something that stands out so much
https://www.amazon.com/Inflate.....V2Y3L
https://www.amazon.com/Classro.....r=8-3

amother
Ebony

Post Mon, Oct 24 2022, 11:12 am
What type of noises. Vocally? Is he shifting in his chair and moving it around? I think if you explain what he's doing you might get better answers.

amother
OP

Post Mon, Oct 24 2022, 3:12 pm
Singing to himself, banging on the desk, moving around, making random noises with his mouth. He also has behavioral issues so it’s all one big thing.

amother
Eggplant

Post Mon, Oct 24 2022, 3:44 pm
-fidget toy
-movement breaks
-seat cushion
-behavior chart

He clearly needs some sensory input. Let him have it...it's not a "treat".

mfb

Post Mon, Oct 24 2022, 3:47 pm
For moving hands a lot I heard of a teacher that put Velcro (the hard side) under the desk so the kid can rub his fingers on it to get his sensory needs filled.

amother
Midnight

Post Mon, Oct 24 2022, 3:48 pm
Sensory kid 100% he is probably noise sensitive. The classroom can be an overwhelming place auditory wise and these kids will come up with ways to cope with their overwhelm. Ot with therapudic listening can work wonders

amother
Eggshell

Post Mon, Oct 24 2022, 4:22 pm
How pervasive are the noises? The fact is, many children with vocal tics cannot be expected to have no tics.

I would strongly suggest looking into advice on broader professional teacher forums.

My son had verbal tics, etc. and is mildly on the spectrum, but not enough for an IEP or services.

When I got him into another (mainstream) school but one that had teachers who had stronger training in classroom management, it was just really a non issue. Combining that with him getting a little older/more mature, I literally never had an issue with his behavior ever again and he's always described as a joy to have in class--because this molehill isn't made into a mountain.

amother
OP

Post Tue, Oct 25 2022, 1:14 am
I don't have a lot of experience with tics, but I really don't think that's the problem. these noises only happen in the classroom when I'm talking. If we're playing a game in class, or are out of class- I never see him do it.
In terms of toys- I can try the velcro/ toy thing but I usually let him do whatever he wants with his hands (coloring/doodling etc.) and it's the noises, not the movement, that are bothering me. I let him take breaks from class but I haven't seen them help at all.

amother
OP

Post Tue, Oct 25 2022, 1:19 am
amother Eggshell wrote:
When I got him into another (mainstream) school but one that had teachers who had stronger training in classroom management, it was just really a non issue. Combining that with him getting a little older/more mature, I literally never had an issue with his behavior ever again and he's always described as a joy to have in class--because this molehill isn't made into a mountain.

In general I do think I have good classroom management skills...
This isn't a molehill made into a mountain. This is closer to a mountain. They are very disturbing and his classmates notice and get annoyed (he's a new student and I feel so bad for him! This can't be helping). I have another student on the spectrum and while he does have outbursts, they are mild and I don't mind them at all. This student that I'm talking about is very disruptive on a consistent basis.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics