Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Shopping
What does a store closing time mean to you?
Previous  1  2

amother
Yolk

Post Fri, Oct 28 2022, 5:59 pm
It all depends on store policy and what type of store
For example by me
Publix and Walmart (not sure about Target and Winn Dixie) closes at 11
You can come in at 11 and do your big shopping. You can stay as long as you want because there are workers there 24 hrs a day
They may close some lanes to wash and polish the floors, but as soon as they are dry they re- open them

Marshall’s and similar stores close at 11 or 12
Dressing rooms close 30 min. before
There is no more browsing at closing time
You must be at the register waiting to check out
If you come into the store they let you know that you only have 10 minutes to make your selections and to go straight to the register

Frum stores(any type) since they NEED all the business they can get they close when ever the last customer wants to leave or closing time, which ever comes LAST. Except Fridays for obvious reasons.

It depends on store policy
I don’t consider it inappropriate to come in at the last minute, if the store allows it.
It is inappropriate to get upset over the way the owner/manager wants to run their store
Employees should find out what the boss expects from them, even if it means overtime.
If that’s what’s expected and the person cannot fulfil those requirements the job is not for them

amother
Cognac

Post Sat, Oct 29 2022, 1:21 pm
I think this is culture/community specific.

In England where I grew up, store closing time meant real closing time - in shopping malls and retail stores they don't allow new people into the stores passed ten minutes before closing.

Here in Israel closing time generally means that you can enter the store until then and continue shopping for a short (or not so short) while after that.

DrMom

Post Sat, Oct 29 2022, 1:30 pm
To me it means that people who are on line by 6pm get to check out, and no new customers are let in.

I don't see why a store that closes at 6pm would not let in a customer at 5:58. Maybe I know exactly what I want and can grab it and be on line in 20 seconds.

amother
Mistyrose

Post Sat, Oct 29 2022, 2:17 pm
I have a business which closes at 5. My employee has a ride which comes exactly at 5. People often call and ask if she can just wait an extra minute or two and the answer is no, you might need the favor once a year but nearly every day someone is asking for the same favor so that would mean she'd be staying late nearly every day.
There big supermarket where I live allows people to come til exactly closing time, so yes they don't expect to close on time. They keep a few registers open past closing time. So if you've done a big shop and finish at before closing time you could still wait on line another 20 minutes to pay..
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics