Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Teenagers and Older children
Age for Make-up and Eyebrow tweezing
1  2  3  4  Next

Motek

Post Thu, Oct 06 2005, 5:09 pm
Have you noticed how younger and younger girls are plucking their eyebrows? What is the purpose in a 9th grader doing this? If this is about proper grooming, then why wait until age 13 and 9th grade? Why not teach it to 8 year olds?

What do you think the purpose is and what age do you think is appropriate for a girl to wear make up on a regular basis (not for a special occasion) and to pluck her eyebrows?

daisy

Post Thu, Oct 06 2005, 5:31 pm
I think eyebrow plucking must be an "in thing" these days. That was one common denominator I noticed when looking at the latest high school yearbook - everyone had very obviously plucked eyebrows. I guess it's one of those fashion things that filters down to younger girls. In my day, it was more those stray hairs in the middle or beneath (I used to be squeamish about eyebrows, but recently noticed they could use some help).

As far as makeup, girls in my class were wearing it regularly quite young - maybe 9th grade or so (don't remember exactly), so I don't think that has really changed. I wasn't allowed to, nor was I really interested, so it wasn't a big issue. Nowadays, I still don't wear a lot and mostly do it for special occasions. Makeup does make one feel good about oneself and I think that 'should' be the purpose, and therefore light makeup could be appropriate for a special occasion, but I don't think it's appropriate for school or everyday use.

I will admit that I have occasionally put a dab of lip gloss, or some other benign makeup on my little girl if it's a special occasion or before a shabbos or yomtov. It makes her feel special and it's not gaudy at all (or really even that obvious). It doesn't have to be one of those all good or all bad things.

Motek

Post Thu, Oct 06 2005, 5:50 pm
ah, but the high school yearbook is in 12th grade when girls are 17-18!

9th graders?????

Tefila

Post Thu, Oct 06 2005, 5:56 pm
Eyebrow tweezing and shaving whats wrong at 12yrs on Confused
Make-up not until one is shidduch age imo Exclamation

Rivk

Post Thu, Oct 06 2005, 6:01 pm
I think "out of towners" start wearing makeup at an earlier age than their New York or East Coast counterparts. No idea why - just something I've noticed.

basmalkah

Post Thu, Oct 06 2005, 6:02 pm
Heard this from an expert:
It's not the best idea to pluck eyebrows because it takes away from the natural shape of the eyebrows!
Unless, of course someone has an excessive amount of hair - it should be done professionally.
And - 12 year olds are a bit too young for that.

amother

Post Thu, Oct 06 2005, 7:58 pm
I dont think it has to do w/ age, I use to sneak my mothers tweezer when I was 12 bc I had eyebrows that went straight across.

Motek

Post Thu, Oct 06 2005, 9:10 pm
freilich wrote:
Eyebrow tweezing and shaving whats wrong at 12yrs on Confused
Make-up not until one is shidduch age imo Exclamation

why are you differentiating between tweezing/shaving and make-up? why not all of it when one is shidduch age?

Tefila

Post Thu, Oct 06 2005, 9:54 pm
B/c one is about changing w/h hormones and feeling grown up thats why the shaving etc and yes good hygeine and ones about being attractive to others aswell as u'rself Tongue Out

Motek

Post Thu, Oct 06 2005, 10:05 pm
so you think that if a girl gets her period at age 9-10 that's a good age to start shaving her legs and tweezing her eyebrows?

Tefila

Post Thu, Oct 06 2005, 10:19 pm
I said 12 yr and on when halachically she b/comes a lady.
So now don't u put words into my mouth I have enough of them already Twisted Evil

Motek

Post Thu, Oct 06 2005, 10:52 pm
you SAID about changing hormones! watch out freilich, I actually read what you write (sometimes)!

gryp

Post Thu, Oct 06 2005, 10:57 pm
Quote:
So now don't u put words into my mouth I have enough of them already

freilich, thats a great line Smile
I hope you dont mind if I use it sometimes. Very Happy

I dont think there is one specific age for everyone. I think when a girl needs to shave/tweeze/etc., she should start.

Motek

Post Thu, Oct 06 2005, 11:05 pm
needs to? please explain

ElTam

Post Thu, Oct 06 2005, 11:09 pm
Here's an out of towner: I never see the high school girls wear makeup unless its at a chassunah. I OCCASIONALLY see a seminary girl wearing makeup on Shabbos.

shaina punim

Post Thu, Oct 06 2005, 11:11 pm
12 years old is a good age to start doing eyebrows or do it when the kids in there class start, its importent to look put togther.If a girl doesnt take care of here self then she will be made fun of.when I was in school we started shaving in 4th and some girls in 5th grade.Makeup u should start wearing around 17 . teenagers like to look put togther if ur friends r doing it then u have to or u will look like a rag. I started wearing makeup in 5th grade .theres nothing wrong with puting on lip gloss or mascara. it just enhances ur beauty.

motheroftwo

Post Thu, Oct 06 2005, 11:15 pm
I don't think one has to generalize on age. If a girl at 11 or 12 has terribly hairy legs then maybe she should shave if it makes her feel uncomfortable. Another girl at that age may not have hair on her legs yet. Same with eyebrows (if its more a unibrow) Makeup I think could wait till later (17 perhaps)

Tefila

Post Thu, Oct 06 2005, 11:19 pm
Quote:
you SAID about changing hormones! watch out freilich, I actually read what you write

Yep so I did but it's a womens perogative 2 change her mind Tongue Out besides what can I do if I'm not as eloquent as u. What
Anyways u should've known in u'r wisdom when I said hormones, and growing up, and age 12 what I was insinuating Smile

Motek

Post Thu, Oct 06 2005, 11:28 pm
next you'll say I should read your mind! Wink

lucky

Post Fri, Oct 07 2005, 10:21 am
There can be no blanket rule since everyone develops differently. I never needed to shave or wax or tweeze, since I was very blond, and barely had hair. I also didn't really need make-up since I had a clear complexion. My older sister, was dark and was tweezing by the time she reached high school.
It also a difference to wht extent you go. It is alright for a gorl to tweeze her eyebrows so they don't look like bushy unibrows.I feel a 13 yr old is too young for very arched (unnatural looking) eyebrows.
Waxing/shaving the legs is also recommended for kids who are dark haired, and feel uncomfortable about it. (why should a kid not go swimmong summer because she does not want any one to see her feet)
Make-up for weddings is usually acceptable especially if it is needeed to cover acne... or at least to draw attention away from all those pimples.

IMO remember you are dealing with weight concious, acne prone, teens that are under a lot of peer pressure, if doing the above, to a certain extent makes them feel better, Let them do it. It is always better than realizing that they are doing it behind your back anyway. Sad
Page 1 of 4 1  2  3  4  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> Teenagers and Older children