Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children
Do you wait with your kids for the bus to school?
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Mon, Nov 14 2022, 10:44 pm
We recently moved to a new neighborhood and we have school buses picking up the kids instead of carpooling (Yay!). My daughter is 5, and there are a few other kids her age who wait at the same bus stop in front of the building. I’m usually the only one who waits for my daughter’s bus, both when she leaves and when she comes home.

Do most people do this? From what age?

amother
Lawngreen

Post Mon, Nov 14 2022, 10:46 pm
after a while maybe but at such a young age unless she is waiting with a older sister I think most people wait with a parent...

amother
OP

Post Mon, Nov 14 2022, 10:47 pm
amother Lawngreen wrote:
after a while maybe but at such a young age unless she is waiting with a older sister I think most people wait with a parent...

At what age would you stop? I feel like my daughter is still so little.

amother
Bone

Post Mon, Nov 14 2022, 10:47 pm
Of course I wait. Ds is in 6 grade and I till wait with him. I think it’s to nice to be able to spend few minutes b4 school and give home some positivity. He’s my mile child I have high school and preschool as well. I wait with the elementary kids. But hang in kitchen with high school girls earlier on the morning when they’re prepping food for the day.

amother
Acacia

Post Mon, Nov 14 2022, 10:48 pm
Oh my gosh! I do not go out to the bus w my kiddos and I feel guilty (and judged by the other moms) about it
Maybe add a poll?

amother
DarkGreen

At that age I would still wait. There's no hard and fast rule for when you don't have to anymore. You'll probably see it happening organically as she gets older.

amother
Seashell

I definitely waited with children that young.

My girls are now in 4th and 5th grade and the bus stop is on our block. They go and come home themselves.

amother
Denim

My daughter is in 6th grade corner stop and yes I walk her every morning to the bus . And wait. And yes there r other kids going on at that stop.

amother
Lawngreen

amother OP wrote:
agree totally unless there is a older girl a neighbor that would wait for her I think I would go out 99.9% of the time

mommy3b2c

People leave their five year olds alone at the corner ? The things I read on imamother…

amother
Seashell

Post Mon, Nov 14 2022, 10:50 pm
amother OP wrote:

If no older sibling, I would probably wait through 2 grade or so. How far is this from your home?

effess

Post Mon, Nov 14 2022, 10:50 pm
I’d wait.
If there’s a neighbor you know personally, an older girl who will take responsibility, I’d ask her.
But I’d first get my daughter used to the driver, the safety etc. only after that, leave her with an older kid you can trust.
If I was your neighbor, you can ask my 10 year old, she would not let you down.

amother
Snowdrop

Post Mon, Nov 14 2022, 10:53 pm
5 is young to allow him or her to go alone, but with a responsible older sibling or neighbor, I might allow it. It also depends how far the bus stop is. I am lucky that I can see the bus stop from my window so I allowed my kids to wait there starting in first grade while I kept an eye on them from the window.

amother
Topaz

Post Mon, Nov 14 2022, 10:53 pm
It prob depends where u live. With a newborn I can’t go out every morning I wait by the window/front porch...

amother
Outerspace

Post Mon, Nov 14 2022, 10:55 pm
I only stopped at 8/9 when I felt the kid was mature enough. 5 is really young to wait alone. They see you there so they let you watch all the kids. I find that people depend on that one reliable parent.

amother
Olive

Post Mon, Nov 14 2022, 11:17 pm
I wait in the morning with my 7 and 9 year old. They walk home from the corner themselves (I live 3 houses from the corner, quiet street with sidewalks)

amother
Slategray

Post Mon, Nov 14 2022, 11:27 pm
I still wait with my 11 year old. They go early morning, I need to know that they got on the bus. Most of my neighbors still wait with their older kids. A 5 year old is absolutely to young to wait for the bus by themselves.

mha3484

Post Mon, Nov 14 2022, 11:30 pm
I wait with my just turned 6 and 8 year olds. Last year I had a 1st and 5th grader and they waited together without me. The beginning of this year he waited with the two younger boys now that he started minyan, I wait outside.

In the spring when they are 6.5 and 8.5 I may consider letting them go without me but not thinking about it until after pesach.

amother
Caramel

Post Mon, Nov 14 2022, 11:38 pm
It depends.

Where I live, preschool buses pick up door to door and they only start having bus stops in elementary school. So there's no waiting at a bus stop for a 5 year old. They just wait right by the door and go out when the bus comes. When my oldest was in first grade, her morning bus stop was diagonally across the street from our house but too far to be seen. I walked her to the bus stop every morning and waited with her there until mid year when the very nice bus driver noticed that I was heavily pregnant and offered to pick her up at our house since the bus was going right past us anyway. Then DD could wait right by the door and run out when she saw the bus coming down the block.

Last year, my first grader was taken to the bus stop by an older sibling who was in eighth grade so I didn't feel like I had to go too. Now that older child is in high school and on a different schedule so I do my best to walk my second grader to the bus stop. Sometimes my youngest is still sleeping though and I let my second grader go on his own. The bus stop is just a couple of houses away with no streets to cross and at least 2 other families who wait there too. Plus now there are bus chats so I know when the bus is coming and only send him out a couple of minutes ahead so he's not waiting forever.

amother
Babypink

Post Mon, Nov 14 2022, 11:40 pm
I don't go.
My 5yo waits with 11yo sibling+about five more kids ranging from 1-6 grade.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> School age children