Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Vacation and Traveling
Flying with formula for tube feeding- do I need a letter

amother
OP

Post Mon, Dec 05 2022, 2:14 am
From GI or pediatrician as proof to have an easier time getting through security?
Tia!

amother
Skyblue

Post Mon, Dec 05 2022, 2:36 am
Can't hurt to have the letter. It is all up to TSA agents on duty that day. I never flew with liquid formula or had tube feedings but flew with baby food that is considered liquid. They just swabbed the outside to make sure no chemical/explosive residue.
Technically baby food/medically needed liquids should not cause an issue in quantities needed for the flight. But one never knows with the TSA. So I would get a letter on letterhead.
Good luck!

amother
Pansy

Post Mon, Dec 05 2022, 6:16 am
amother OP wrote:
From GI or pediatrician as proof to have an easier time getting through security?
Tia!

Yes we got stopped and they told me to feed the baby the formula because we had such big amounts they didn’t believe me. Bh we had a note because obviously not going to feed it to a baby who can’t swallow.

SwissAlps

Post Mon, Dec 05 2022, 6:48 am
I have gone passed security with large water bottles before when traveling with a baby and never had an issue taking it passed. They just tested the liquid. I was once even asked if I have anything when traveling with a two year old and was told that I can bring for that age as well. I never tried it though when not traveling with a lap baby.

SwissAlps

Post Mon, Dec 05 2022, 6:51 am
SwissAlps wrote:
I have gone passed security with large water bottles before when traveling with a baby and never had an issue taking it passed. They just tested the liquid. I was once even asked if I have anything when traveling with a two year old and was told that I can bring for that age as well. I never tried it though when not traveling with a lap baby.

I know this is not exactly the same scenario, but I can't imagine them not allowing it if they allowed me to take water that was obviously more than my baby would use on the flight.

happyone

Post Mon, Dec 05 2022, 9:07 am
Yes. Please have a letter. It's on the TSA officer of the moment to give you a hard time or not. Hatzlocha!

amother
Jetblack

Post Mon, Dec 05 2022, 10:19 am
Contact TSA CARES 3 days before traveling and explain the situation. They help for people with special circumstances such as medical conditions and disabilities. They'll walk you through the procedure and earmark it in the computer.

All medicines, formulas should have the original prescription labels. You should have a letter from the Dr.

Also, if you travel frequently, you can get a TSA card that is good for a few years

amother
Brickred

Post Mon, Dec 05 2022, 10:23 am
SwissAlps wrote:
I know this is not exactly the same scenario, but I can't imagine them not allowing it if they allowed me to take water that was obviously more than my baby would use on the flight.

You being able to bring water, doesn't mean anything. It's up to the individual agent. I was never able to take water through security.

amother
Ebony

Post Mon, Dec 05 2022, 10:37 am
SwissAlps wrote:

That's been my experience on most flight but last time I flew they only allowed me to keep a 'reasonable amount for the length of my flight' and they also didn't like that I brought the baby yogurt. It was fine for me because we didn't have any medical concerns I could always buy more water in the airport but I would definitely get a note if I had a true need.

SwissAlps

Post Mon, Dec 05 2022, 12:44 pm
amother Brickred wrote:
You being able to bring water, doesn't mean anything. It's up to the individual agent. I was never able to take water through security.

I guess anything is possible. I have flown many times though without any issues. Maybe I just got lucky. What

amother
OP

Post Tue, Dec 06 2022, 8:59 am
amother Jetblack wrote:
Contact TSA CARES 3 days before traveling and explain the situation. They help for people with special circumstances such as medical conditions and disabilities. They'll walk you through the procedure and earmark it in the computer.

All medicines, formulas should have the original prescription labels. You should have a letter from the Dr.

Also, if you travel frequently, you can get a TSA card that is good for a few years

Thanks everyone!
My child is flying with Ohr Meir so nurse will have all the meds. She just wasn’t sure if they’ll be ok with the formula and pedialyte.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics