Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Our Challenging Children (gifted, ADHD, sensitive, defiant)
Concerta working great but causing insomnia

amother
OP

Post Wed, Dec 07 2022, 5:25 pm
After many frustrating different drugs and dosage trials we found that Concerta 36 mg er with Clonidine/guaficine at night is working great. Problem is my dd can’t fall asleep! She was up past midnight last night! (She’s only 7) help!! Any ideas how to help her fall asleep?

bcb

Post Wed, Dec 07 2022, 6:10 pm
Maybe she has to take it earlier in the morning?

amother
Amaryllis

Post Wed, Dec 07 2022, 6:16 pm
amother OP wrote:
After many frustrating different drugs and dosage trials we found that Concerta 36 mg er with Clonidine/guaficine at night is working great. Problem is my dd can’t fall asleep! She was up past midnight last night! (She’s only 7) help!! Any ideas how to help her fall asleep?

My 6 1/2 yr old son is on Vyvanse and I have the same issue! I give him melatonin and he falls asleep super late!

bwaybabe85

Post Wed, Dec 07 2022, 7:02 pm
Melatonin

amother
Viola

Post Wed, Dec 07 2022, 7:18 pm
Is the child taking it first thing in the morning? If not, they need to. It wears off after 10-12 hours(according to my doc but im on it, and feel it happening for years). It actually helps me sleep because of the kind of "come down" effect when it wears off but it needs to be taken at the right time. Otherwise maybe look into other sources of insomnia(looking at devices before bed, books, etc. Proper sleep hygiene is critical for ADD/ADHD).

amother
Viola

Post Wed, Dec 07 2022, 7:19 pm
Wait I just reread, taking Concerta AT NIGHT? Of course they can't sleep! Who suggested that? It doesn't work at night.

amother
Yarrow

Post Wed, Dec 07 2022, 7:23 pm
amother Viola wrote:
Wait I just reread, taking Concerta AT NIGHT? Of course they can't sleep! Who suggested that? It doesn't work at night.

I'm guessing it's only the Clonidine/guaficine at night.

fiji

Post Wed, Dec 07 2022, 8:23 pm
Op here. We do Clonidine/ guaf at night and concerta first thing in the morning. We give 3 mg melatonin but it hasn’t been helping.

amother
Razzmatazz

Post Wed, Dec 07 2022, 10:42 pm
Insomnia is another symptom of her adhd. It has been years we are dealing with this with no end in sight.
It shoukdnt be caused by the concerta unless the dosage is too high (36 mg does sound a lot for a 7 yo, but I am no professional). I would consult with psyhcatrist, maybe she still needs some med adjustments.

amother
DarkPurple

Post Wed, Dec 07 2022, 11:42 pm
My DD is 9 and is on the same dose. We have the same problem. I’m giving her 3 mg of melatonin which kind of helps somewhat. I also let her read, color, etc. as long as she’s in bed. Helps her calm down.

amother
Red

Post Wed, Dec 07 2022, 11:54 pm
I wake my son at 6 to swallow the concerta and he goes back to sleep. (this might not work for all kids but it's worth a try.)
The neurologist at the sleep clinic at Hadassa Ein Kerem says that melatonin for ADHD needs to be given like this: An hour before ideal bedtime, give 0.5mg, then give 0.5mg every twenty minutes until the child starts to visibly slow down, when you see that give 1mg and put them into bed with no distractions. No book, no music, if they are sensory give a massage and tuck them in tight. Since we started doing this, he falls asleep at 9 - 9:30, it is still on the later side but doable. He was awake with melatonin until 2 or 3am before this.

amother
Apple

Post Wed, Dec 07 2022, 11:56 pm
amother Razzmatazz wrote:
Insomnia is another symptom of her adhd. It has been years we are dealing with this with no end in sight.
It shoukdnt be caused by the concerta unless the dosage is too high (36 mg does sound a lot for a 7 yo, but I am no professional). I would consult with psyhcatrist, maybe she still needs some med adjustments.

There are definitely people for whom the side effects of the meds last much longer than the desired ones, and keeping them awake is a real part of it. You can definitely try others. Another thing people do is not use a time release, and give meds throughout the day.

amother
Canary

Post Thu, Dec 08 2022, 12:02 am
We had very similar with my son. Different morning medication, but similar issues. We now do clonodine at night along with extended release melatonin. Now it’s a lot better.

ETA: also, completely dark room with absolutely nothing there other than clothes.

amother
Yarrow

Post Thu, Dec 08 2022, 6:32 am
Try magnesium in addition to the melatonin 30 min to han hour before bedtime.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> Our Challenging Children (gifted, ADHD, sensitive, defiant)