Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Judaism
Tanya ch. 35 the "serpent's skin" - what is it?

Shefa

Post Sun, Dec 11 2022, 10:20 am
I'm having trouble getting clarity about what the serpent's skin is that is mentioned in the Tanya ch. 35. Really it's mentioned in multiple places in Tanya as well as in the Zohar.

The Zohar seems to be saying that it is the body. It's called a skin because it enclothes the soul.

The Tanya itself, as I read it, seems to be saying that it is the klipa of the animal soul. (I think it's saying that...?) in ch. 35

Commentaries that I read on Chabad.org say various things like...
- it's the ego.
-it's not the body. The body is neutral and whichever soul over powers the other one, either the G-dly soul or the animal soul, that's the direction the body goes in. So the serpent's skin is the animal soul enclothed within the body.
-One Rabbi on Chabad.org said the serpent's skin is the body. He was teaching Tanya ch. 45 and 47.

What do you say?

mitzva

Post Sun, Dec 11 2022, 10:22 am
Shefa wrote:
I'm having trouble getting clarity about what the serpent's skin is that is mentioned in the Tanya ch. 35. Really it's mentioned in multiple places in Tanya as well as in the Zohar.

The Zohar seems to be saying that it is the body. It's called a skin because it enclothes the soul.

The Tanya itself, as I read it, seems to be saying that it is the klipa of the animal soul. (I think it's saying that...?) in ch. 35

Commentaries that I read on Chabad.org say various things like...
- it's the ego.
-it's not the body. The body is neutral and whichever soul over powers the other one, either the G-dly soul or the animal soul, that's the direction the body goes in. So the serpent's skin is the animal soul enclothed within the body.
-One Rabbi on Chabad.org said the serpent's skin is the body. He was teaching Tanya ch. 45 and 47.

What do you say?

cant wait to hear an answer.
keep such threads coming.
(I would love to discuss the lates Tanya)
as a side, can you explain why Dovid was punished for saying Hashems mitzvos are songs?
I read commentaries about it but my mind doesnt want to grasp it.
thanks in advanc.

Shefa

Post Sun, Dec 11 2022, 10:35 am
I think I remember hearing something to the effect that a song in essence is limited to be an expression of a human emotion - finite. A mitzvah, by contrast, is an act that actualizes HaSh-m's presence in the world, through fulfilling His will. HaSh-m and the mitzvah performer become one and thereby create a dwelling place for HaSh-m in this world. It's the fulfillment of the purpose of creation. We're talking A BIG DEAL here. Dovid HaMelech, on his level, should have given proper honor to the mitzvahs instead of comparing them to a little ditty that a human can produce. He knew the true worth of a mitzvah. So he was punished for the comparison.

For the rest of us, who don't fully comprehend what a mitzvah is, we are not punished for comparing.
Even if we understand the concept of what a mitzvah is... I should speak for myself... I don't experience the truth of it's essence/worth/Reality. So for those of us who are regular people, every little ditty that we compare the mitzvahs to is considered by HaSh-m to be a compliment. It is precious and glorified by HaSh-m. For us to compare the mitzvah's to a song, would bring great joy to HaSh-m. He wants anything we'll give Him.

That's kind of what I remember from the shiur I heard.

It's neat that you asked this question because the way we rectify the serpent's skin is through mitzvah performance. Through physically doing mitzvoth with our bodies we draw down upon ourselves the Divine presence. This reveals that the serpent's skin was really always part of HaSh-m in the first place. Each mitzvah we do reveals it a little more.

The full revelation of the true essence of the serpent's skin will be revealed in zman hageulah.

mitzva

Post Sun, Dec 11 2022, 11:06 am
Shefa wrote:
I think I remember hearing something to the effect that a song in essence is limited to be an expression of a human emotion - finite. A mitzvah, by contrast, is an act that actualizes HaSh-m's presence in the world, through fulfilling His will. HaSh-m and the mitzvah performer become one and thereby create a dwelling place for HaSh-m in this world. It's the fulfillment of the purpose of creation. We're talking A BIG DEAL here. Dovid HaMelech, on his level, should have given proper honor to the mitzvahs instead of comparing them to a little ditty that a human can produce. He knew the true worth of a mitzvah. So he was punished for the comparison.

For the rest of us, who don't fully comprehend what a mitzvah is, we are not punished for comparing.
Even if we understand the concept of what a mitzvah is... I should speak for myself... I don't experience the truth of it's essence/worth/Reality. So for those of us who are regular people, every little ditty that we compare the mitzvahs to is considered by HaSh-m to be a compliment. It is precious and glorified by HaSh-m. For us to compare the mitzvah's to a song, would bring great joy to HaSh-m. He wants anything we'll give Him.

That's kind of what I remember from the shiur I heard.

It's neat that you asked this question because the way we rectify the serpent's skin is through mitzvah performance. Through physically doing mitzvoth with our bodies we draw down upon ourselves the Divine presence. This reveals that the serpent's skin was really always part of HaSh-m in the first place. Each mitzvah we do reveals it a little more.

The full revelation of the true essence of the serpent's skin will be revealed in zman hageulah.

thank you, shefa.

mitzva

Post Sun, Dec 11 2022, 11:10 am
Shefa, can you link a yad kislev shiur via zoom for women?
Last night there was a farbreng in bp and I am sorry to have missed it.
thank you so much.

BH Yom Yom

Post Sun, Dec 11 2022, 11:14 am
IIRC (been many years!) a teacher of mine explained that Dovid Hamelech called Torah zmiros as a reference to the immense subline simcha Torah brings - but klal yisroel heard “zmiros = fun!” and took it to mean that the Torah is kal. So he was held accountable because he didn’t phrase it in a way that the people could interpret correctly.

Could be misremembering though.

8x

Post Sun, Dec 11 2022, 11:17 am
Can you bring the full quote for context? (I skimmed the perek but I'm not seeing it.)

8x

Post Sun, Dec 11 2022, 11:36 am
I found this, for context, in other perakim:
1)

2)

3)

4)

GetReal

Post Sun, Dec 11 2022, 12:06 pm
In perek 47 the Alter Rebbe says the serpents skin is the body.

Thisisnotmyreal

Post Sun, Dec 11 2022, 12:41 pm
OMG!! Thanks for this thread I've been so confused about this Techiyas hameisim piece I read recently and this is really helpful. I'm going to do some research now. Yay

Thisisnotmyreal

Post Sun, Dec 11 2022, 12:42 pm
mitzva wrote:
cant wait to hear an answer.
keep such threads coming.
(I would love to discuss the lates Tanya)
as a side, can you explain why Dovid was punished for saying Hashems mitzvos are songs?
thanks in advanc.

This is latest Tanya

yehupitz

Post Sun, Dec 11 2022, 1:16 pm
[quote="
thanks in advanc.[/quote]

The Tzemach Tzedek explains this in derech mitzvosecha, the mitzvah of carrying the Aron

Shefa

Post Sun, Dec 11 2022, 2:19 pm
8x wrote:
I found this, for context, in other perakim:
1)

2)

3)

4)

Anyone have access to sefer hachakirah pg. 136 in English?

mitzva

Post Sun, Dec 11 2022, 9:36 pm
yehupitz wrote:
[quote="
thanks in advanc.

The Tzemach Tzedek explains this in derech mitzvosecha, the mitzvah of carrying the Aron[/quote]
would you know if much of derech mitzvosecha is available in English?

Thisisnotmyreal

Post Sun, Dec 11 2022, 10:22 pm
mitzva wrote:
would you know if much of derech mitzvosecha is available in English?

I don't think this specific Mitzva is translated. Sichos in English has very few available.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics