Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Pregnancy & Childbirth -> Baby Names
Twins nicknames cute and work or way ridiculous
1  2  3  Next

amother
OP

Post Mon, Dec 19 2022, 1:36 pm
If you met or heard of twins with the nicknames Mellie (boy) and Malli (for Malia/Malya) what would your reaction be? I personally think its to much but dh thinks its "cute".

Backstory
DH and I are expecting b/g twins due any day. I lost an immediate family member 3 years ago and we want to name after them but are stuck as to a nickname and what to do. If we don't use my family members name/nickname, I know my mom would be mortified and hurt but never say anything to us and she'd respect it and she would call the baby whatever we asked her to call him. The nickname that we can think of that works for that name is Mellie, the kiddo will have 3 names at this point cause dh lost his grandfather 5 years ago and wants to have that name, plus my grandfathers name who I want to use.

The third name will probably be Aharon and could technically be Ari, Arik, Ari'kle (also my family members second name could translate to Aryeh but it wasnt their actual name or what they went by)

Malia/Malya came about from the pasuk U'mal Hashem... the meaning behind it according to the Ramban to me has more of a connection to the attributes of my immediate family member that passed and it came about in an effort to respect DH desire to name for his grandfather and me finding a solution in a female version for my family but, but both DH and I have really grown to love it (plus DH has reiterated he really doesnt need to call the baby after his GF just wants the name to be in there), so while I would totally go for Mellie for my family member, I'm mostly okay respecting that person with the name Malia.

We are actually really unsure what to do at this point. Just do Mellie and Malia/Malli/Malya or come up with a different nickname for baby boy/use Aryeh and a nickname from there.

amother
Aquamarine

Post Mon, Dec 19 2022, 1:38 pm
amother OP wrote:
If you met or heard of twins with the nicknames Mellie (boy) and Malli (for Malia/Malya) what would your reaction be? I personally think its to much but dh thinks its "cute".

Backstory
DH and I are expecting b/g twins due any day. I lost an immediate family member 3 years ago and we want to name after them but are stuck as to a nickname and what to do. If we don't use my family members name/nickname, I know my mom would be mortified and hurt but never say anything to us and she'd respect it and she would call the baby whatever we asked her to call him. The nickname that we can think of that works for that name is Mellie, the kiddo will have 3 names at this point cause dh lost his grandfather 5 years ago and wants to have that name, plus my grandfathers name who I want to use.

If we use a nickname from DH grandfather (Rivi, which neither of us love) we know without a shadow of a doubt my MIL is going to make it all about her and never stop saying things like "he is named after my father" "did you hear my son had a baby and named him for my father" and completely disregard my side in an intentional obnoxious way, and even if we said something she wouldn't stop. She is really an unhealthy controlling person and it comes out, especially at me cause I/DH are the ones that have boundaries with her and stick to them.

The third name will probably be Aharon and could technically be Ari, Arik, Ari'kle (also my family members second name could translate to Aryeh but it wasnt their actual name or what they went by)

Malia/Malya came about from the pasuk U'mal Hashem... the meaning behind it according to the Ramban to me has more of a connection to the attributes of my immediate family member that passed and it came about in an effort to respect DH desire to name for his grandfather and me finding a solution in a female version for my family but, but both DH and I have really grown to love it (plus DH has reiterated he really doesnt need to call the baby after his GF just wants the name to be in there), so while I would totally go for Mellie for my family member, I'm mostly okay respecting that person with the name Malia.

We are actually really unsure what to do at this point. Just do Mellie and Malia/Malli/Malya or come up with a different nickname for baby boy/use Aryeh and a nickname from there.

I’d roll my eyes

amother
Eggshell

Post Mon, Dec 19 2022, 1:42 pm
Please do not do Mellie and Malli.

Do you need a nickname for the boy? Why can’t you just call him by his name (assuming it is not Melvin)? Or call him Aharon?

My kids don’t go by nicknames. They go by their name.

amother
Ballota

Post Mon, Dec 19 2022, 1:48 pm
Honestly that's a bit much. It will end up being confusing and annoying.

amother
Chocolate

Post Mon, Dec 19 2022, 1:58 pm
1) Mellie/Mali is too much. Even two M names for b/g twins would be too kitchy.

2) Mellie is a weird name. I've heard of Mel for Elimelech, but Mellie is just too much, especially for a boy. Why don't you just do Mel.

3) I think the backstory w/r/t MIL isn't even necessary for the question... Two similar sounding names for twins is too cutesy. I know an Emma and Emily pair, and I think the mom made a huge mistake.

amother
OP

Post Mon, Dec 19 2022, 1:58 pm
amother Eggshell wrote:
Please do not do Mellie and Malli.

Do you need a nickname for the boy? Why can’t you just call him by his name (assuming it is not Melvin)? Or call him Aharon?

My kids don’t go by nicknames. They go by their name.

OP here: essentially we do need a nickname for him. My family members name is a very old man grown up name and neither of us sees ourselves calling a little baby/boy by that name. My husband okay calling Aharon but im not the biggest fan so will end up using a nickname, I'm struggling with hurting my family by not using and calling him by my family members name (hence putting aryeh in there), but really don't like the combo of Mellie and Mali AT ALL

Boys names options we have are: Reuven, Meilech, Aharon those three are probably a given in some order, we can add Aryeh, Chanan as a connection to my family member.
Girl is going to probably be a variation of Malya with either Levana, Tiferes, Zissel, or Tova (last two are family names wed use just to be respectful but we both agree on and love Malya)

amother
OP

Post Mon, Dec 19 2022, 2:11 pm
amother Chocolate wrote:
1) Mellie/Mali is too much. Even two M names for b/g twins would be too kitchy.

2) Mellie is a weird name. I've heard of Mel for Elimelech, but Mellie is just too much, especially for a boy. Why don't you just do Mel.

3) I think the backstory w/r/t MIL isn't even necessary for the question... Two similar sounding names for twins is too cutesy. I know an Emma and Emily pair, and I think the mom made a huge mistake.

OP:
1) I agree, I was curious as to what others think.
2) Dh actually said he couldnt do Mel, he has female co-workers with that nickname. If it was Elimelech we would just do Eli or some variation but its just Meilech.
3)put it up only so people understood that that name isnt really an option to use, unless its really the kinda thing that pregnancy hormones are exacerbating and its a "get over it situation" just use that nickname...

amother
Phlox

Post Mon, Dec 19 2022, 2:13 pm
God no

amother
Aqua

Post Mon, Dec 19 2022, 2:17 pm
Do Eli and Ellie

mommyhood

Post Mon, Dec 19 2022, 2:18 pm
I would wonder why on earth you’d choose those nicknames when you could call by the fill name ot their other beautiful names that wouldn’t be nearly as cutesy and frankly confusing since they’re so similar.

amother
Maple

Post Mon, Dec 19 2022, 2:21 pm
1.Please no literal rhyming twin names

2. Is family sure name was actually Meilich? Because that is usually a nickname for Elimelech.

Please do not use Melli as a nickname and specifically not for a boy. It sounds terrible (and no one will know what it is a nickname for).

3. Of the 3 I would use Ari as a nickname and if need to be paired with Mali, it still “goes” together but not an actually alliterative rhyme.

Bshaah tova!

amother
Eggshell

Post Mon, Dec 19 2022, 2:22 pm
It sounds like calling him Mellie is important to you and your family.

Can you save Malya for another daughter (warning, I did that and then didn’t have). Or name her Malya Tiferet … and call her Tiffy, Zessie or Tovi?

ETA. If the name is Elimelech, call him Eli and her Malli. Even though they are both li, they don’t really rhyme in a bad way

amother
Thistle

Post Mon, Dec 19 2022, 2:24 pm
Why not aryeh and malya? I personally don’t love Mellie for a boy but def not as a twin to malya.

It should be with Mazal whatever u choose!

amother
Butterscotch

Post Mon, Dec 19 2022, 2:24 pm
How about Eli and Mali?
(Elimelech)

lamplighter

Post Mon, Dec 19 2022, 2:45 pm
Mellie and mali huge no.
Mellie as a nickname for a boy also no.

What names do you want to use and we can help you find nicknames

amother
Ecru

Post Mon, Dec 19 2022, 2:47 pm
Like others have said, definitely not mellie.

amother
Aqua

Post Mon, Dec 19 2022, 2:49 pm
I think Mellie is a girls name

amother
Dustypink

Post Mon, Dec 19 2022, 4:54 pm
Just to say I know a family with twin boys and one of them is called Moshe last name Moses.....
Think before you name!

mommy3b2c

Post Mon, Dec 19 2022, 4:59 pm
amother OP wrote:
OP:
1) I agree, I was curious as to what others think.
2) Dh actually said he couldnt do Mel, he has female co-workers with that nickname. If it was Elimelech we would just do Eli or some variation but its just Meilech.
3)put it up only so people understood that that name isnt really an option to use, unless its really the kinda thing that pregnancy hormones are exacerbating and its a "get over it situation" just use that nickname...

The name of the person is just meilich ?? That’s very strange. Meilich as far as I know is a very chassidish sounding nickname for the name elimelech.

amother
DarkOrange

Post Mon, Dec 19 2022, 5:02 pm
Pregnant here with b/g twins also... so funny different people's attitudes... I'm like no similar names!

2 names that came up... (always did for us even with past babies) is a couple and I said one or the other not both!

But I still don't have any real good names for them... good thing I still have a little while longer
Page 1 of 3 1  2  3  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Pregnancy & Childbirth -> Baby Names