Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> New York related Inquiries
Quickest way to deal with landlord not providing heat?
Previous  1  2  3  4  Next

vintagebknyc

Post Mon, Dec 26 2022, 11:24 pm
amother NeonBlue wrote:
It's unfair to call 311 if the landlords are providing heat and her apartment is cold. This isn't an issue for 311, there's nothing they can do about it. This is something OP has to work out on her own.

We disagree. It's her right as a NYC tenant to get xx amount of heat and if she's doesn't feel like that's happening she should call the city to make sure.

Perhaps you want to assume something else is wrong, like she would be acting like a nuisance tenant if she called, but that is what 311 is there for. It's unfair to nobody: that's why 311 operators have a job, that's what inspectors have jobs, and as a landlord that is just a risk you take. I get it, landlords are blamed for horrible things all the time. I had some crummy landlords before I became a landlord, it's not untrue. If her landlord is doing nothing wrong nobody gets hurt.

amother
Lightcyan

Post Mon, Dec 26 2022, 11:26 pm
amother Leaf wrote:
Nobody is attacking you.
You did mention in one of your posts that the landlord is breaking the law, so wasjust saying that we cannot assume anything without knowing details. That’s it.
Calling 311 is NOT OK if the landlord is doing everything right. The OP should provide details before getting advice from people here to call 311.

If the op doesnt have access to the thermostat then you cant expect her to know if the landlord turned it on and to what degree. Op can still call 311 because her apartment is cold and she has a baby. If the landlord isnt doing anything wrong and turned the heat on then nothing will happen but only the city can check the thermostat. And city may agree to pay for new window if the apartment is too cold but the thermostat is on correctly.
You seem to be taking this personally for some reason even though this (presumably) doesnt involve you. Did you have a bad experience with the city which is causing you to be triggered by this thread?

amother
Leaf

Post Mon, Dec 26 2022, 11:27 pm
vintagebknyc wrote:
We disagree. It's her right as a NYC tenant to get xx amount of heat and if she's doesn't feel like that's happening she should call the city to make sure.

Perhaps you want to assume something else is wrong, like she would be acting like a nuisance tenant if she called, but that is what 311 is there for. It's unfair to nobody: that's why 311 operators have a job, that's what inspectors have jobs, and as a landlord that is just a risk you take. I get it, landlords are blamed for horrible things all the time. I had some crummy landlords before I became a landlord, it's not untrue. If her landlord is doing nothing wrong nobody gets hurt.

So your advice to OP is that if the temp in her apartment is under 68/62 then she can call 311. Totally agree with that. She just didn’t provide any info. I can’t imagine why she’d open this thread.

amother
Leaf

Post Mon, Dec 26 2022, 11:30 pm
amother Lightcyan wrote:
If the op doesnt have access to the thermostat then you cant expect her to know if the landlord turned it on and to what degree. Op can still call 311 because her apartment is cold and she has a baby. If the landlord isnt doing anything wrong and turned the heat on then nothing will happen but only the city can check the thermostat. And city may agree to pay for new window if the apartment is too cold but the thermostat is on correctly.
You seem to be taking this personally for some reason even though this (presumably) doesnt involve you. Did you have a bad experience with the city which is causing you to be triggered by this thread?

I’m not triggered, thank you. OP complained about her landlord without answering questions any details at all. Posters are giving her advice to call 311, immediately assuming the landlord is at fault, but she may be in the wrong here, so I’m pointing out the landlord version where many tenants blame their landlord without helping themselves, that is all.

We don’t know OPs story, and doesn’t look like we will ever find out, so good luck to everybody, stay warm and have a good night.

CPenzias

Post Mon, Dec 26 2022, 11:32 pm
amother Almond wrote:
Yeah I know that but if the landlord is jewish.... you know the rest...

And he's not worried about another Jew?! Shame on him! At this point it's a sakanah to not have heat!

CPenzias

Post Mon, Dec 26 2022, 11:34 pm
amother NeonBlue wrote:
If the apartment is not legal, you can't take legal action. If the heating system is broken, you can fix it on your own. Sometimes it's a minor issue. Not all landlords take responsibility for repairs.

If it's not legal the landlord can't take legal action either so don't pay rent till the issue is resolved. Like another poster suggested, put it into a separate account.

amother
NeonBlue

Post Mon, Dec 26 2022, 11:35 pm
vintagebknyc wrote:

But if the landlord is providing the legal temperature of steam, then calling 311 will not help, even if OP is cold. I'm making an assumption that the landlords are providing legal heating, but the apartment is still cold. My assumption is based on OP not wanting to give more details. OP got some good advice upthread on how she can check for and fix drafts. She should do that before calling 311. No need to be a difficult tenant just because.

amother
Lightcyan

Post Mon, Dec 26 2022, 11:36 pm
amother Leaf wrote:
I’m not triggered, thank you. OP complained about her landlord without answering questions any details at all. Posters are giving her advice to call 311, immediately assuming the landlord is at fault, but she may be in the wrong here, so I’m pointing out the landlord version where many tenants blame their landlord without helping themselves, that is all.

We don’t know OPs story, and doesn’t look like we will ever find out, so good luck to everybody, stay warm and have a good night.

Chaverim wrote that they gave out lots of heaters, pipes froze and broke, and people are having problems with heat in general. Its freezing cold so things can happen. Op said she doesnt want to go into details so you might want to stop trying to get her to talk. She has the right not to tell you anything and to still call 311. Again, nothing will happen if the landlord followed the laws and turned on the heat. But we are going in circles so perhaps its time to close this thread since op got her answers.

newmommy22

Post Mon, Dec 26 2022, 11:36 pm
Fyi in NJ if the AC is installed in the window and a tenant complains about heat and inspector will do nothing unless the AC is removed. Not sure what the law is in NY. Make sure everything is sealed well.

Fabulous

Post Mon, Dec 26 2022, 11:38 pm
amother Almond wrote:
Yeah I know that but if the landlord is jewish.... you know the rest...

We had this and asked a shaila. We were told to email him every day for each day that he didn’t provide hear (as a reminder and proof) and to not pay rent those days.

Rappel

Post Mon, Dec 26 2022, 11:44 pm
That's evil.

OP, you got good advice here. 311, withhold rent, and get an electric heater stat!

I hope you get warm soon!

amother
NeonBlue

Post Mon, Dec 26 2022, 11:48 pm
Rappel wrote:
That's evil.

OP, you got good advice here. 311, withhold rent, and get an electric heater stat!

I hope you get warm soon!

Nothing is evil as we don't know details.

amother
Lightcyan

Post Mon, Dec 26 2022, 11:51 pm
amother NeonBlue wrote:

Except that you know. Because you have "bad tenants" that demand you follow the laws. So now you are taking out your frustrations and hostility on op instead of just leaving the thread. I feel sorry for your tenants.

amother
NeonBlue

Post Mon, Dec 26 2022, 11:57 pm
amother Lightcyan wrote:
Except that you know. Because you have "bad tenants" that demand you follow the laws. So now you are taking out your frustrations and hostility on op instead of just leaving the thread. I feel sorry for your tenants.

What are you talking about? Where did I mention any tenants? And where am I taking out frustrations?
We live in a crappy old rental.... no tenants on the horizon anytime soon.

amother
Leaf

Post Tue, Dec 27 2022, 12:03 am
amother NeonBlue wrote:
What are you talking about? Where did I mention any tenants? And where am I taking out frustrations?
We live in a crappy old rental.... no tenants on the horizon anytime soon.

Lol. She KNOWS you have tenants. She KNOWS you don’t follows the laws but you have tenants who make you follow the laws. Wonder how she KNOWS all this.
She also KNOWS all the details from OP’s story without it being posted here.
People on Imamother can really be ridiculous and rude.

amother
NeonBlue

Post Tue, Dec 27 2022, 12:05 am
amother Leaf wrote:
Lol. She KNOWS you have tenants. She KNOWS you don’t follows the laws but you have tenants who make you follow the laws. Wonder how she KNOWS all this.
She also KNOWS all the details from OP’s story without it being posted here.
People on Imamother can really be ridiculous and rude.

Oh, it was meant to be an insult? I didn't get that....
If so, how rude. Oh my. That's just weird.

mizle10

Post Tue, Dec 27 2022, 12:13 am
We don’t even know that OP is the tenant here.

She’s talking cryptically and in 3rd person

Popcorn

amother
Ginger

Post Tue, Dec 27 2022, 12:32 am
Op, cold is not a legal term. Only temperature reading will get you anywhere with your landlord, & the legally required heating may still feel cold to you ( or most people!)

Rappel

Post Tue, Dec 27 2022, 12:49 am
amother NeonBlue wrote:

If someone doesn't have heat during a NY winter, then that is evil. I don't care whose responsibility it is.

amother
Chambray

Post Tue, Dec 27 2022, 7:43 am
amother Leaf wrote:
Nobody is attacking you.
You did mention in one of your posts that the landlord is breaking the law, so wasjust saying that we cannot assume anything without knowing details. That’s it.
Calling 311 is NOT OK if the landlord is doing everything right. The OP should provide details before getting advice from people here to call 311.
If you are doing everything right then why are you so scared of 311?
Page 3 of 4 Previous  1  2  3  4  Next Recent Topics