Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating
Which area would you live?

Which area would you live?
1. Suburbs/frum area. Long commute. Meet new people/ become part of a new community  
 67%  [ 55 ]
2. City. Double price for the sane size. Close to our friends and jobs  
 32%  [ 27 ]
Total Votes : 82

amother
OP

Post Wed, Jan 04 2023, 6:01 pm
We own two houses. One in a more suburban area, huge, pool, one level, bunch of kosher places, shuls etc; and one closer to the main city, our jobs and we like very much the shul we go to and the rabbi, but further walk. I saw a similar post about inexpensive houses outside the frum community but the expensive area for me is the non frum one. I’d probably have to get a new job if we move to the suburbs one, my husband will have a very long commute to work and we feel we are leaving our shul friends and community behind. Everything else the suburbs house would be perfect. I know everyone will have a different opinion but what would other imas do?

mha3484

Post Wed, Jan 04 2023, 6:04 pm
Are you currently renting it out or do you have use of both properties whenever you want?

amother
OP

Post Wed, Jan 04 2023, 6:08 pm
The suburbs house is rented until march. The other one we are currently living in

amother
Mint

Post Wed, Jan 04 2023, 6:10 pm
I’m a city girl. The day I move to the suburbs will be a sad one. We’re holding out longer than anyone could have imagine

Sebastian

Post Wed, Jan 04 2023, 6:11 pm
If you own in the city and your jobs are there I would stay. If youre renting its different

amother
Grape

Post Wed, Jan 04 2023, 6:13 pm
Just moved to the suburbs after living in the city my whole life. I love it. Love the slow pace and chilled life. The community is more tight nit and I have so many more friends than I did in the city. It's much more community orientated, we rely on each other more in a good way. The only negative it having to drive for work, school and shopping but we adapted quickly and at this point I can't imagine living in the city.

amother
Emerald

Post Wed, Jan 04 2023, 6:14 pm
Whichever one makes your family happier. Everyone's different.

amother
Slategray

Post Wed, Jan 04 2023, 6:37 pm
For me, friends/neighbors is a huge factor. If you’re happy with your community, I would stay. Especially if you have a long commute it’s going to be hard to have time to find friends in a new one.

amother
Yellow

Post Wed, Jan 04 2023, 7:39 pm
amother Grape wrote:
Just moved to the suburbs after living in the city my whole life. I love it. Love the slow pace and chilled life. The community is more tight nit and I have so many more friends than I did in the city. It's much more community orientated, we rely on each other more in a good way. The only negative it having to drive for work, school and shopping but we adapted quickly and at this point I can't imagine living in the city.

I have same exact situation! There are so many pluses, much bigger houses, huge yard and garden, space, pools, highway driving rather than sitting at a light every corner and so much quieter

amother
Candycane

Post Wed, Jan 04 2023, 7:42 pm
I know a few people who had a very similar situation. Ultimately, all them ended up living in the suburb and doing the commute when needed.
One of them sold their city house and order small apartment for when they would like to stay overnight over there

amother
Celeste

Post Wed, Jan 04 2023, 7:58 pm
I wouldn’t move if you don’t have a school for your kids in the suburbs. I don’t think it’s fair to make kids commute to school. Go out to your second home in the summers or on vacation.

amother
OP

Post Thu, Jan 05 2023, 9:31 am
My kids will have to commute to school in either area. The frum/suburbs house has buses for the school, the city area will be on us

amother
Hunter

Post Thu, Jan 05 2023, 9:50 am
It really depends on which stage I was in. Now in my older years without young children, and the Grandkids come every so often, I would live in a quieter area, bigger home, no need for tons of neighbors where we need to play all the time. When my kids were younger, I think it was extremely important to have friends/family nearby that we can play/have Shabbat meals together, do homework together. etc.

amother
OP

Post Thu, Jan 05 2023, 9:55 am
amother Hunter wrote:
It really depends on which stage I was in. Now in my older years without young children, and the Grandkids come every so often, I would live in a quieter area, bigger home, no need for tons of neighbors where we need to play all the time. When my kids were younger, I think it was extremely important to have friends/family nearby that we can play/have Shabbat meals together, do homework together. etc.

Nobody comes to our house on shabbos bc we are very far walk from other frum families. Same with family. We’ll be further away from family in the suburbs but very close to other frum families
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating