Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Relationships -> Guests
Tips for hosting a craft night or fundraiser

amother
OP

Post Wed, Jan 04 2023, 8:50 pm
I'm trying to put together a monthly craft night for moms in my neighborhood. I've got some good ideas but I've never done something like this outside of family or a few friends. I know there are so many talented ladies out there who run shul events, get togethers and fundraisers!
Any tips? Do I need to have food? Where do you get decorative table accessories and/or craft supplies on a budget?
I want this to feel luxe like a special evening for bonding and self care but I'm not naturally gifted with making things elegant and special.

amother
Hydrangea

Post Wed, Jan 04 2023, 8:54 pm
No advise but food is always very much appreciated. Smile

amother
OP

Post Thu, Jan 05 2023, 12:03 pm
Anyone?

amother
Ebony

Post Thu, Jan 05 2023, 12:46 pm
Coffee, tea, small cookies

amother
Turquoise

Post Thu, Jan 05 2023, 1:40 pm
I think it's great that you're organizing these events. Moms need some time away with adults and it's hard to build in the time to do it. Often, we are too guilty or strapped for time. Making it a fundraiser "legitimizes" time away from home. In terms of making things attractive or eye catching, try to cover the tables with colorful cloths. If you are working on crafts that might stain tablecloths, use disposables or look for some easily washable cloths on Amazon that come in darker colors. Food and drinks are always a good idea. People like to eat small bites and snacks. Build in a fun game that will help pull the group together (like pair people together who don't know each other well and have them guess answers about each other's favorite things). Anything that will cause a few laughs is helpful. If you have a budget for table decor, Trader Joe's has small plants or flowers for very reasonable prices. You could also put a sticker under a few of the seats and the person sitting there gets to take the plant home. You could also see if a local sheitlmacher or food place would donate a small gift card or a wash and set for a little raffle. You don't need to sell raffles, just put everyone's name in a bowl or hat and pick. As for buying supplies, if you're in the NY area, Amazing Savings is a good source. Michael's has coupons and you can also use online sites like Oriental Trading and Benny's Educational supplies. Amazon and Etsy have some crafts as well.Have fun and hope it's a success.

amother
OP

Post Thu, Jan 05 2023, 6:07 pm
Thank you for the response, that was so helpful! I love the idea of a sticker under the chair for a winner. I was thinking of doing a take home gift box but likely out of budget for each person. Doing one for a special winner to take home is more doable.

I thought about setting up a couple different samples that can all be done with the same supplies so that people have a choice. Would you like that if it was you?

I want this to be fun and relaxing. Thinking music on, shmoozing, just time to chill.
The thing is, I feel like most women are more visual and it matters if things look nice and I guess I'm insecure about my more practical laid back style.

DustyDiamonds

Post Thu, Jan 05 2023, 6:20 pm
Love your ideas!

If you decide on the type of craft you’d like to do, we can probably help more.

There are low cost crushed velvet tablecloths on Amazon in a huge variety of colors:

https://www.amazon.com/Efavorm.....ss_tl

If you’re going with burgundy tablecloths, you can use use gray or silver plates and cutlery.

You can order sushi platters and desserts and fruit platters. Or ask women if they’d want to make some of those things. If you’ll have cheesecake, let women know in advance, so they don’t arrive being fleishig! BTDT!

Good luck!

amother
Turquoise

Post Thu, Jan 05 2023, 6:47 pm
I think having two choices of crafts is a good idea. You probably don't need more and it might be hard to anticipate how many of each type to buy. One could be some sort of organizer or caddy for the kitchen or the car (if you're in a driving community). Another could be an apron or oven mitts or you could even do a challah cover.

Depending on your budget, you can look in a place like Amazing Savings for attractive but low cost decor items. For example, you can buy a mirror and serve cut up brownies and cookies on top. I like to put the brownies inside cupcake papers. You can also cover square tupperware with fabric napkins and place them upside down on your table to create some height. Use the flat surface to support your serving platters. You can buy glass cube vases and put a different type of cut up fruit in each for a colorful presentation. You could also do a milchig or pareve ice cream bar with choose your own toppings.

If you're uncertain about colors for tablecloths, try to select two solids that look nice together and get a patterned package of napkins that ties in both colors.

amother
OP

Post Thu, Jan 05 2023, 8:15 pm
Amother turquoise thanks for the specifics. That's exactly the type of setup info I'm looking for but embarrassed to ask! Sometimes I feel like everyone else knows how to do these things Smile

amother
Turquoise

Post Thu, Jan 05 2023, 10:14 pm
Happy to help. This takes some practice and experience. No reason to be embarrassed. Here's a tip: If you get a free afternoon, go to a Barnes and Noble and read a stack of their entertaining magazines and books, particularly ones with photos. You can learn a lot by looking at them. If you don't have time for that, look at some of your cookbooks for suggestions or Pinterest or entertaining/cooking websites.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics