Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Shabbos and Supper menus
Poached pears without wine

Chickensoupprof

Post Thu, Jan 05 2023, 11:17 am
Ok, I found a recipe I like because I bought special pears for cooking. But it has alcohol in it, and the Dutch authorities forbid pregnant women strictly to have any alcohol even if it's cooked and even if there is 1 cup water with the 2 cups wine. And I would feel just super guilty if I will do wine... I'm stressed about it truly. How can I substitute the wine or does anyone has a nice recipe without wine?

Last edited by Chickensoupprof on Thu, Jan 05 2023, 11:35 am; edited 1 time in total

DrMom

Post Thu, Jan 05 2023, 11:29 am
I never knew Durch women couldn't drink wine.

Can you use grape juice?

BTW, I just Google "poached pears no alcohol " and got a bunch of recipes. Did you try that?

Elfrida

Post Thu, Jan 05 2023, 11:31 am
DrMom wrote:

I think she left out the word pregnant.

Chickensoupprof

Post Thu, Jan 05 2023, 11:35 am
DrMom wrote:

Can you use grape juice?

BTW, I just Google "poached pears no alcohol " and got a bunch of recipes. Did you try that?

Oh according to the food guidelines for pregnant woman, I can't have cooked alcohol nor drink alcohol, I can't have tuna or any fish that has mercury (cod) but that is new and my cousin who is married to GP ate tuna and cod etc a lot and her kid is ok. So I still eat tuna and cod but not as much as I did before. We cannot eat smoked salmon (of course), only 2 cups of coffee... no raw eggs of course...It's super strict here.

Chickensoupprof

Post Thu, Jan 05 2023, 11:36 am
Elfrida wrote:
yeah I've forgotten

Bnei Berak 10

Post Thu, Jan 05 2023, 11:39 am
Alcohol disappears in process of cooking.

Chickensoupprof

Post Thu, Jan 05 2023, 11:40 am
Bnei Berak 10 wrote:
Alcohol disappears in process of cooking.
Not totally and that's why they forbid it can still be 10% of alcohol in it.

Elfrida

Post Thu, Jan 05 2023, 11:48 am
Chickensoupprof wrote:

There can, but let's try doing the maths.

Two cups of wine is 500ml. Assuming 15% alcohol, that means you are starting with 75ml of alcohol.
Now cook that down so that a maximum of 10% of the original alcohol volume is left. That's 7.5ml.
You didn't say how many servings the recipe makes, but let's assume four servings. That's slightly less than 2ml of alcohol per serving, even assuming you eat all of the sauce.

I'm a nurse, and I'm saying this under my screen name, that 2ml of alcohol eaten once in the context of a full meal, is not going to harm you or your baby.

(I've also seen plenty of pregnant women who aren't the least bit interested in logic when it comes to things like this, so feel free to ignore me and continue looking for alcohol free recipes!)

zaq

Post Thu, Jan 05 2023, 1:04 pm
I never bother cooking with wine. I poach pears in syrup with spices like cloves, cinnamon and ginger. To me cooking with wine is a waste of wine--and I don't even like wine!

mizle10

Post Thu, Jan 05 2023, 1:07 pm
Chickensoupprof wrote:

“They” can forbid whatever they like but women’s bodies are the same by you and the rest of the world. I think every doctor would be ok with small amounts of cooked alcohol.

DrMom

Post Thu, Jan 05 2023, 1:39 pm
Elfrida wrote:

Ah, got it. I thought it was some chumra. I thought, well, on the plus side, they only wait an hour between meat and milk. Win some, lose some!

WitchKitty

Post Thu, Jan 05 2023, 11:10 pm
When I asked the doctor in my first pregnancy, he said no alcohol at all. Not even a sip by kiddush.
Can't say I took him seriously, but the opinion is out there.
(Elfrida I think you know the doctor)
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Shabbos and Supper menus