Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Infants
Freezing baby food

yo'ma

Post Sun, Jun 15 2008, 3:39 pm
wasn't sure where to put this, but it's about infants.
I'm making my baby, baby food. Applesauce w/ bananas, squash, etc. I end up making too much at a time bec. he doesn't eat much and I'm not going to do 1/2 an apple. Do you think I can freeze it and do you know how long it lasts in the fridge? Thanx

NotInNJMommy

Post Sun, Jun 15 2008, 3:51 pm
It last 2-3 days in the fridge, and almost indefinately in the freezer (nutrition/taste may decrease with time, but it will not "go bad").

If you freeze either in ice cube trays or 1-2 day portions (not the whole big lot) then you just thaw what you need, when you need.

Hatzlocha!

PS: I don't know how bananas freeze. they may go brown, but that only effects looks not health/safety. I never froze banana baby food before. That and avocado I made as I needed.

yo'ma

Post Sun, Jun 15 2008, 3:54 pm
NotInNJMommy wrote:
It last 2-3 days in the fridge, and almost indefinately in the freezer (nutrition/taste may decrease with time, but it will not "go bad").

If you freeze either in ice cube trays or 1-2 day portions (not the whole big lot) then you just thaw what you need, when you need.

Hatzlocha!

PS: I don't know how bananas freeze. they may go brown, but that only effects looks not health/safety. I never froze banana baby food before. That and avocado I made as I needed.

Thanx, ice cube trays, a great idea. I'm used to buying the ready made ones.

NotInNJMommy

Post Sun, Jun 15 2008, 3:56 pm
You can empty frozen cubes into a ziploc freezer bag so you don't need tons of ice cube trays, just for what you want to freeze at that moment, and in a few hours, when frozen transfer to a bag an the trays are free for the next batch of yumminess!

yo'ma

Post Sun, Jun 15 2008, 3:58 pm
NotInNJMommy wrote:
You can empty frozen cubes into a ziploc freezer bag so you don't need tons of ice cube trays, just for what you want to freeze at that moment, and in a few hours, when frozen transfer to a bag an the trays are free for the next batch of yumminess!

yeah, I figured that part out, thanks!

granolamom

Post Sun, Jun 15 2008, 9:13 pm
ice cube trays didn't work for me, the portions were too small and it wasn't always so easy to get the food out.
I had better luck with silicone muffin pans. bigger portions and the frozen food comes out so easily.

yo'ma

Post Sun, Jun 15 2008, 9:14 pm
granolamom wrote:
ice cube trays didn't work for me, the portions were too small and it wasn't always so easy to get the food out.
I had better luck with silicone muffin pans. bigger portions and the frozen food comes out so easily.

For me, it would be perfect though because he doesn't eat much and my trays are fantastic. But when he starts eating more, thanks, I'll keep that in mind.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics