Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Health & Wellness -> Healthy Lifestyle/ Weight Loss/ Exercise
Video: Foods that kill healthy Eating

jupik

Post Sun, Jun 15 2008, 1:42 am

Link

red sea

Post Sun, Jun 15 2008, 9:24 am
jupik, do you know his name? thanks for posting, its a very good clip - well not a cliip, its an hour long.

Tamiri

Post Sun, Jun 15 2008, 11:29 am
Okay, so what's for dinner. This scared me off animal flesh leftovers, at least for tonight. I know it's true, but what the heck can you feed a family if it's not meat or dairy? And I have tried so hard over the years to incorporate vegetarian.

red sea

Post Sun, Jun 15 2008, 11:48 am
Tamiri wrote:
Okay, so what's for dinner. This scared me off animal flesh leftovers, at least for tonight. I know it's true, but what the heck can you feed a family if it's not meat or dairy? And I have tried so hard over the years to incorporate vegetarian.

I wouldnt get concerned about going extreme, just less animal and more grains, fruits & veg. You might not be able to mimick the statistics of Thailand but some other countries scored significantly better than US eating habits.

Tamiri

Post Sun, Jun 15 2008, 11:52 am
well, I am no longer is the U.S. but Israel has it's own issues: REALLY good dairy, all kosher etc. Ice cream not much of an issue cause unless I make it myself we don't usually buy, and I am too lazy to make it all that often. It's scary watching that video.

red sea

Post Sun, Jun 15 2008, 12:08 pm
The visual aids really bring the point home better than anything. I have heard R Rietti speak on the same topic based on the Rambam & other Torah sources (stating s/t like that 1 - 2 servings of animal products a week is more than enough, more is harmful). But never seen the fat and junk up close. Pictures are worth a thousand words. Just curious, have you changed from American eating habits to Israeli ones? I guess its really its own topic but Israel statistically eats way healthier than the US - did you notice Israel was on one of his charts?

Last edited by red sea on Sun, Jun 15 2008, 5:18 pm; edited 1 time in total

Tamiri

Post Sun, Jun 15 2008, 12:38 pm
Once upon a time, Israel ate much healthier than the U.S. It was so when I left here in 1987. No longer. I came back in 2003 to a new way of eating. First of all, there is far more disposable income than I saw growing up. Which means more money for junk food and restaurants, convenience foods etc. Second, with genetic engineering, even the gorgeous Israeli fruits and veggies are more plastic-ey than they were in previous years. Third, with both parents working full time, there is far less disposable time to be spent cooking up healthy veggie soups and making bunches of salads, which were the staples years ago. Fourth, chicken, turkey and beef seem much more affordable. People eat red meat here regularly (those who can afford it, of course), whereas years ago people went without it for years. It just didn't exist in the kitchen.

OTOH I am very pleased to say that there is organic available, and any kind of legume and grain and spice you could hope for. It's easy for me to find any specialty "health food" item, kosher - easier than in the U.S.

I think that people here still load up on far more produce than in the U.S. It's still tastier, better looking and cheaper than what you can get there. People LIKE their veggies!

So, tonight, I panicked. I sauteed an onion then added a yellow pepper and 2 tomatoes. I added a few chopped spinach "medalions" and then some bulghur and red lentils with boiling water. I called it pilaf and said to the family "eat"! Well, I am sure that in some places in the world that looks like dinner, but mush in a bowl doesn't quite to it here. It is absolutely delicious, and everyone but the 9yo ate but I feel funny serving that. I should get over it. Just those pictures of fatty arteries. Gag :puke

HindaRochel

Post Sun, Jun 15 2008, 5:15 pm
I"m doing some research here, but one thing he states is incorrect accorging to the latest study: steamed or boiled veggies are healthier than raw. Cooking releases the vitamins making them more readily available. I will try and find the link later, but I didn't read this, I heard it on a science podcast.

I do not think that animal products are the death sentence he claims they are. I've found a couple of criticisms of an all vegan diet, that I'll try and post later.

Veggies are healthy of course, I'm not saying they aren't, but G-d did give us these foods to eat, and in some circumstances required us to eat them. High quantities aren't good, but some, a moderate amount, may be beneficial.

Tamiri

Post Mon, Jun 16 2008, 4:10 am
Everything in moderation. I personally don't think we would have been given the laws of Shechita and the lists of kosher animals, had it been absolutely forbidden to consume them.
But, given our diet which is so heavy on proteins, I imagine there is more than a bit of truth is what he's saying.
Also, the pictures of the arteries (who knows if that's what they really were) totally grossed me out.
The lecture was certainly food for thought. Even though it's old and new studies keep shedding light on the material he spoke about.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Health & Wellness -> Healthy Lifestyle/ Weight Loss/ Exercise