Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> Reading Room
Making of a godol book

amother
OP

Post Mon, Jan 16 2023, 6:06 pm
Anyone know where I can get hold of this book? It's by Rabbi Nosson Kamenetzky

Thanks!

amother
Mintcream

Post Mon, Jan 16 2023, 6:34 pm
It's out of print, rare, and therefore very expensive (because it only had 1 printing). The few times I saw it listed online for sale, it was listed for hundreds of dollars--well over $500, closer to $1,000. So I gave up hoping to read it....

Great ma

Post Mon, Jan 16 2023, 6:36 pm
Thanks! There's another topic with info on this book. https://www.imamother.com/foru.....?f=45

Great ma

Post Mon, Jan 16 2023, 6:39 pm
amother Mintcream wrote:
It's out of print, rare, and therefore very expensive (because it only had 1 printing). The few times I saw it listed online for sale, it was listed for hundreds of dollars--well over $500, closer to $1,000. So I gave up hoping to read it....

On amazon.co.uk it's selling for £35,000!! but that's just the way of saying it's out of print without having to close the amazon listing. Amazon listings are useful and shame to close them - if a listing sold a lot of the product then it's a valuable listing. Hence the outrageous price to keep the listing open but prevent anyone from buying it. Shame Rabbi Nosson Kamatzky isn't alive anymore. I would have emailed him to thank him so much for the book. Was validating and clarifying even without having read it, just knowing it exists was so helpful for me as well as I'm sure for so many others! I'm sure he's getting great sechar for it now!

But I do want to read it now!

amother
Antiquewhite

Post Mon, Jan 16 2023, 6:46 pm
we own it and my teens are always fantasizing about selling it for a thousand dollars (because that's what it's listed as) but I can't imagine it would actually go for that amount (or anywhere near)!

amother
OP

Post Mon, Jan 16 2023, 6:56 pm
amother Antiquewhite wrote:
we own it and my teens are always fantasizing about selling it for a thousand dollars (because that's what it's listed as) but I can't imagine it would actually go for that amount (or anywhere near)!

Wow - do you live in the UK? Could I borrow it?

Maybe do try list it (once I've read it and returned it to you lol) - I wonder what it would sell for. That's if you don't mind parting from it! I'm sure someone will pay a lot for it - maybe not £35,000 but probably a few thousand. Get it valued or try listing and see what happens. Give it even a year before lowering price lol!

amother
Antiquewhite

Post Mon, Jan 16 2023, 6:58 pm
amother OP wrote:
Wow - do you live in the UK? Could I borrow it?

Maybe do try list it (once I've read it and returned it to you lol) - I wonder what it would sell for. That's if you don't mind parting from it! I'm sure someone will pay a lot for it - maybe not £35,000 but probably a few thousand. Get it valued or try listing and see what happens. Give it even a year before lowering price lol!

I live in the US. How do I get it valued?

amother
OP

Post Mon, Jan 16 2023, 7:06 pm
amother Antiquewhite wrote:
I live in the US. How do I get it valued?

I'm not sure. Google book valuing perhaps? There are Judaica valuers - google. Otherwise just try and learn through trialing.

I would think start at close to $10k but give it a long time before lowering the price. Sometimes can take a year to sell something!

amother
PlumPink

Post Mon, Jan 16 2023, 7:07 pm
DH was trying to get it for a while and was recently able to get some sort of copy online. Gotta ask him...

amother
Lemonchiffon

Post Mon, Jan 16 2023, 7:11 pm
My brother in law got it last year in Eretz Yisrael directly from the authors family.

amother
Hawthorn

Post Mon, Jan 16 2023, 7:13 pm
I think my husband sold a copy a few years back but I don't recall how much he got for it.

amother
Broom

Post Mon, Jan 16 2023, 7:25 pm
It is available at cost through Rav Nosson's almanah, Reb. Kaminetzky
She is an extraordinary woman, a daughter of the Suvalker Rav
Last I heard she was living in Har Nof
I believe I paid $120.00 for my set about a year ago

amother
Midnight

Post Mon, Jan 16 2023, 7:28 pm
whats it about?

amother
OP

Post Tue, Jan 17 2023, 3:09 am
https://go.skimresources.com/?.....B2%5D
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Hobbies, Crafts, and Collections -> Reading Room