Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Miscellaneous
Buttons on "davening jacket"

Twizzlers

Post Thu, Jun 12 2008, 8:44 pm
not sure if other jewish "groups" besides litvish/yeshivish have such a thing, but dh wears what we call a "davening jacket" its basically a blazer that he wears to shul during the week. what he does with the jacket is driving me up a wall though. since one hand has to be out of the jacket to put on tefillin, the middle button has a tremendous strain to keep the jacket closed! as a result, I am FOREVER resewing on those buttons.

does anyone else have this problem and have a solution to get those buttons to STAY PUT! I've used tons of thread and sewn in that button soooooo tight, but no matter what, at least once a month that jacket is sitting on the back of a chair waiting to be fixed yet again!

Tehilla

Post Thu, Jun 12 2008, 8:45 pm
chassidim do it too. and I don't have any solutions. the buttons are repeatedly messed up.

Chocoholic

Post Thu, Jun 12 2008, 8:46 pm
A zipper??

greenfire

Post Thu, Jun 12 2008, 8:56 pm
hey my brain is ticking Idea sew it with elastic thread somewhat loose so that it has give without the stress ... What

btMOMtoFFBs

Post Thu, Jun 12 2008, 8:59 pm
Twiz, you have solved one of my greatest mysteries in life. Is that why my husband's button is always needing to be sewn back on. He just tells me the jacket/button must be poorly made and that's why.

Green, the elastic idea is a good one. Is there such a thing as elastic that is thin enough to sew on buttons?

justanothermother

Post Thu, Jun 12 2008, 9:03 pm
try looking here

louche

Post Fri, Jun 13 2008, 8:49 am
elastic thread used for smocking can be used, but it's very hard to pull it through the fabric unless the fabric is extremely loose-woven. If you can't find elastic thread or can't handle it, make an oversize thread shank for the button. Assuming the button is flat, put a couple of wooden matches or even a chopstick across the top and stitch right over the sticks. Before finishing off, remove the sticks, and you'll have a loose loop of thread. bring the needle back up to the front of the jacket, and wind the thread around and around the thread loop, between the button and the jacket, forming a shank. Push the needle back through to the reverse side, knot and cut the thread. Voila! A long thread shank. Use "buttonhole twist" or upholstery thread for greater durability.

yo'ma

Post Fri, Jun 13 2008, 8:52 am
just a side note, if you sew it on really well and not enough room for pull, the jacket will rip.

AlwaysGrateful

Post Fri, Jun 13 2008, 10:17 am
Yes, don't sew it on so tight. My dh taught me this, believe it or not. He used to sew on his own buttons (yes, on his davening jacket) in yeshiva, and when I offered to do it after we got married, he showed me how to wrap the thread several times around between the jacket and the button (tell me if that's not clear, and I'll try to explain it better) to make sure there's enough slack that the button won't snap off.

brooklyn

Post Fri, Jun 13 2008, 10:20 am
Don't remember where I saw it but it was a jacket or sweater made just for davening with a zipper on the sleeve, when ordering you would specify right or left arm.

greenfire

Post Fri, Jun 13 2008, 10:51 am
louche to the rescue - good explanation ... Thumbs Up

Amital

Post Tue, Jun 17 2008, 3:10 pm
brooklyn wrote:
Don't remember where I saw it but it was a jacket or sweater made just for davening with a zipper on the sleeve, when ordering you would specify right or left arm.

I saw this on kosher innovations, where they have the shabbos lamp and bug checker.

Here it is!

Strawberry

Post Tue, Jun 17 2008, 3:24 pm
Hmmmm. They do fall off pretty easily. But the whole jacket gets trashed too. Dh wears it all day every day. It is very hot, he walks a lot and we don't have a/c. I never bother resewing the buttons. Once they fall off, the jacket is on its way out anyways. Now if there was a way to make those jackets last long enough to make it worth it to resew buttons...
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics