Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Shabbos, Rosh Chodesh, Fast Days, and other Days of Note
Chicken soup never tastes good and is cloudy
Previous  1  2  3  Next

amother
OP

Post Sun, Jan 22 2023, 8:09 am
Aside for the method, I also need tips of what to put in to give it a really good taste. Please.

amother
Ginger

Post Sun, Jan 22 2023, 8:10 am
Fresh parsley.

amother
Royalblue

Post Sun, Jan 22 2023, 8:21 am
amother OP wrote:
Aside for the method, I also need tips of what to put in to give it a really good taste. Please.

Sweet potato! Gives it a mildly sweet flavor.
Sometimes 2-3 bay leaves
Dill is amazing. You can leave it whole and fish it out at the end.
Sometimes I add garlic

amother
Mauve

Post Sun, Jan 22 2023, 12:46 pm
My soup is never cloudy.

I add the vegetables and chicken to the cold water, and then let it come to a boil after. Once it's come to a boil, I lower the heat and let it cook for several hours.

I use bone in skin on chicken breasts, either defrosted or still frozen.

I use zucchini, carrots, onion, garlic, sweet potato, celery and only season with salt.

doodlesmom

Post Sun, Jan 22 2023, 1:36 pm
I believe boiling the chicken first and getting rid of the water means you’re getting rid of the best flavors!
There is no reason to do that.
Just put the chicken in when the water is hot and simmer for hours.
Putting in a beet makes it the most beautiful golden color once boiled! Try it!

I use carrots, parsnip, celery, beet,squash, sweet potato and salt with 4 bottoms to 10 qts. Probably 4 tbs salt.

amother
Sage

Post Sun, Jan 22 2023, 1:56 pm
I put in chicken carcass, 1pkg of chicken necks, a meat bone (that does not have meat on it).
1 onion cut in half or quarters, 2 cloves of garlic cut in thirds, 2 or 3 stalks of celery, 3 carrots. Bring to a boil. Skim the water and turn down the flame.
Up to 1 Tblsp kosher salt, pepper, sprinkle of tumeric, seasoned salt, sprinkle of roasted garlic & peppers spice, 1 or 2 frozen dill cubes, 1 cube frozen or dried parsley, 1 tsp lemon juice.
Simmer for hours (4-6). The house smells like Gan Eden while it cooks.

amother
Mistyrose

Post Sun, Jan 22 2023, 2:10 pm
I don't use chicken bones, I use 4 pcs of skinned chicken bottoms. I found when I used the bones it had an unpleasant strong flavor and it was cloudy. I also try to simmer the soup after its brought to an initial boil.

amother
OP

Post Sun, Jan 22 2023, 2:12 pm
amother Sage wrote:
I put in chicken carcass, 1pkg of chicken necks, a meat bone (that does not have meat on it).
1 onion cut in half or quarters, 2 cloves of garlic cut in thirds, 2 or 3 stalks of celery, 3 carrots. Bring to a boil. Skim the water and turn down the flame.
Up to 1 Tblsp kosher salt, pepper, sprinkle of tumeric, seasoned salt, sprinkle of roasted garlic & peppers spice, 1 or 2 frozen dill cubes, 1 cube frozen or dried parsley, 1 tsp lemon juice.
Simmer for hours (4-6). The house smells like Gan Eden while it cooks.

I once tried using the dill cubes and it ended up making the soup all “dirty”. Do you have another trick for that or you don’t mind the green all over?

amother
OP

Post Sun, Jan 22 2023, 2:13 pm
Also how do you skim a soup?

twogees

Post Sun, Jan 22 2023, 2:18 pm
I make mine in the crockpot. We love it that way. I put it up late Thursday night and leave it on low.

amother
Sage

Post Sun, Jan 22 2023, 2:21 pm
I skim the soup with a spoon. I lightly pass the spoon over the top of the soup to remove the scum when it reaches the boiling point.
After it's cooked I separate the chicken bones and veg with a slotted spoon.
I use a very fine mesh strainer to pour the soup through after it is cooked and solids are removed. It catches the dill and parsley,etc.
I make a big batch of soup and freeze in containers.

amother
Honeysuckle

Post Sun, Jan 22 2023, 2:29 pm
I put in :
2 chicken bottoms in a net
1 big sweet potato
1-2 zucchini
2 onions
1 big carrot
1 rutabaga (or any root veggie)
fresh dill in those bug catcher bags that have a hechsure
I put everything in the pot and boil the chicken soup once, covered. Then I simmer it from Thurday night till right before Shabbos, again covered.
I then add 1 tbs of salt. The smell and taste is heavenly. The souo gets a deep gold colour.

doodlesmom

Post Sun, Jan 22 2023, 3:25 pm
amother OP wrote:

I found when using bottoms vs bones there was no need for straining and skimming, unless someone messes the soup up.

#BestBubby

Post Sun, Jan 22 2023, 3:35 pm
amother OP wrote:

Use a big serving spoon to skim the Grey scum on top of the soup.

amother
Mauve

Post Sun, Jan 22 2023, 6:41 pm
amother OP wrote:

Never had to skim mine!

amother
Aqua

Post Sun, Jan 22 2023, 7:40 pm
So interesting. I don't skim my soup or boil the water first or even use a net for the vegetables, and my soup is always really clear and delicious!

I put in the pot:
2 lbs Chicken bones (fresh or frozen)
6 - 8 carrots
1 zuchinni
small sweet potato
onion

Fill up most of the pot with water
add salt

Boil up and then lower to a simmer once it's bubbling.

And that's it.

When done, after cooking for around six hours, I pour out the soup to avoid it getting any bits in from the bones and veg. And then I add back in some carrots.

octopus

Post Sun, Jan 22 2023, 8:10 pm
Why is anyone throwing away chicken soup water? Why are you making it way more difficult than it has to be. Keep an eye when the scuz comes up and take a spoon and get all the foam and brown yucky things off. Just spoon it out. That's all you have to do. Plus how many pieces of chicken are you putting into your soup? You should be putting in 4. Two tops and two bottoms. I find if you don't put in tops (only 4 bottoms) doesn't have same flavor. Make sure you are putting enough salt in the soup. Some vegetables that add beautiful flavor: large individual carrots(nothing else compares!) About 4, Parsnip (looks like a white carrot) about 1 or 2. Large onion ,clove of fresh garlic 4 stalks celery, fresh dill and parsley, salt to taste.
ETA I do about 14 cups of water possibly a little more.

Last edited by octopus on Sun, Jan 22 2023, 8:13 pm; edited 2 times in total

octopus

Post Sun, Jan 22 2023, 8:10 pm
Some people add zucchini as well

Ema of 5

Post Sun, Jan 22 2023, 8:59 pm
octopus wrote:
Why is anyone throwing away chicken soup water? Why are you making it way more difficult than it has to be. Keep an eye when the scuz comes up and take a spoon and get all the foam and brown yucky things off. Just spoon it out. That's all you have to do. Plus how many pieces of chicken are you putting into your soup? You should be putting in 4. Two tops and two bottoms. I find if you don't put in tops (only 4 bottoms) doesn't have same flavor. Make sure you are putting enough salt in the soup. Some vegetables that add beautiful flavor: large individual carrots(nothing else compares!) About 4, Parsnip (looks like a white carrot) about 1 or 2. Large onion ,clove of fresh garlic 4 stalks celery, fresh dill and parsley, salt to taste.

I only use thighs, and I don’t put ANY spices in my soup. Between the chicken, the pupiks, and the vegetables, there is plenty of flavor.

amother
Aqua

Post Sun, Jan 22 2023, 9:05 pm
octopus wrote:

Not sure if you're refering to me, but when I wrote 'pour out' I meant that once it's ready I pour it into smaller containers, I generally divide it into two weeks. And in order to keep it clear, I pour the soup out from the pot, rather than first removing the chicken and veg.
Page 2 of 3 Previous  1  2  3  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Shabbos, Rosh Chodesh, Fast Days, and other Days of Note