Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
Six year old leaking number one and two daily
1  2  Next

amother
OP

Post Sat, Feb 04 2023, 8:59 pm
My daughter is six and was trained uneventfully a few months shy of three.

Since she is 4 she has been leaking number one during the day. It is never a full blown accident with a puddle just leaking becuase if you ignore your bladders urge to go it will eventually start coming out on its own. We believe it only started at 4 because until then you are pretty hyper focused on the kids bathroom situtation constantly sending them, its a big part of the school day for three years old etc and at around 4 you lay back a little.

Around a year ago she started leaking number two as well. The first Urologist we went to told us that she is not emptying out her whole bladder and she put her on a muscle relaxer to help her empty out the whole thing. We saw an improvement in number one but not number two and the urologist said any leaks number one or number two she is having is "busy girl syndrome" she cant be bothered to go to the bathroom when she feels the urge and then it just comes out on its own.

I did not accept that, I wanted a medical cure and went to a new urologist who took her off all meds and said shes very constipated and she cant begin to treat her until her bowels are clean, give her a lot of fiber and come back in a month. We did that and a month later the urologist said there is still too much number two in her bowels go to a GI.

It was like a three month wait for an appoointment with the GI and during that time she barely had any number one leaks and number two maybe once a week. I really did not like the GI at all. We told her why we there and she was not impressed, told us she does not know why hurologists alwasy send these cases to a GI it belongs to the urologist. She told us to keep a number two diary and call her in two weeks so she will see whats going on. At that point my daughter was doing so well, and this GI was really rude I just said its "busy girl syndrome" not medical and did not keep the diary.

The past month or so my daughter is leaking number one and two daily. I really and truly now believe thats its her just not bothering to go to the bathroom and for some strange reason she doenst mind being dirty. I think its primarly her fault and not a real medical issue but doctors can help us get her on a very strict bathroom routine and then this will solve a lot of the problem if we regulate her. My husband wants to go the mental health route and pay thousands to a pediatric pysch cuz we never had hatzlocha with the medical route.

I am so at the end of my rope with her. I just need her to go the toliet like a normal six year old. Did anyone have this? Any advice?

BrisketBoss

Post Sat, Feb 04 2023, 9:04 pm
I think the urologist is probably right. There's still a poop mass in there causing trouble.

amother
Turquoise

Post Sat, Feb 04 2023, 9:07 pm
encopresis - google this.
Is this what’s happening?
It’s recently started with my 5 almost 6 year old. I explained to him what’s happening. He doesn’t like it of course she now he poops every day. Either morning or after school. And this week hasn’t had this happen.
We also started limiting how much dairy just to be safe. Encouraged more water drinking during the day so less at night (he didn’t bed wet like the list on google but he woke up several times a night to go). He hasn’t complained of stomach ache

Anyways read about this and see if it’s related

amother
Turquoise

Post Sat, Feb 04 2023, 9:08 pm
Reward systems work for this age

Buy whatever she likes on Amazon. Stickers. Fidgets. Whatever these girls like. And tell her whenever she poops she gets one and whenever she has clean underwear she gets one. Kids love rewards!

amother
Poinsettia

Post Sat, Feb 04 2023, 9:09 pm
Hi,

Fellow encopresis Mom here!
This is what we experienced with my son. Happy to help

amother
Poinsettia

Post Sat, Feb 04 2023, 9:10 pm
amother Turquoise wrote:
Reward systems work for this age

Buy whatever she likes on Amazon. Stickers. Fidgets. Whatever these girls like. And tell her whenever she poops she gets one and whenever she has clean underwear she gets one. Kids love rewards!

Rewards don't work for encopresis though. Encopresis is not voluntary, the poop literally just leaks out

amother
Turquoise

Post Sat, Feb 04 2023, 9:11 pm
amother Poinsettia wrote:
Rewards don't work for encopresis though. Encopresis is not voluntary, the poop literally just leaks out

It is a reward if they poop everyday!!!
It leaks out cuz they hold it in and the soft poop comes around the hard poop.

Have your kid start pooping everyday for a prize. It should stop the leakage.

amother
Turquoise

Post Sat, Feb 04 2023, 9:13 pm
I literally have done it a week. He poops daily and now has no leakage. So clearly it’s the pooping thing. He knows he will have leakage if he holds it in to play. So he either poops before school or after school. 7 days and not one leakage incident

amother
OP

Post Sat, Feb 04 2023, 9:20 pm
amother Turquoise wrote:
encopresis - google this.
Is this what’s happening?
It’s recently started with my 5 almost 6 year old. I explained to him what’s happening. He doesn’t like it of course she now he poops every day. Either morning or after school. And this week hasn’t had this happen.
We also started limiting how much dairy just to be safe. Encouraged more water drinking during the day so less at night (he didn’t bed wet like the list on google but he woke up several times a night to go). He hasn’t complained of stomach ache

Anyways read about this and see if it’s related

I believe that can be exactly her problem but I need guidance how to “clean her out.” Don’t jsut tell me use miralax as needed. My sister had a similar thing with her kid and the urologist gave her very clear instructions how much laxatives water etc. it was over a two week period. The first few days very heavy till she basically had diarrhea and then it relaxed a bit. I need guidance exactly what to do three doctors in I’m still waiting. Oh I actually forgot an important point. The GI did not do any ultra sounds she just felt her and said she’s not constipated. I told use that both previous urologists did ultra sounds and saw too much constipation. She said if u do an ultra sound you will always see…. But she was so good when she went to the gi and now
She regressed. Could be she was so good because she was in fact not constipated then…

amother
OP

Post Sat, Feb 04 2023, 9:24 pm
Hi,

Fellow encopresis Mom here!
This is what we experienced with my son. Happy to help

Was he leaking number one also or just two?

amother
Sienna

Post Sat, Feb 04 2023, 9:25 pm
Read the book “It’s No Accident” by Dr. Steve J Hodges and then do the enemas and the MOPS protocol.

I had trouble with my son from age 4 until age 8 1/2 and I bounced between urologists and GI and PT and all kinds of things. 2 weeks after starting the MOPS protocol things finally started getting under control. I have to say that what you are describing is actually dangerous for your daughter to be going through and she should be getting daily enemas for a month in my opinion to clean her out.

Good luck. Please just ask me any questions on this site even though I am anonymous. I went through pee and poop purgatory for years and now my son is doing amazingly well bli ayin hara.

BrisketBoss

Post Sat, Feb 04 2023, 9:26 pm
amother OP wrote:
I believe that can be exactly her problem but I need guidance how to “clean her out.” Don’t jsut tell me use miralax as needed. My sister had a similar thing with her kid and the urologist gave her very clear instructions how much laxatives water etc. it was over a two week period. The first few days very heavy till she basically had diarrhea and then it relaxed a bit. I need guidance exactly what to do three doctors in I’m still waiting. Oh I actually forgot an important point. The GI did not do any ultra sounds she just felt her and said she’s not constipated. I told use that both previous urologists did ultra sounds and saw too much constipation. She said if u do an ultra sound you will always see…. But she was so good when she went to the gi and now
She regressed. Could be she was so good because she was in fact not constipated then…

A lot of people have success with MOPS, you can look up books on it. Involves a regimen of enemas

amother
Hyssop

Post Sat, Feb 04 2023, 9:30 pm
I'm struggling with my 5 year old son - only dirty leakage, not wet at all...
with MOPS do you use the regular over the counter enemas that you get in the pharmacy...?

amother
Sienna

Post Sat, Feb 04 2023, 9:48 pm
Fleet pedialax enemas 2.25 oz. I bought them in bulk on Amazon, it’s much cheaper that way than in drugstores.

amother
Turquoise

Post Sat, Feb 04 2023, 9:51 pm
amother OP wrote:

Just make her poop. Does that not work? My son poops cuz I remind him to book either morning or after school. He has no constipation. Kids are generally active poop shouldn’t be so hard.

amother
Turquoise

Post Sat, Feb 04 2023, 9:52 pm
amother Hyssop wrote:
I'm struggling with my 5 year old son - only dirty leakage, not wet at all...
with MOPS do you use the regular over the counter enemas that you get in the pharmacy...?

Can you not just get him to poop once a day by telling him to not have leakage he needs to poop? I’m pretty sure it’s uncomfortable for them.

I also feel bad that I would get upset at it happening before I knew what it was.

amother
Poinsettia

Post Sat, Feb 04 2023, 9:54 pm
amother OP wrote:
Was he leaking number one also or just two?

Both. Even though we got #2 pretty much under control he still leaks pee a lot. Due to backup putting pressure on bladder.

Great book by Steven Hodges called why accidents happen and how to make them stop. Was so helpful for us to understand

amother
Poinsettia

Post Sat, Feb 04 2023, 9:55 pm
amother Turquoise wrote:
It is a reward if they poop everyday!!!
It leaks out cuz they hold it in and the soft poop comes around the hard poop.

Have your kid start pooping everyday for a prize. It should stop the leakage.

Sometimes they can't get out that blockage and need a cleanout/ regular maintenance meds to retrain colon.
The colon actually forgot how to feel when a poop is approaching

amother
Begonia

Post Sat, Feb 04 2023, 9:56 pm
Use calm magnesium daily to poop. Instead of miralax. 1 tsp if that's not making her have a soft poop can do up to 2 tsp. (Follow directions on bottle) But really you should have a GI on board..or what about her pediatrician.
But I agree the accidents are very possibly from constipation.

amother
Turquoise

Post Sat, Feb 04 2023, 9:58 pm
Sometimes they can't get out that blockage and need a cleanout/ regular maintenance meds to retrain colon.
The colon actually forgot how to feel when a poop is approaching

Interesting. I guess we didn’t have that issue BH! Best of luck!
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics