Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Kugels and Side Dishes
Jachnun

yOungM0mmy

Post Tue, Jun 03 2008, 9:02 am
I put jachnun in my cholent, but I think I'm doing something wrong... I lay it on a piece of parchment paper, and stick it about halfway into the sauce. But by the time Shabbos day comes, its pretty soggy (my cholent is not so dry - DH doesnt like it that way). Is it supposed to be soggy???

Thanks for all advice.

Tamiri

Post Tue, Jun 03 2008, 9:42 am
Jachnun is usually baked by itself, in Yemenite homes. It doesn't need liquid. I would bake it before Shabbat (which is what I did when I served this dough), and then just put it on top of the cholent, not inside it, right before Shabbat. Or, heat on the plata and serve separately.

DefyGravity

Post Tue, Jun 03 2008, 9:44 am
I rub it with oil, and place it on top of the cholent - completely frozen - when I first start the cholent.

redt85

Post Fri, Jun 06 2008, 10:07 am
I would not recommend parchment paper. there is another company that is not sabra that has pre-made jachnun and we have found it to be so much easier. I just wrap it in tin foil before shabbos and put it on top of the crock pot and done.

chaylizi

Post Fri, Jun 06 2008, 10:09 am
hate to sound ignorant, but what is it?

Tamiri

Post Fri, Jun 06 2008, 10:15 am
Do you know what malawach is? It's a dough made of flour and TONS of margerine. The dough is spread out very thin, shmeared with margerine, then folded over and spread out again, shmeared etc. over and over again. So you get sheets and sheets of dough, but since it's folded over you don't see the separate sheets until you heat the dough and eat it. Malawach is heated in a heavy pan. Each portion is rolled out, like pizza, to fit the size of the pan. Then heated thru and thru, tossed on a plate and eaten with schug (yemenite hot salsa), grated tomatoes, maybe a hard boiled egg. It's divine. For jachnun, the dough is rolled into loafs a bit thicker than a hotdog, and about that legnth. You get the picture. Like a long Yodel. The Yemenites. put the dough rolls in a special pot and heat it up to eat on Shabbat morning with condiments as described for malawach.
The doughs are killers because of the margerine. I don't know how they made it in Yemen, maybe with samneh (clarified butter) between the layers, to be eaten as dairy? They have all these delicious doughs, mostly fried and/or full of oil, yet they were always so thin. I stayed in the back yard room of a yemenite family one year while visiting Israel and got to sample so many goodies that made me feel ill afterwards, but tasted so good during!

chaylizi

Post Fri, Jun 06 2008, 10:29 am
sounds good. probably not for me though, I'm very senstitive to fatty foods. thanks for the explanation.

Emee

Post Fri, Jun 06 2008, 10:40 am
I put mine in the chulent also and if it is a wetter chulent then it comes out a bit softer but not soggy and if the chulent is more dry then dry. You might try wrapping it in tin foil.

Rikola

Post Fri, Jun 13 2008, 10:12 am
I rub the entire jachnoon with parve margarine and wrap it in foil. I place it at the top of the cholent and try not to completely submerge it in the liquid, just rest it on top. Cover the cholent and let it cook away (I cook my cholent in the oven, not sure if a crock pot would be different?). Comes out great every week. I've used Sabra and another brand I can't recall right now, they've always come out delicious.

Lovemylife

Post Thu, Jun 19 2008, 11:12 pm
My mother in law makes and freezes it for me. I use an old fashioned jichnun pot, rub the entire bottom and sides with margerine and then put the jichnun pieces in (still frozen) then put a piece of silver foil on top and put eggs on the silver foil.

Place in oven at about 6 ish friday at 220 and leave it there until shabbos morning when you wake up to the yummmmyy smell and have it before shul.

Pizza

Post Fri, Jun 20 2008, 12:50 am
I lay the jachnoun on top of my chulent before shabbos
It comes out soggy, but we are not looking for the authentic jachnoun experience - for us, its more of a kishke alternative. Something yummy and starchy to serve as a hot side dish. Most people looooove it. It absorbs some of the chulent flavor, and goes down real smooth.

Silly ashkenazim. Rolling Eyes
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Kugels and Side Dishes