Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Shopping
Groceries budget

amother
OP

Post Sun, Feb 19 2023, 8:21 am
How much do you spend a month on groceries and for how many people?
(And if you feel comfortable, where do you live?

amother
Cherry

Post Sun, Feb 19 2023, 8:22 am
OOT tristate- close to $1000 a month - family of 4 including one with allergies so we have to buy a nice amount of specialty food

amother
NeonPink

Post Sun, Feb 19 2023, 8:29 am
Family of 6 approx 1600$ which includes paper goods, some detergents, and some meat and chicken

amother
OP

Post Sun, Feb 19 2023, 9:13 am
Trying to figure out what’s normal, I feel like I spend so much

amother
Steelblue

Post Sun, Feb 19 2023, 9:40 am
Us and a baby= 800$ a month

amother
Hotpink

Post Sun, Feb 19 2023, 9:42 am
3 kids under 9, 2 adults. $1200-1500 a month inflation really is tough

amother
Aquamarine

Post Sun, Feb 19 2023, 9:46 am
5 kids. We spend $1400 month on groceries alone.
On top of that we eat out a couple of times a month.
Doesn’t include other household expenses

amother
OP

Post Sun, Feb 19 2023, 1:13 pm
amother Steelblue wrote:
Us and a baby= 800$ a month

We literally try for this and don’t make it. Am I buying crazy stuff or something I can’t figure it out.

amother
Steelblue

Post Sun, Feb 19 2023, 1:30 pm
amother OP wrote:
We literally try for this and don’t make it. Am I buying crazy stuff or something I can’t figure it out.

We live in lakwoodmand shop at npgs and Walmart. We try to buy the frozen meat and chicken sales which helps.

amother
Hotpink

Post Sun, Feb 19 2023, 1:39 pm
amother OP wrote:

How many people in your family? Are you home for shbbs or away? Does your dh only eat fleishig for dinner like mine does? (Or fish- no lower cost dinners , he doesn’t like dairy or other pareve)

ittsamother

Post Sun, Feb 19 2023, 1:47 pm
So here's my question - so many people tell me "I can't cook x y or z cuz my husband doesn't like it." Why can't he eat something he doesn't like once or twice a week, if it means you can set a better budget? BH my husband will eat everything. Fish, pasta, chicken, meat, soup... But there are some dishes he doesn't like much but I love, so he'll put up with it once in a while, and vice versa. If you were making meatballs and spaghetti for supper and one kid said they don't like it, do you make something else or do you say, "Honey, for the good of the family eat something that you don't really enjoy once in a while"? Meat or chicken for supper every single night is costly. Why can't pasta with a good filling soup or some fish make do sometimes?

amother
Hotpink

Post Sun, Feb 19 2023, 1:47 pm
ittsamother wrote:
So here's my question - so many people tell me "I can't cook x y or z cuz my husband doesn't like it." Why can't he eat something he doesn't like once or twice a week, if it means you can set a better budget? BH my husband will eat everything. Fish, pasta, chicken, meat, soup... But there are some dishes he doesn't like much but I love, so he'll put up with it once in a while, and vice versa. If you were making meatballs and spaghetti for supper and one kid said they don't like it, do you make something else or do you say, "Honey, for the good of the family eat something that you don't really enjoy once in a while"? Meat or chicken for supper every single night is costly. Why can't pasta with a good filling soup or some fish make do sometimes?

He just won’t Smile
If I try it he will go buy takeout which ends up costing more and is not as healthful

amother
Cherry

Post Sun, Feb 19 2023, 1:57 pm
ittsamother wrote:

My husband isn't picky, except he's lactose intolerant. And I'm not picky, except fish makes me throw up when I'm pregnant or nursing or PMSing. And my child isn't picky, except she's allergic to chicken, eggs and wheat.
No one is being picky for the sake or being picky, but making something that someone won't eat means I'm making a second supper, which I can only manage twice a week. (Except eggs, those arent served ever)

bsimcharabba

Post Sun, Feb 19 2023, 2:03 pm
Just my husband and I about $500 a month. He doesn’t eat dairy and we don’t eat out. We’re in 5T/FR

amother
Hawthorn

Post Sun, Feb 19 2023, 2:12 pm
bsimcharabba wrote:
Just my husband and I about $500 a month. He doesn’t eat dairy and we don’t eat out. We’re in 5T/FR

Wow! You must be an amazing budgetter! Do you host for Shabbos? How many times a month are you out for Shabbos?

amother
Razzmatazz

Post Sun, Feb 19 2023, 2:26 pm
I don’t mean this in a snarky manner but what difference does it make what any other family spends.

You have your income. You have your fixed expenses. You have your financial goals which should include savings. You have specific life style issues beyond the obvious like family size which include whether both parents work and therefore realistically less time to cook and perhaps makes more sense to spend a bit more so meals are easier either by buying some ready to cook food and/or spending more for easy to cook foods like chicken or salmon filets. Some people place more priority on food versus other expenditures and some are more willing to cut corners on food to save money.

All anyone can advise is to determine what your net income is and what is a realistic amount given your budget. Then meaningful advice can be given as to how to eat well and healthily within that budget.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics