Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Our Challenging Children (gifted, ADHD, sensitive, defiant)
Shadow for preschooler

amother
OP

Post Thu, Mar 02 2023, 3:10 pm
My child is out of control. Nothing we are trying is helping. Gets sent home every other day. The school basically kicked him out for the coming year and is now requesting a shadow for the remainder of this year. Does anyone know the going rate? Ny

mha3484

Post Thu, Mar 02 2023, 3:18 pm
How old is your child? What kind of program are they in now?

amother
OP

Post Thu, Mar 02 2023, 3:20 pm
mha3484 wrote:
How old is your child? What kind of program are they in now?

Kindergarten. Mainstream program

amother
Firebrick

Post Thu, Mar 02 2023, 3:22 pm
A shadow is just a band-aid. Why don't you get a proper eval and get help for him?

ynmets

Post Thu, Mar 02 2023, 3:23 pm
I work with kids in Special Ed in mainstream schools. You can PM me if you'd like and I'd gladly give you some suggestions.

mha3484

Post Thu, Mar 02 2023, 3:24 pm
Personally, 5 is not the age yet that gets embarrassed by a shadow but I don't think it is always so effective long term for learning real skills. My son struggled majorly in pre1a and 1st grade so ages (5-7) and the best thing I did for him was skip the shadow and put him in a program for behavioral issues for 2nd grade. The tiny class with two teachers did more for him then a shadow would have. Hes in 6th grade now and a whole different kid.

Also if you go the shadow route, I think you need some sort of agreement/contract with the school about when you can get rid of it. I know a few friends who have been burned when they wanted to get rid of the shadow and the school would not allow it.

amother
OP

Post Thu, Mar 02 2023, 3:25 pm
amother Firebrick wrote:
A shadow is just a band-aid. Why don't you get a proper eval and get help for him?

I'm well aware of that. He's in the process of getting eval and more help and support. We're working on everything. I'm literally looking for a bandaid while we wait for answers. Needs to be in school in the meantime

amother
OP

Post Thu, Mar 02 2023, 3:28 pm
mha3484 wrote:
Personally, 5 is not the age yet that gets embarrassed by a shadow but I don't think it is always so effective long term for learning real skills. My son struggled majorly in pre1a and 1st grade so ages (5-7) and the best thing I did for him was skip the shadow and put him in a program for behavioral issues for 2nd grade. The tiny class with two teachers did more for him then a shadow would have. Hes in 6th grade now and a whole different kid.

Also if you go the shadow route, I think you need some sort of agreement/contract with the school about when you can get rid of it. I know a few friends who have been burned when they wanted to get rid of the shadow and the school would not allow it.

Looking into a special program for the coming year as well. But there's problems with my school district paying for the special Ed programs and they are a fortune

#BestBubby

Post Thu, Mar 02 2023, 3:28 pm
How does DS behave at home?

amother
OP

Post Thu, Mar 02 2023, 3:31 pm
#BestBubby wrote:
How does DS behave at home?

Not as out of control as in school. I can manage him. But far from how he should be behaving

ectomorph

Post Thu, Mar 02 2023, 3:46 pm
Op, I have a child in kindergarten with a shadow. Feel free to pm me.

amother
Aubergine

Post Thu, Mar 02 2023, 10:34 pm
I’m looking for a program for my child who will be in kindergarten next year. She has behavioral and speech issues. So far no one is willing to take her. What programs have u looked at if your in the ny area?

amother
OP

Post Thu, Mar 02 2023, 11:36 pm
amother Aubergine wrote:
I’m looking for a program for my child who will be in kindergarten next year. She has behavioral and speech issues. So far no one is willing to take her. What programs have u looked at if your in the ny area?
looking into sinai
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> Our Challenging Children (gifted, ADHD, sensitive, defiant)