Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Fish
Baked gefilte fish?

sa613

Post Thu, Nov 11 2010, 3:08 am
I've seen a lot of references here to "baked gefilte fish". What is it and how do you make it? I'm only familiar with the loaves that you boil.

Liba

Post Thu, Nov 11 2010, 3:21 am
I take my loaf, put it in a pan with a bit of water (still in the wrapper) cover the pan and bake it in the oven for an hour, hour and a half. It is a lot more flavorful and doesn't taste boiled out that way.

sa613

Post Thu, Nov 11 2010, 3:27 am
With sugar, carrot, onion, etc? Water halfway or less?

Liba

Post Thu, Nov 11 2010, 3:33 am
I don't add carrot, as much as we like to have carrots they never fully cooked when we baked them. I just add water 1/4-1/3 of the way up, nothing else. You can add more water if you don't want to cover it because the paper will wick the water and it evaporates quickly.

Other people have success baking the carrots and onion, I have no idea why mine didn't work, but it is worth a try! If you like you fish with sugar, try that too... Just because I don't do it doesn't mean you shouldn't. Smile

GreenEyes26

Post Thu, Nov 11 2010, 7:26 am
I put mine in a loaf pan, sometimes cover it with tomato sauce, sometimes just sprinkle on some black pepper. Bake at 400 until crispy and firm. It's so good that way, a nice crispy chewy crust with the smooth fish inside. Yum!

de_goldy

Post Thu, Nov 11 2010, 8:19 am
I put in the oven uncovered, drizzle a little oil over the top of the loaves so they brown nicely, bake on 375 for an hour and a half. no water.

Mamish Mama

Post Thu, Nov 11 2010, 8:58 am
I take mine out of the wrapper put it in a pan with water on the bottom. I spoon a layer of old fashioned dijon mustard on the loaf then encrust the entire thing with caramelized onions. Bake covered for 45 min uncover for an additional 15 - 350 degrees.

We rarely eat gef fish but when we do this recipe gets gobbled up.

PinkFridge

Post Thu, Nov 11 2010, 4:09 pm
Mamish Mama wrote:
I take mine out of the wrapper put it in a pan with water on the bottom. I spoon a layer of old fashioned dijon mustard on the loaf then encrust the entire thing with caramelized onions. Bake covered for 45 min uncover for an additional 15 - 350 degrees.

Sounds great but even having defrosted the fish this seems like too low a temp for too little time. Any tweaking you've done?

RedTwizzler

Post Fri, Nov 26 2010, 12:30 am
When you bake the fish with the sauce do you cover the fish?

Yulka

Post Fri, Nov 26 2010, 10:34 am
I defrost the loaf and pour duck sauce on top. cover and bake for an hour at 350. sometimes I uncover it at the end. It tastes great either way.

chilled

Post Fri, Nov 26 2010, 10:39 am
You can bake it just as you would boil it:

Put loaves in a pan, in the wrapper. Put a cupfull of sugar, some salt and pepper, fill halfway with water, cover the pan, and bake on 350 for a few hours. the more you bake it, the less fishy it will taste...

yOungM0mmy

Post Sun, Nov 28 2010, 3:12 pm
I bake it with fried onions on the bottom of a loaf pan, then gefilte fish loaf, covered by a mixture of tomato sauce and dried basil, sun dried tomatoes and more fried onions. Bake uncovered 1/2 hr, then covered for 1 hour. I'm actually allergic to fish, so have never tried it, but all my guests, including sefardim who "don't eat gefilte fish" have loved it.

PinkFridge

Post Sun, Nov 28 2010, 4:20 pm
Mamish Mama wrote:

I tried it and it was great! But it did need more time.

Mevater

Post Wed, Apr 20 2022, 5:45 pm
chilled wrote:
You can bake it just as you would boil it:

Put loaves in a pan, in the wrapper. Put a cupfull of sugar, some salt and pepper, fill halfway with water, cover the pan, and bake on 350 for a few hours. the more you bake it, the less fishy it will taste...

A few hours? Wouldnt it develop a skin?

Whats the average baking time for a few loaves in a tin at 350, if you want it fully cooked but dont want it developing a tough skin?

tia

Balabroomstick

Post Wed, Apr 20 2022, 8:40 pm
Personally, I don’t bake it with water. I add it with the paper to the loaf pan and bake at 350 for an hour and 15 min covered then uncover for an additional 15 min. I hate watery Gefilte fish so this method makes it nice and firm!

Cheiny

Post Wed, Apr 20 2022, 8:48 pm
sa613 wrote:
I've seen a lot of references here to "baked gefilte fish". What is it and how do you make it? I'm only familiar with the loaves that you boil.

I remove wrapper, pour salsa over fish, cover and bake for 90 minutes.

Or, you can smear with a mix of mayo and tomato sauce, and sprinkle with corn flake crumbs, cover and back same as above.

Or cover with marinara sauce, add some raw veggies on side, zucchini rounds, colored peppers, whatever you like, cover and bake as above.

Mevater

Post Thu, Mar 09 2023, 7:31 pm
GitHaz29 wrote:
Personally, I don’t bake it with water. I add it with the paper to the loaf pan and bake at 350 for an hour and 15 min covered then uncover for an additional 15 min. I hate watery Gefilte fish so this method makes it nice and firm!

And 1 1/2 hours later you dont have blackened paper?

BaltoMom65

Post Thu, Mar 09 2023, 7:46 pm
Remove loaf from wrapping, place in loaf pan. Cover it with parsley and dill, bake at 400 for 30 minutes uncovered, then cover with foil and bake another 50 minutes. OR take loaf into pan, drizzle with honey. Garlic powder, onion powder and paprika. Bake at 400 for 30 minutes and covered for 50 minutes

Balabroomstick

Post Thu, Mar 09 2023, 8:53 pm
[quote="Mevater"]And 1 1/2 hours later you dont have blackened paper?[/quote

No not at all it’s covered for the majority of the cooking time

mfb

Post Thu, Mar 09 2023, 9:02 pm
I bake in paper, with water about half way a bit of salt and some sugar.
If you have people that like the carrots you can use a can of sliced carrots.
I used to bake on 350 for 2 hours.
One week I forgot to make and it was late so I baked on 400 for 1.5 hours and kids liked it better.
I drain and remove paper as soon as it’s done baking.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics